PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I think we can still get Davidoff but very expensive,I will need to learn to like flake medallions.
I havent yet found a Scandanavik,or Borkam I like,never tried Clan as I was put off by reports of it smoking very hot.I am ok on one of the wolfway medusa blends (pyramid)though
Do you have any you can suggest?
Dunno man, I refuse to pay Davidoff prices for flake medallions. Yes they are a decent VaPerCav but I've had many many better tobaccos. I prefer trying to find ways to beat the system.

Basically in Greece we can get:
  • MacBaren Seven Seas line (semi decent hot air)
  • MacBaren Amphora full aroma (decent), Classic (vanilla - actually good)
  • Captain Black line
  • Skandinavic line
  • Borkum Riff line
  • Clan
  • Erinmore mix and flake at 17.50 and 18.50 euros respectively
  • Davidoff: Flake medallions (22.50), some aromatic cavendish stuff that I am not giving the time of day, a whisky one and a Latakia one.
  • Wolfway are probably the only tobacco found here that is nearly at the level of premium European blending but they're out of stock, and their website is advertising some CBD shit
    • Pyramid I actually really like
    • 1920 is not bad at all
    • their straight burley and Basma are very good
    • their straight Virginia not really like
Really REALLY depressing.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Dunno man, I refuse to pay Davidoff prices for flake medallions. Yes they are a decent VaPerCav but I've had many many better tobaccos. I prefer trying to find ways to beat the system.

Basically in Greece we can get:
  • MacBaren Seven Seas line (semi decent hot air)
  • MacBaren Amphora full aroma (decent), Classic (vanilla - actually good)
  • Captain Black line
  • Skandinavic line
  • Borkum Riff line
  • Clan
  • Erinmore mix and flake at 17.50 and 18.50 euros respectively
  • Davidoff: Flake medallions (22.50), some aromatic cavendish stuff that I am not giving the time of day, a whisky one and a Latakia one.
  • Wolfway are probably the only tobacco found here that is nearly at the level of premium European blending but they're out of stock, and their website is advertising some CBD shit
Really REALLY depressing.
I noticed that with wolfway, its still showing here

i did some googling when I looked before and the medusa stuff seems to be marketed differently.Maybe its been sold

Unfortunately my favourites are GH blends although I have stocked up a bit on S Gawith 1792 from Germany .i shall have to rely on visits to/ from the Uk
whats your thoughts on Erinmore?

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Unfortunately my favourites are GH blends although I have stocked up a bit on S Gawith 1792 from Germany .i shall have to rely on visits to/ from the Uk
I don't have a favourite from the estervals inventory, I got lots of them is the problem. SG, Peterson (Dunhill), some Dan, some K&K, some HU, some MacBaren. GH I really like a lot of their blends too, but I got other channels for these.

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
I found Dockworker very boring, and Tillerman gave me instant and relentless tongue bite from the charring light. Then I found out it's supposed to, or may have chili in it and nearly wanted to toss the tin out the window.
It took me a few bowls to like Tillerman then I got my head around the fact that its a an Aromatic which I don’t normally smoke.
I also like Flanagan Oriental and Burley who would have thought.

marconi

May 17, 2019
England
I've shied away from ordering the Germain flakes from estervals as they all have pretty low scores on TR. Also it is a great pity that G&H is not available in Germany. Like the callout on Ascanian, No2 is quickly developing into a big favourite of mine.

I found Dockworker very boring, and Tillerman gave me instant and relentless tongue bite from the charring light. Then I found out it's supposed to, or may have chili in it and nearly wanted to toss the tin out the window.
Germain blends are great Brown Flake, SLF, Rich Dark flake, Original latakia blend, Plum Cake,King Charles mixture etc they are unique blends and becoming increasingly difficult to come by. When a shipment arrives in its all gone the same day.
This is the company that makes Esterval blends and the similarities are obvious.

marconi

May 17, 2019
England
Germain blends are great Brown Flake, SLF, Rich Dark flake, Original latakia blend, Plum Cake,King Charles mixture etc they are unique blends and becoming increasingly difficult to come by. When a shipment arrives in its all gone the same day.
This is the company that makes Esterval blends and the similarities are obvious.
That should have read Esoterica blends.

Gus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Let's each keep our ideas about politics on our side of the Atlantic.
Well, maybe it is complicated, but it would be simpler for everyone if the EU charged the same taxes to buyers from outside the EU, the tax burden for EU residents would be lower since whoever wants a product manufactured or only available in the EU would have to pay the same taxes as other residents.

It is an idea that I heard in a local radio talk show and even some political parties were in favor of reviewing the laws for this type of purchases.... since it is considered unfair that a resident pays much more in taxes than a non-resident...a jurist spoke and commented that this, if it were to be raised judicially would have a strong basis because it is considered that residents are in inferior conditions to get the same products as a non-resident...

but I don't understand much of this, or rather I don't understand anything.....

what I do know is that, if from July 1st I have to pay a lot of taxes for any product I buy outside the EU.... I'm not going to buy almost anything, just the essentials.

It is curious, all my purchases of pipes in the USA, the last three, have made me pay import taxes, very high, two to Chinese artisans ....no, have let them pass ...

Gus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Anyway, Esterval does say that they will stop shipping to other EU countries, other German stores I buy from have replied that they will continue to ship to EU countries for the time being as they do now...

this is a complicated issue .... I don't know how big is Esterval's market in the EU to let it go without waiting for the law to come into force or wait to see if it is effective or not...the law goes much further than the sale and shipment of tobacco...I don't think it will be so easy to implement it and that all e-commerce can adapt to it, maybe, soon, we will see that there is a moratorium and they are given time to adapt...it would not be the first time it happens...

jackets

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2017
I have been tracking their prices for a couple of weeks and it seems to be creeping up for HU. I’ll be interested to see if the prices change at all when they stop shipping to other EU countries.