PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Do you have any Gawith/G&H recommendations? I've had Ennerdale and Best Brown no.2. Haven't really tried any of their Balkan or English blends.
Any to be honest. SG's Squadron leader is a really good English if you like that sort of thing. For the G&H I'd suggest taking pot luck on any of the flakes.
+1 Squadron Leader
BALKAN FLAKE
Dark Flake unscented
Full Virginia Flake
1792 (its got tonquin bean)
all so good

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've never had the pleasure of trying any of these but I found out a family member will be traveling across the pond and asked if I'd like anything from merry old England. Are Esoterica blends readily available or are they still a rare find even in their home country?
The Esoterica blends were created for the US market and are only for sale here. They're mostly semi aromatics and some of them are pretty good and unique. There are no equivalencies. In the UK you do have Germain's Rich Dark Flake, which is a kissing cousin to Esoterica Stonehaven, and I find it more interesting.

A lot of McClelland blends weren't better than everyone else, but their Grand Orientals were excellent, and their matured Red Virginias were superb. There are no equivalencies there, either. I also like their 2015 and 2010 bulk Virginias.

Gawith and Hoggarth are still turning out a first class product and I'm very fond of their Glengary Flake, among others.

You also might look into HU blends, available from Esterval's in Germany. MacBaren also turns out some excellent blends, as does Sutliff in the US. These companies have huge stocks of well aged leaf to work with.

The problem is that the tobacco business is undergoing a significant change as more and more sources dry up, growers turn to other crops, and blenders substitute components in their releases.

For the most part I'm not a big fan of what's currently being produced in the US, the exception being some of the Sutliff product, since they can work with stocks that date from before things started to go to hell. There just isn't the depth and complexity I've come to like. So I've stopped buying and will content myself with what I have.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
The Esoterica blends were created for the US market and are only for sale here. They're mostly semi aromatics and some of them are pretty good and unique. There are no equivalencies. In the UK you do have Germain's Rich Dark Flake, which is a kissing cousin to Esoterica Stonehaven, and I find it more interesting.

A lot of McClelland blends weren't better than everyone else, but their Grand Orientals were excellent, and their matured Red Virginias were superb. There are no equivalencies there, either. I also like their 2015 and 2010 bulk Virginias.

Gawith and Hoggarth are still turning out a first class product and I'm very fond of their Glengary Flake, among others.

You also might look into HU blends, available from Esterval's in Germany. MacBaren also turns out some excellent blends, as does Sutliff in the US. These companies have huge stocks of well aged leaf to work with.

The problem is that the tobacco business is undergoing a significant change as more and more sources dry up, growers turn to other crops, and blenders substitute components in their releases.

For the most part I'm not a big fan of what's currently being produced in the US, the exception being some of the Sutliff product, since they can work with stocks that date from before things started to go to hell. There just isn't the depth and complexity I've come to like. So I've stopped buying and will content myself with what I have.
You seem to know a lot about what’s going on with substitutions and whatnot forgive me if I hijack this thread a moment , with the change in Solani aged burley flake , do you know if it still has white Malawi in it , the tin used to say flavored with a bit of chocolate now says licorice?

damacene

Lurker
Jul 31, 2022

Thank you for you help and knowledge. I've never heard of HU blends; where would be a good place to start and how's their shipping to the US? I tend to favor Balkans or Englishes with a good oriental presence. I've been mainly smoking Mcconnell blends lately. I don't know if they're still using good quality tobaccos, but I've really enjoyed their match for Durbar, Original Oriental, and Scottish Mixture.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You seem to know a lot about what’s going on with substitutions and whatnot forgive me if I hijack this thread a moment , with the change in Solani aged burley flake , do you know if it still has white Malawi in it , the tin used to say flavored with a bit of chocolate now says licorice?
A lot of people complaining about the changes in Silver Flake. Likely you won't recognize ABF.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
McClelland was pretty overrated. I did like some of their Orientals but I've never wanted to pay $350 for another 200 gram tin of it.
Well..... honestly, maybe not overrated. Underappreciated while they were in business, which is sadly so often the case, but not overrated. They manufactured remarkable pipe tobacco.

damacene

Lurker
Jul 31, 2022
Well..... honestly, maybe not overrated. Underappreciated while they were in business, which is sadly so often the case, but not overrated. They manufactured remarkable pipe tobacco.
That's fair, I have a little jar of smyrna no 1 a late friend gave me and only take it out on very rare occasions. If someone had a tin for sale I might buy it if it wasn't too insanely priced.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Ask @JimInks . If anyone knows, he would.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thank you for you help and knowledge. I've never heard of HU blends; where would be a good place to start and how's their shipping to the US? I tend to favor Balkans or Englishes with a good oriental presence. I've been mainly smoking Mcconnell blends lately. I don't know if they're still using good quality tobaccos, but I've really enjoyed their match for Durbar, Original Oriental, and Scottish Mixture.
If you're interested in HU, check out Esterval's and look at the descriptions. I'm much more familiar with the VaPer and Virginia HU offerings. You can also go to tobaccoreviews.com to see what others have to say about the blends. K&K manufactures the HU line, as well as McConnell, Rattray's, and a number of others. Until a few years ago they were a very high end blender, but as has been happening with increasing frequency, substitutions are being made.

This was also the year that I opened a freshly purchased bag of Esoterica Dunbar and found it unrecognizable. Even if I were still buying tobacco, I wouldn't buy another bag of this. I hope that it's a fluke, but I'm not going to pay to find out.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That’s ridiculous . Once stuff starts going for $200-600 a bag , NO INTELLIGENT person would sell it for 50. If you know them, good on you , but fantasy runs deep in your comments
Not really. When there's a drop I know a number of places where I can buy it for around $40 to $45 a bag. I have about 35 lbs of various Esoterica blends cellared and spent from between $32 and $42 per bag, with no issues. In total, I've probably bought a good 50 lbs of various Esoterica blends in the past 7 - 8 years, some for friends, some to give as gifts, some to smoke, and never once went above that price point. Not every business is STUPID enough to abuse their customers. They take care of their customers and their customers take care of them.

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
I am bored at work , I should call 100-200 places and ask them to buy Penzance, Stonehaven, or Peacehaven for $45 a bag ….lots of laughs will ensue …. I will most likely get zero. That is the type of research I do for work. I could do it , but I know the best use of my time .

I’ve bought 99% of my tobacco from online retailers , I don’t have a single Connection in the b&m space . For the vast majority who don’t have long term relationships no one will get what you got. I question even if you could repeat it . I doubt it

Reactions: kola and jpberg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
fantasy runs deep in your comments
Laziness runs in yours. I've never paid more than $40 for an 8 ounce bag. If you'd take the time to pick up a phone and make friends with B&Ms you'd know that. No intelligent person would pay $200-$600 per bag if they knew it was more available than the internet feigns. See, sometimes I read ignored comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.