PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

captainpeg

Lurker
Mar 27, 2013
Greetings all

While watching new auctions go up on Ebay earlier today ( I always pay especially close attention to the offerings of a few folks, in particular Pipestud) I saw a tin of Escudo (A&C) posted by Pipestud, and on reading the description he noted that Stokkebye has decided to discontinue it's production. I will send off a email to Steve and see what's up, but in the meantime I thought I'd ask here if anyone has heard the same. Maybe I missed it, but....

Randy

javajunkie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2013
Might the rights have transferred with Erik Stokkebye leaving Villager-(former)Stokkebye? Fairly certain it is still a viable and continuing product, but talk like that is bound to scare some people.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Not funny Peck!! If that's the case I better order a boatload coming up soon. Otherwise I have your address and I'll be coming to find that cellar!!!

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Howdy Gang,
Didn't mean for one of my eBay auctions to start a fire storm here (although rumors and fire storms can be fun).
Why great blends like Escudo, Three Nuns, Capstan and (if my information is correct a few other blends that we all know and like will also be discontinued) are difficult to produce, I do not know. All three of the above mentioned blends have had multiple blenders for various reasons.
I personally believe that blenders are taking stock of their future and paring down by eliminating blends that are troublesome. Some require exceptional and/or hard to find tobaccos, others require labor intensive processing, others are a combination of the above and the profit margin per tin is so slight that its just not worth producing anymore.
I specifically recall something Mike McNiel of McClelland's said during a talk at the Kansas City Pipe Show in 2005 that still sticks in my mind. Back in the 1970's Edgeworth Sliced sold to the tune of 7-1/2 million pounds yearly. And in 2005, 7-1/2 million pounds equalled the amount of pipe tobacco being sold worldwide by all blenders!
So, is Escudo joining Three Nuns, Capstan, the original Dunhill blends, etc? Well, that's the private word on the street. If true, will Escudo or The Nuns or Capstan be picked up by someone else?
What I personally would like to see is one of the large blending houses taking a gamble and picking up Escudo, Three Nuns and Capstan recipes and working some magic for us. Wishful thinking? Probably. But in this day an age with all that has transpired just in the last few years, who knows?
Best,

Pipestud

magoo65

Lurker
Apr 10, 2013
Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls about the become more popular?
I was thinking that too.
A reviewer on TobaccoReviews said that according to his research, both tobaccos are manufactured in the same factory and even said in the same room. The main difference being in the price of the two.
The last tin of DLNR I opened was significantly dryer than the last Escudo that I opened. That's about the only difference I've noticed between them... And the price.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Not taking any chances...... Just placed an order to beef up my Escudo cellaring. Can't have too much Escudo as far as I'm concerned!

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I haven't even gotten to try it yet! COME ON!
If you can order it now, do it! Even if this isn't true, this thread's existence is probably enough to drain the supply.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Seriously,
This forum and rumors of tobacco shortages is like a 1930's bank and talk of money shortages...
A bank run IS going to happen.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
The problem is it's cheaper for me to go to my B&M to pick up a small order by a LOT than it is to order online and pay for shipping. I can't afford to place a $100 order right now (Ok, financially I can, but marriage-wise... Forget it). My B&M says that they're getting it in. Maybe I'll call over on Monday and see if they have it...

Status
Not open for further replies.