PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

damacene

Lurker
Jul 31, 2022
I've never had the pleasure of trying any of these but I found out a family member will be traveling across the pond and asked if I'd like anything from merry old England. Are Esoterica blends readily available or are they still a rare find even in their home country?

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I've never had the pleasure of trying any of these but I found out a family member will be traveling across the pond and asked if I'd like anything from merry old England. Are Esoterica blends readily available or are they still a rare find even in their home country?
Don't know about the Esoterica, But seems Samuel Gawith and Gawith Hoggarth & Co are easier to get over there so might be a something to shoot for if you are interested in quality leaf with a lil sauce

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Are you in the USA? If so and you're interested in trying Peacehaven, send me a PM with your address.

damacene

Lurker
Jul 31, 2022
Germain makes Esoterica exclusively for US company Arango to sell in the US. They are not readily available in the UK. Germain does sell its own branded product in the UK but apparently the current supply is scare there as well.
Interesting, I had no idea. Thanks for the info

damacene

Lurker
Jul 31, 2022
The internet blew mediocre blends into godhood. They'll often sit collecting dust at B&Ms and can be had there at retail. Give some of the places on this list a shout and see if you can find some.

A buddy of mine said that quiet nights is better than Penzance. The amount of hype esoterica has is a bit offputting but I'm still curious haha

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
No Esoterica, but you might find some Germain's if you look around. Search for cigar/pipe shops near where you will be. Also look at some of the online retailers who could deliver to you, though they don't have much either. You might find some Full Latakia or Plum Cake though.

But, as suggested, Germain's are not going to send you to ecstasy. They are pretty good, but not out of this world. You'd be better taking the chance to pick up some Gawith stuff in my opinion.

damacene

Lurker
Jul 31, 2022
I’m glad i never had a taste for it, I’ve tried most of them and they didn’t do anything for me, then again neither did the McClelland blends, guess I’m lucky. I’ve given away / bombed people with more of those two tobaccos than I’ve smoked.
McClelland was pretty overrated. I did like some of their Orientals but I've never wanted to pay $350 for another 200 gram tin of it.

damacene

Lurker
Jul 31, 2022
No Esoterica, but you might find some Germain's if you look around. Search for cigar/pipe shops near where you will be. Also look at some of the online retailers who could deliver to you, though they don't have much either. You might find some Full Latakia or Plum Cake though.

But, as suggested, Germain's are not going to send you to ecstasy. They are pretty good, but not out of this world. You'd be better taking the chance to pick up some Gawith stuff in my opinion.
Do you have any Gawith/G&H recommendations? I've had Ennerdale and Best Brown no.2. Haven't really tried any of their Balkan or English blends.

maker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2018
I understand Germains are more readily available in Europe but this may be hearsay plus London tabac taxes are crazy

Reactions: damacene

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
McClelland was pretty overrated. I did like some of their Orientals but I've never wanted to pay $350 for another 200 gram tin of it.
I and many loved McClelland but the universal praise didn't start until they closed. Like Esoterica there are equally good and better blends still available.

Reactions: alan73 and damacene

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
Do you have any Gawith/G&H recommendations? I've had Ennerdale and Best Brown no.2. Haven't really tried any of their Balkan or English blends.

Any to be honest. SG's Squadron leader is a really good English if you like that sort of thing. For the G&H I'd suggest taking pot luck on any of the flakes.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I don't smoke latakia, so I can't speak to those blends. I do enjoy Germaine's Virginia blends. Tilbury is a staple for me. Peacehaven/Brighton/Cardiff are all very pleasant sweet/citrusy virginias.
If you like VaPer, Dunbar and Dorchester are good though each unique. I prefer Dunbar, as Dorchester seems to have a pervasive topping that puts me off.

Many of the oddball aromatics have a licorice/anise component that isn't altogether awful, but would take years for me to smoke a bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.