PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
Jackpot! The sutliff match is one of my favorite burleys, and I have some pounds put away. But having never tasted the original, I can’t say that I am not a bit envious of that score!

Reactions: edger and JSPiper71

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm so excited to open it now that I've seen your responses. When I shake the can it sounds really loose and rattley in there, making me fear it's dried out. I'll post some pictures when I open it. Thanks guys!
Loose and rattley? That literally doesn't sound good. Before you open it up in the expectation of vintage wonderment, do a real careful examination of the tin and look for any sign of rust or a pin hole. You may want to leave the 50 year old corpse alone.

Reactions: JSPiper71

JSPiper71

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
Loose and rattley? That literally doesn't sound good. Before you open it up in the expectation of vintage wonderment, do a real careful examination of the tin and look for any sign of rust or a pin hole. You may want to leave the 50 year old corpse alone.
I did that but there’s nothing discernible. As soon as I get some good weather I’m going to pop the lid and will let you all know.

Reactions: JimInks

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
I was lucky enough to be given a tin of the Larus Edgeworth by a good friend, being a very impatient and over curious person I opened it up about ten minutes after I unpacked the box.
Are there signs of rust on the tin? If so open immediately, another friends tin was rusted through and had to be tossed.

I like the Sutliff version and was very excited to try this, when I opened it it was rather dry but other than that in perfect condition, it rattles because it’s a rough cube cut and not a ribbon.

I took a small amount of mine and sprayed it lightly with a 5-1 dilution of rum and water and sealed it over night. My experience with it the next day was one of pure joy and smoking a blend as old as myself was a pleasure.

My one disappointment was that I was too late to take advantage of the offer on the enclosed voucher to get a Falcon Pipe for $4.34.
Oh well, you can’t have it all.

JSPiper71

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
I was lucky enough to be given a tin of the Larus Edgeworth by a good friend, being a very impatient and over curious person I opened it up about ten minutes after I unpacked the box.
Are there signs of rust on the tin? If so open immediately, another friends tin was rusted through and had to be tossed.

I like the Sutliff version and was very excited to try this, when I opened it it was rather dry but other than that in perfect condition, it rattles because it’s a rough cube cut and not a ribbon.

I took a small amount of mine and sprayed it lightly with a 5-1 dilution of rum and water and sealed it over night. My experience with it the next day was one of pure joy and smoking a blend as old as myself was a pleasure.

My one disappointment was that I was too late to take advantage of the offer on the enclosed voucher to get a Falcon Pipe for $4.34.
Oh well, you can’t have it all.
Very funny on the pipe offer! You were just a few decades late on that one. I still have yet to pop it. No rust to speak of. I've got some Bodeva 72 packs ready to go once I do open it. I'm still waiting for the weather to turn. I want to fully enjoy this experience should everything be ok. It was -15 degrees here this a.m. Not exactly long leisurely pipe smoking weather.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
first I'd see what it's worth on the market. Mainly just as insurance. It would suck to open it find out it you could have sold it for an amount that you rather have. Or in other words find out before it's too late. (I know someone who inherited a wine cellar and to celebrate grabbed a random bottle that was worth it turned out over five thousand. Now this will be a few bucks but doesn't hurt to check before hand). And why not smoke it! I certainly would unless I can sell it for a few hundred then I can buy even more smokes.

JSPiper71

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
first I'd see what it's worth on the market. Mainly just as insurance. It would suck to open it find out it you could have sold it for an amount that you rather have. Or in other words find out before it's too late. (I know someone who inherited a wine cellar and to celebrate grabbed a random bottle that was worth it turned out over five thousand. Now this will be a few bucks but doesn't hurt to check before hand). And why not smoke it! I certainly would unless I can sell it for a few hundred then I can buy even more smokes.
It's tempting to go down the road you mention, but after contemplating and advice from others, someone would need to offer me a s-ton of $ for me to forgo this experience! Even if it's a pile of saw dust, I'm going to be the one who opens this tin!

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
I am a Prince Albert smoker and a Lane Limited Ready Rubbed fan. When the Prince was a hard to find during the pandemic I switched to Lane's Ready Rubbed. I bought a half a case and then Prince Albert came back. I ended up cellaring the few tubs I have left. My wife said I should have just bought the whole case. I wish I did now that Lane discontinued the tobacco. I gave Sutliffs another try. I rubbed the chunks out and let it dry out a bit. I really like it now. It's smooth,tasty and smells great when it's burning in the pipe.

Reactions: edger

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
@f4phantomdriver ,
Your forum name caught my attention when I was reading through this thread. Where did you fly Phantoms? The air National Guard in Boise Idaho used to fly
F4 Weasels.

JSPiper71

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
Update to this thread, I still haven't popped this open. So much other stuff in my rotation, I thought I'd wait for a special occasion. However.....I was in my local B&M store a few weeks ago and noticed an old tobacco cutter and a unopened can of Ready Rub on the counter! This one is super old, @JimInks or other old timers, do you have any idea how old this may be? Anyway, Jerry the owner said a lady in the neighbourhood was cleaning out her basement and just dropped them off for him. (Nice old lady, leading me to wonder what the hell I'm missing out on in that basement!) Anyway, Jerry is going to invite all his pipe smokers to an event where he will pop this can open and let everyone smoke a bowl with a whiskey. I'll be posting to my Canadian friends living in the Toronto area the time and date. Can't wait to give this a try!

Jerry Ready Rub 2.jpg

Attachments

• Jerry Ready Rub.jpg
    Jerry Ready Rub.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Jerry Tobacco Cutter.jpg
    Jerry Tobacco Cutter.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 11