PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JSPiper71

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
Hi Gents, I was at an antique shop today and was perusing their tobacco tins and came across an unopened tin of Edgeworth Ready Rubbed. It goes back to when Larus Bros were making it and from what I can tell on the Internet they folded in the early 70’s. Any of you old timers smoked this years ago? It’s now sold by Lane and still available. Begs to question whether it would still be good as it’s still sealed. I got it for 12$ CAD! Happy to leave it as is, but tempting to open it up.

Attachments

• 94712467-57B2-4FED-A184-1FD7FF7B0AC8.jpeg
    94712467-57B2-4FED-A184-1FD7FF7B0AC8.jpeg
    192.7 KB · Views: 33
  • C2021713-8D9A-49EB-BD1B-6ECE1554A3E4.jpeg
    C2021713-8D9A-49EB-BD1B-6ECE1554A3E4.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 00A928BA-418B-4950-AC03-286D9BD68DDD.jpeg
    00A928BA-418B-4950-AC03-286D9BD68DDD.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 32

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
That's a 1960s tin, and I would suspect the contents are fine. I would open it, take out what I'm going to smoke in the very short term, and quickly jar the rest. Oxygen is the enemy of vintage tobacco.

You'll find this is different than the current Lane version: much less cocoa, and a pleasant fruit note along with some molasses, you lucky dog.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I understand the desire to smoke it. The archivist in me would have a tough time doing it. A sealed tin from that period is unlikely to surface again any time soon. It's more unique sealed. Once opened, it's just another used tin. And the tobacco may be dried and disappointing. Then again, it might be amazing. It would be a tough call for me. Glad I don't need to make the choice.

JSPiper71

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
I understand the desire to smoke it. The archivist in me would have a tough time doing it. A sealed tin from that period is unlikely to surface again any time soon. It's more unique sealed. Once opened, it's just another used tin. And the tobacco may be dried and disappointing. Then again, it might be amazing. It would be a tough call for me. Glad I don't need to make the choice.

Ahhhh, you had to throw a monkey wrench into my plan didn't you! I hear you. Pretty cool as it is!

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
I would open it and enjoy whatever comes out. You could buy the farm tomorrow and it could be thrown out under the assumption that it has no value.
I save things for later less often as I grow older. The last thing I want is the damn pool boy or the mailman enjoying my liquor and tobacco while I’m pushing up daisies. Enjoy it while you’re still on this side!

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Ok as a newby I am probably going to get slapped around but do you even know what it’s worth? I mean an unopened in original tin could be worth $1000’s to a collector. Once you open packages the value plummets. I mean Lane Co. themselves might offer you a hefty price?

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
My God man you hit the jackpot. The original Edgeworth Ready Rubbed was considered one of the best. Sutliff's Ready Rubbed is truer to the original, but Lane does make a Ready rubbed. I have been hoping to fall into your situation, but haven't yet. Pop that baby open and be prepared for a fine burley treat.
I found this thread searching for threads about Lane Ready Rub. I am new and like Carter Hall but don’t have the wallet to cut $50 in a big tin of LRR. You state that the Match Edgeworth is good?

Reactions: WVOldFart

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Ok as a newby I am probably going to get slapped around but do you even know what it’s worth? I mean an unopened in original tin could be worth $1000’s to a collector. Once you open packages the value plummets. I mean Lane Co. themselves might offer you a hefty price?
Oh, sure, he could probably sell it and make money, although I doubt if Lane would buy it.
Or - he could simply smoke it, and have an experience he will not get with any other tobacco. I know what I would do. puffy
I found this thread searching for threads about Lane Ready Rub. I am new and like Carter Hall but don’t have the wallet to cut $50 in a big tin of LRR. You state that the Match Edgeworth is good?

Lane RR is very different from Carter Hall. It also seems to have been discontinued. Sutliff's Edgeworth Match is quite tasty, although it seems hard to find it in stock. (Must admit I have not looked recently.)

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
You can buy Sutliff Ready Rubbed in bulk at most on-line stores. Grab a 1 oz. sampler and see if you enjoy it. It is one of my regulars.

Reactions: edger

JSPiper71

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
Have yet to open it because I’m purely an outdoor smoker and it’s been so f’ing cold. I don’t want to rush this experience. I’ll keep you posted.

Reactions: judcole