Excise Tax on Tobacco Shipped Within the United States?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
There is a site Tobacco Pipes, Smoking Tobacco and Pipe Accessories (Huge Selection, Best Prices) - https://www.tobaccopipes.com/ who sells a lot of stuff to the rest of the country. I contacted them once years ago and was told that if i went to their store near Tampa, I would have to pay the 85%. If I choose to they would have shipped me tobacco and only charge me the state sales tax at i think 6%. I didn't need anything really but was more curious about how they sold to Florida residents. My buddy Hoosierpipeguy did a lot of business with them and since his main home was Indiana, he had no tax issues.
Seems kind of backwards doesn’t it.
I’ve done a lot of business with mark and I’m glad he doesn’t charge excise tax ?

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I own 20 acres of timber in Cedar County Missouri.

It’s been in my family since 1876.

For years the annual property tax was $9 and something, but a couple of years ago it was lowered to $8 and change.

That’s likely because of a decrease in the board foot price of timber.

Setting timberland tax rates ridiculously low in Missouri is done as a favor to the charcoal and white oak stave bolt industry. That’s good.

The bad is, that since I only pay a pouch of Borkum Riff’s worth of taxes a year, I have no incentive to sell it. This in turn drives timberland prices up to insane levels.

Nobody likes to pay taxes, themselves.

But they are all for taxing the other guy.

Missouri is 50th of 50 states in schoolteacher pay.

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
I just looked up and posted about the Tobacco Tax Equity Act that was introduced last year. That’s just lovely. ?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
It is just a matter of time before every state hits us with an excise tax and then refuses us the ability to order on line by passing the excise tax. Prices are going no where but up and I don't see an out unless somehow the pipe mfgs and dealers pull a rabbit out of their asses.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I so wish you were wrong, Harris, but I fear you are spot on.....

--
I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.

~ Abraham Lincoln

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Excise tax is fine, as long as online ordering remains. For many of us, any semblance of a local shop doesn't exist.
I believe that’s the issue, my local tobacco shops carry very little pipe tobacco as it’s considered bulk, unlike a cigar that is wrapped in a leaf, and therefore victim of excise. Makes no sense to me, maybe they should wrap the pipe tobacco in a leaf then tin it. For every law there seems to be 10 loopholes, until you live in places where the government controls every aspect of your life for your own good, or you loose freedom of making your own choices for someone else’s good. Let’s ban tobacco because some segment of the population smokes too much. The scary part is that there are people that are fine with that while whining about other government restrictions at the same time.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Hey there, I'm a newbie on the forum! Sorry to hear about your experience with paylesscigarsandpipes. That's definitely a bummer to see an unexpected charge like that, especially when you were excited about grabbing some tins.I didn't know about that, thanks for sharing!
I haven't personally seen this at any other vendors, but it's always good to do some research and read reviews before placing an order. Also, if you're looking for an easy way to keep track of your income and deductions, you might want to check out a paystub creator. It can help you create professional-looking financial papers. Anyway, I hope were able to find a different vendor for your cigar needs.
Is it a new smoker or is it spam ... hmmm

• Haha
Reactions: mingc and woodsroad

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Thanks for the info, to say i was shocked would be an understatement. Shame they have a few tins i wanted, just not at those prices.
Don’t blame the vendor. They are doing what they are required by law to do: act as tax collectors. Blame your state’s politicians and the people who elected them.

• Love
Reactions: warren