Ever Noticed How Vague A Pipe Census Is?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Forums members often toss out vague estimates on how many pipes they own. I understand why. I am always reluctant to count my pipes, knowing I have many more than I need to have a fine rotation. It is, as they say, an embarrassment of riches.

The last serious count I made, and I counted twice, I had 92 pipes. Since then I have culled, trading off four or five to buy a pipe I felt was more worthy. So I think I have maybe one or two under the 92 count. This includes a dozen MM cobs and several pipes I don't smoke much, like a 14 inch clay from Holland.

But I have no desire to take the twenty minutes to count them all again, twice. I just feels like I'm rubbing it in, that I have that weakness for buying pipes.

How do you feel about taking a census of your pipes? Do you keep an updated account at all times, or do you let it slide and just enjoy finding an old "friend" you'd nearly forgotten from time to time? Do you clam up when someone asks you how many pipes you have?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
No I don't clam up answering how many I have. I only have about a dozen that I smoke. And 9 are briars that I haven't touched in months.

I did clam up two nights ago when my almost ten year old asked me what my most expensive pipe was. I want to stay married so I said "I'm not sure" 😂. Technically at the time, that was the truth.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
didi, that's impressive self-control. I take pride in how good some of my least expensive pipes are, in terms of rendering a good smoking experience. But I take pride in some of my up-market pipes, that smoke well and also have that extra glow of artisanal craft.

I have gotten to the place where many pipes that catch my eye give me second thoughts -- hey, I have one that fills that same niche and may have a little bigger chamber or a better cut stem.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I have way more than is reasonable but I do enjoy having them.

Some are sentimental and others were just too nice to not have in my collection. It was hard to admit that I actually had a “collection” but it’s the truth.

I do trade or sell some that just don’t bring me joy anymore but usually there’s nothing wrong with them other than I’m just not loving them anymore.

However, there’s a bunch that only get smoked occasionally and if I were to admit they weren’t part of the “collection” I’d probably have to let them go and I just don’t want to.

Counting them is therefore absolutely not allowed 😄

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I haven't taken count, but, I've considered going through the WAYS threads I've posted in to make and keep a spreadsheet to figure out what blend types I smoke in which pipes. I usually use a rough guide of lighter pipes for Virginias and darker ones for Englishes; things start getting more muddled when we get to VaPers. I've got a few briar, cherrywood, and olive pipes dedicated to aromatics, along with some cobs. I sort of group the pipes by brand or type (i.e., Meerschaum, Meerschaum-lined, metal capped, etc.) I've considered making multiple seven days sets with some of the marques I collect. It can take awhile to get through a full rotation.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
I've one meer, two cobs, and 21 briars. Is that too many? Oh, yes. Definitely. But I enjoy my collection, and most of my pipes, especially the briars, either serve a specific purpose or get smoked at least once a month. I think I'll buy one more 6-7 wooden pipe carousel and fill it up. That, along with my Peterson leather wall rack which, for some odd reason, I elected to fill its five slots with Stanwells, and I will have a very nice display for my enjoyment without overcrowding my room.

But man, when I finally hit that "Eureka!" moment when it came to pipe smoking, I started to aggressively buying pipes. I've managed to finally discipline myself and buy pipes occasionally with extra savings instead of buying on pure impulse. I do buy a good deal of baccy, but both space and the volume of my smoking (I average probably 1-2 bowls a day, if that) limit my need to overindulge.

Pipes, and other consumer goods, have not stopped me from being responsible, though I came close to overdoing it at one time. I don't feel embarassed by it. But I do try to keep to two rules. First, don't prioritize pipes over my responsibilities and necessities. Second, treat pipes as a "preferred indifferent," as the Stoics would say. To render that in plain English, that means I don't try to derive happiness or meaning from this consumer hobby; I prefer to have my pipes, but their absence, though not something I would enjoy, is not debilitating to me either.

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Y
Forums members often toss out vague estimates on how many pipes they own. I understand why. I am always reluctant to count my pipes, knowing I have many more than I need to have a fine rotation. It is, as they say, an embarrassment of riches.

The last serious count I made, and I counted twice, I had 92 pipes. Since then I have culled, trading off four or five to buy a pipe I felt was more worthy. So I think I have maybe one or two under the 92 count. This includes a dozen MM cobs and several pipes I don't smoke much, like a 14 inch clay from Holland.

But I have no desire to take the twenty minutes to count them all again, twice. I just feels like I'm rubbing it in, that I have that weakness for buying pipes.

How do you feel about taking a census of your pipes? Do you keep an updated account at all times, or do you let it slide and just enjoy finding an old "friend" you'd nearly forgotten from time to time? Do you clam up when someone asks you how many pipes you have?
Yes I do. I even post the list here.

Reactions: Nevaditude