PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
As most of you know, there's been another Esoterica drop and it's beginning to show up at sellers.

But I learned something interesting, namely that B&Ms buying Esoterica to sell are being required by their distributor to also purchase pipes or no Esoterica. The more and more expensive the pipes they buy, the better their choice from the drop. I guess pipes from some makers just aren't moving, so this is the Tobacconist version of block bidding, where exhibitors had to pay for a studio's stinkers to get to screen their blockbusters.

For large outfits this isn't a major issue, but for small stores it's a money loser. So one store will be requiring it's customers to buy pipes to buy Esoterica, or they will be forced to drop Esoterica from their line up. They're losing money on it. They're just passing on what their distributor requires of them.

Anyway, Esoterica season is upon us, well, you, because I'm done buying any of it, especially after the execrable quality of the Dunbar I bought in 2021.

Thank you for the information.

I just stated in the morning that I am done buying tobacco in the short term, as I got everything I wanted except one single Esoterica that got away 😊

I also stated that since I generally don’t buy from secondary market, that Esoterica has gone away for good from my cellar 😀

Now that I see this, I will keep an eye out - but realistically I am no longer that interested.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
As most of you know, there's been another Esoterica drop and it's beginning to show up at sellers.

But I learned something interesting, namely that B&Ms buying Esoterica to sell are being required by their distributor to also purchase pipes or no Esoterica. The more and more expensive the pipes they buy, the better their choice from the drop. I guess pipes from some makers just aren't moving, so this is the Tobacconist version of block bidding, where exhibitors had to pay for a studio's stinkers to get to screen their blockbusters.

For large outfits this isn't a major issue, but for small stores it's a money loser. So one store will be requiring it's customers to buy pipes to buy Esoterica, or they will be forced to drop Esoterica from their line up. They're losing money on it. They're just passing on what their distributor requires of them.

Anyway, Esoterica season is upon us, well, you, because I'm done buying any of it, especially after the execrable quality of the Dunbar I bought in 2021.
Some online tobacco vendors don't really sell pipes. I wonder what happens to them.

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
Man I remember doing this when I worked in sales at a gaming company. Made me feel kind of scummy kind of forcing people to buy stock that is old and a hard sell so they can get the hot stuff that actually sells. Makes for a lot of hurt feelings all around.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Mine is not Penzance. I smoked through two different batches of Penzance - Fresh and aged. Fresh was good but I find many Balkans equally good or better. Aged Penzance was not that great for my taste.
Not a big fan of much they make just figured the fans that clicked on the thread would like to know in the event that they went looking for it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Since I don't care about Esoterica, this has nothing to do with me. I can tell you of a certain circumstance.

Back in the 80's my General sales manager would make me(sales manager) order all the cars and trucks. He knew I did it better than him. We always ran with at least 500 cars and trucks on the lot and some were such piss poor sellers that factory blackmailed us into buying some if we wanted other things. I haf a big truck department and ordered lots of plow trucks, dump trucks, wracks and cubes.

If I wanted the best colors of the Dodge Caravans I had to eat shit. Shit to any Dodge dealers are cream colored Dodge Aries which were hideous. There was another car but I forget what it was. I told my salesman who had to wait on these pukes go up stairs, pull the invoice, tell the customer he could have it for dead cost and had to do it in 15 minutes as time was money. There was only 500.00 worth of markup in an Aries so fighting back and forth for an hour over a few hundred bucks was a waste of time. I could sell a plow truck and make 2-4 grand.

This is the business world, it happens in many of them, the jewelry industry was one of the worst offenders.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Yep. I learned that a couple years ago. They'll load you up with plenty of overpriced, unwanted pipes and make you feel guilty about it.

Reactions: JOHN72
V

varrj

Stopped by my local b&m’s. Both had their drops. Pretty limited and neither had the Ramsgate I’m looking for. Guess I’ll have to wait for someone to flip some.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Just saw an 8oz bag of Stonehaven go on an auction site for $550!

It’s nice stuff, it’s not $70 an ounce nice.
Good grief!
People are free to list for any amount. Doesn't mean that it sells for that amount.
The cream colored bags, 1021 and earlier, have gone for that kind of money, generally to overseas buyers, who have no choice if they want the blend in question.

Status
Not open for further replies.