PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Brachra

Lurker
Sep 15, 2021
New Mexico USA
Are there any downsides to filling a 16oz jar about halfway? Or should I aim for as full as possible? I have lots of 16oz i want to use up but dont wish to put such large quantities in each one. Im aware I can get smaller jars but thats not my question. I was thinking about 4oz per jar instead of the usual 6 or more I pack in there.

Brachra

Lurker
Sep 15, 2021
New Mexico USA
If you're referring to the 16 oz. wide mouth jars, I jam 16 ounces into them with an industrial caulk gun to save space. No reason why you can't only partially fill them.

View attachment 101620
I was worried more about too much air maybe causing excess dryness. Or maybe tightly packing reduces mold chance...or any other number of things I can pull out of my ass and worry about. :( thank you

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I was worried more about too much air maybe causing excess dryness. Or maybe tightly packing reduces mold chance...or any other number of things I can pull out of my ass and worry about. :( thank you
Very welcome. As long as the jar is sealed, dryness shouldn't be an issue. It will lose some moisture as the jar's environment attempts to balance itself but it won't be detrimental to the tobacco.

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
I think I saw that someone here dips the tops of their cellar jars in wax to get that extra seal. I think I like that idea.

I would suspect that once the jar is hand tight, supposing you have a clean seal, the air or no air will not make a difference. The atmosphere inside is what it is.

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
How can the air dry it? The tin is sealed, where would the moisture go? I see no issues filling the jars half way. Should get plenty of aerobic aging.
I'm thinking that if the "relative humidity" of air trapped in the jar is relatively low, then moisture from the tobacco can evaporate into that air, creating a higher relative humidity within the jar. In a small jar with almost no air space, it would be a non issue, but as one imagines larger and larger jars with the same amount of tobacco at the bottom, it becomes easier (for me) to imagine the tobacco drying out inside - sealed or not. As a thought experiment, imagine very wet tobacco in a sealed room. The room is air-tight, but certainly the two ounces of tobacco sitting in it will dry out.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Bobby Bailey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 8, 2021
Upper Southwest Arkansas, USA
I'm thinking that if the "relative humidity" of air trapped in the jar is relatively low, then moisture from the tobacco can evaporate into that air, creating a higher relative humidity within the jar. In a small jar with almost no air space, it would be a non issue, but as one imagines larger and larger jars with the same amount of tobacco at the bottom, it becomes easier (for me) to imagine the tobacco drying out inside - sealed or not. As a thought experiment, imagine very wet tobacco in a sealed room. The room is air-tight, but certainly the two ounces of tobacco sitting in it will dry out.
Man, you've got some big jars. LOL

Inspired Idler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2019
Denver, CO
How can the air dry it? The tin is sealed, where would the moisture go? I see no issues filling the jars half way. Should get plenty of aerobic aging.
My curiosity lies with the aerobic aging aspect. I thought I've read somewhere that once all of the oxygen is used up by the bacteria, a different aging process begins in the oxygen depleted environment (the name escapes me). Assuming I'm not speaking out of my arse, could there be pronounced differences between jars that are tightly packed versus loose packed jars?

originalnutcracker

Can't Leave
Feb 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Greg Pease wrote about the two stages of ageing as above, and I would never disagree with him! As I recall, he advocated for a small amount of air in the bottle. I’m too much of a miser.....

I’ve had tobacco in jars for years - some full and some not - as long as the seal is good I’ve never had an issue. Recently switched a whole lot to Mylar- we’ll see if it’s the same.

Reactions: Inspired Idler

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I have a humidor that I use for my standard blend and I've found that if it is full, tobacco will stay fresh for weeks. As the amount of tobacco in it decreases, the mixture becomes dry much faster. I think that too much air space allows moisture (both water and volatile flavor elements) to evaporate.

As for anaerobic vs aerobic effects, even tightly packed tobacco will have considerable oxygen trapped as long as it is not a solid mass. Depending on what exactly you're jarring my opinion is that you're better off with a full jar. Of course, my opinion is worth exactly what you're paying for it.

The largest jars I use are 16 ounce. In hindsight I wished I would have stuck with just 4 and 8 ounce jars. Once opened, the anaerobic aging stops and I just don't smoke enough to open a whole 16 ounces at a time. I do vacuum seal my lids though which mitigates some of the oxygen.

Besides, I like variety, so there's that too... puffy

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Some would say empty space is beneficial.

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
Not satisfied for the evening with the Dempsey, so rather than 5 Bros again to get that fixed, I reached for an OJK White. I know it’s not the best reviewed tobacco in the OJK line, but it’s pretty darn good. Only tin I’ve ever bough of it - 2017 can (lucky B&M find). Found a somewhat magical retailer…and they have dust on the tops of some tins, and they don’t quite stack the same cause they have a bit of an expansion to them. Same price for all - so, I’ve learned to check the rotation abilities of retail stores that aren’t huge and don’t see a ton of foot traffic other than people on a quest for Penzance ?. I need to go back there - I’m over budget, but hell with it. Picking up aged tins for slightly higher than online retail? Yup. All day. Where is this place? Missouri. ?