Essential or Not: What's Missing In Your Pipe Gear?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

9 Fresh Brigham Pipes
3 Fresh Konstantin Shekita Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
New Accessories

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
What's a common item that just never made it to your pipe shelf?

I've had a pipe for 20 years, but I have never owned an ashtray, pipe knocker, pipe rack, or pipe stand. Just curious who else has gone years or decades without a part of some "standard" kit.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Ashtray - I just use an empty round tin. Nice to have a lid.
Don't use a knocker, just stir the ash, dump, and wipe out the bowl.
I do have a pipe rack. It gives smoked pipes a good place to dry, keeps them organized, and I don't allow myself to buy any more than will fit on the rack, so it keeps "PAD" in check.
I use a leather pipe holder because I set my pipe down frequently during some smoke sessions.

Some people forego the tamper, but I find them useful since I don't care much for scorching my thumb.

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
I have yet to get a proper leather tobacco tray...solely because I have some leather I want to use to make one, and haven't been able to find where I stashed the roll of hide. :rolleyes: !!
Me too! I'm a woodworker and have tried my hand at leather making once or twice. I REALLY like it. But like woodworking and pipes and tobacco, it's really easy to outspend my availability.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
I don't own a buffing wheel and doubt that I ever will. I've bought too many over-buffed estate pipes where the name of the carver is barely legible and stain is removed. It's simply too easy to ruin a good pipe.
I just bought a set of buffing discs. I'll buff the bowl of an estate to a shine but I always do the stamps by hand for the same reason.