Ever Noticed How Vague A Pipe Census Is?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Having "stuff" is both freeing and oppressive. Freeing because you can go to your racks and pick out something as if you were at a shop and free to choose anything. Oppressive because material possessions require upkeep, maintenance, organizing, storing, selling, trading, gifting, and tracking. Theoretically, as many material goods should leave the premises as arrive, but this rarely occurs. The irrelevant buries the items you could value. Recycling is your friend.

beargreasediet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2021
Too close to Seattle.
I’m down to somewhere south of 50, I think. Would like to get that number down to half of that, we’ll see. I’ve given a few away and at least one of them I still miss (which seems mildly fucked if we’re being honest - the recipient is a friend and gets more use out of it than I ever did).

As has been said somewhere above, most have some sort of sentimental value due to the time, place, and manner of acquisition, representing a point in time I will never inhabit again. Better to fully inhabit now I suppose - that is the goal anyway.

Last edited:

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I know exactly how many pipes I have as I keep track of them in a Excel workbook along with my tobacco. Until I started doing that PAD and TAD were running rampant, often procuring something twice unintentionally. That said I have a lot of pipes (no I'm not going to disclose the number) and I expect to get around to smoking all of them at some point. My daily rotation consists of about 8 pipes that constitute my stalwarts into that group I'll inject others as the mood hits, once in awhile I'll sub out one of the stalwarts for another.

aspiring_sage

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
I can't answer becsause I don't know and it isn't worth knowing, specifically.
I only have about a dozen, but some are at my desk, and some at my other desk, and some with my tobacco, and some with my briefcase, and maybe one or two in the garage, maybe a cob in the truck...
Too much trouble to take a census. I'm sure I'd miss a couple.

Reactions: Papamique

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
How do you feel about taking a census of your pipes? Do you keep an updated account at all times, or do you let it slide and just enjoy finding an old "friend" you'd nearly forgotten from time to time? Do you clam up when someone asks you how many pipes you have?
I have more pipes than I need, and more tobacco than I need. That's enough of a census for me.

As for people asking me how many pipes I have I'll offer up a rough estimate, based on close to 100 of them being Family Era Barlings. Considering the sizes of a lot of collections, 400, 500, 1,000 pipes and more, there's nothing remarkable about my collection from a numbers standpoint. It's minuscule.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
So you guys are with pipes how I was with girlfriends. Yeah there is a point where you don't know if you've already counted one and then there is a point where you might have counted one three times. The difference is you can collect all your pipes into a big pile and count them one by one if you really want.

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020
I don’t mind on a forum like this here. In “real life” I don’t tell anyone for fear of someone robbing my house. I don’t walk around and tell people how many guns I have, how many pipes, or how much cash is in the house.

Because of this thread I am actually going to count this afternoon. The last time I counted I had 206 not including my cobs, kaywoodies, dr grabow, and broken pipes as these are going to be sold off or thrown out.

A friend of mine has over a thousand and half of those are high grade pipes worth $500-$5000. He puts my collection to shame and he refuses to go on forums or Facebook AND he is 10 years younger than me. Needless to say I admire him (and his pipe collection).

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
I don’t mind on a forum like this here. In “real life” I don’t tell anyone for fear of someone robbing my house. I don’t walk around and tell people how many guns I have, how many pipes, or how much cash is in the house.

Because of this thread I am actually going to count this afternoon. The last time I counted I had 206 not including my cobs, kaywoodies, dr grabow, and broken pipes as these are going to be sold off or thrown out.

A friend of mine has over a thousand and half of those are high grade pipes worth $500-$5000. He puts my collection to shame and he refuses to go on forums or Facebook AND he is 10 years younger than me. Needless to say I admire him (and his pipe collection).
you really think someone would steal a pipe collection.