PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tidalwave

Lurker
Jul 9, 2019
Since STG had already been doing the blending on the Dunhill, I'm *hoping* that the recipes aren't changing.
We'll know soon enough.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I only really liked Elizabethan and I've got enough of that one left to last until I'm reduced to fine white ash.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
That sure sounds like longchamp, are you sure?
Longchamp is a small, family owned French company. dunhill (lower case dee)is a brand owned by "Richemont Group", a large, also family owned, Swiss conglomerate. I doubt Longchamp is even a blip on Richemont's radar. Piaget, Mont Blanc, Purdy, Cartier and many other brands are under the Richemont umbrella of ownership. I believe Richemont is, by far, the largest of the luxury brand holding companies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
This sounds epic. I never really tried dunhill tobacco's, simply because I only like Burley. But if I had to guess, this would be a great company to take over.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Wow! Glad to hear they are coming back. I got into pipe smoking just after they stopped, so I have only tried a few dunhill blends. Excited to try some others, hopefully at a reasonable cost.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
I'm glad they're, mostly, back. Navy Rolls was a favorite and I enjoyed Early Morning, Nightcap and Flake.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
No Ye Olde Signe :crying: but good news!
jay-roger.jpg

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Without the word “Dunhill” on the label it’ll never taste the same. The 2018 Dunhills, now those were tobacco. Same manufacturer with the same recipes and same leaf sources couldn’t possibly be the same. The slightly different tin art ruins the blend. Get out of my yard, mehhhhh!
Happy to hear the fans of the blends can continue to get them.

mindglue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2016
[/quote]With the newly modified legislation are these going to be categorized as new blends and be victim to the May 11th deadline?

It's a great question...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
They'd be shortsighted to make them out to be anything other than a re-labeling of the very same blend they've been producing for Dunhill. Both for customer acceptance and to avoid FDA "testing" and the large fees for that.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Royal Yacht lives!
It lives! Yessssss, my precious, it lives again, it does.
We likes Peterson, my precious, we LIKES it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
They'd be shortsighted to make them out to be anything other than a re-labeling of the very same blend they've been producing for Dunhill. Both for customer acceptance and to avoid FDA "testing" and the large fees for that.
Label changes for Christmas Cheer made them susceptible for FDA scrutiny. Would this not be the same?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Do we really know the extent of the FDA's intent and the McClellands' posture when contacted- indeed, were they contacted or was it just a concern?
Anyway, we'll find out in a few years I guess!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
With the newly modified legislation are these going to be categorized as new blends and be victim to the May 11th deadline?
Short answer, yes. Longer answer, since the Dunhill branded blends left the US market around July of 2008 and were gone for a considerable time while Orlik and STC arranged for a new US distributor, they were never eligible to be grandfathered in. Nothing has actually changed in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.