PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
I first smoked a pipe in 1966. Then after a long furlough took it up again. One of my pipes is a Peterson's sitter à tankard shape.
This pipe just won't smoke nice. It gets very hot!
It's not cadence , as I'm a sloooow puffer, it's not baccy as I've tried many varied types.

I think it's just a dud. Any thoughts?
Is the Tankard a thin-walled pipe design?

Reactions: canucklehead

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Just as much as it may bother people that others complain about this company, it bothers me equally when those of us have had bad Petes are called liars, or accused of not knowing anything. And, as I posted I do know of one retailer and good friend of mine, of whom I have never met anyone who knows more about pipes, pipemaking, or pipe quality than Skip Elliot, who has invited me to meet many world renowned pipemakers, and has traveled the world meeting the best and more creative of pipemakers. He was born into a pipeshop and has owned one himself, one of the top end galleries of pipes in the world, since 1972. And, he can better explain his ire at the Peterson pipes, as I posted before.

But, I'll lay off my criticism of a sponsor, if everyone else will stop calling every criticism of the pipes a liar or bad smoker.
Not a liar. Like they shared their experience with a brand, I shared my experience with the same brand.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

Sgetz

Lifer
May 21, 2020
UK
Peterson is not a sponsor. Sponsors sell these things, which I think is a mistake, but I don't think people bad mouthing a brand will hurt the brand, because I have heard people bad mouth them since the day I was looking for my first pipe. I remember Skip at the Briary showing me a box of Petersons, grabbing the box in frustration and shaking them angrily like a box of broken legos and telling me that no matter how much he begs customers to buy a better quality pipe, that Pete fans will just smile, and pat him on the head like a confused old man, and say, "here, here old man, just sell me the pipe you hate so much." Peterson fans will just keep buying them despite what anyone says. And, I respect that level of devotion. I think it's a little odd, but people might also question my tastes in music or shoes... so...

As to whether it is something about the pipe that makes it smoke hot... IDK. What is it about the pipe that you think might make it smoke hotter than another pipe? Is this the only one in your collection that does this?
I happy to say that it is the only one.

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
Or clean it and give it to Goodwill. I've done that with pipes I don't like anymore; either a less affluent pipe smoker would like to have it, or maybe someone can use it as a prop in a play, or you pass the problem off to some cheap sucker looking for a deal, either way, it won't go to total waste.
I never imagined Goodwill would take pipes. On the one hand I think that’s pretty darn cool idea. On the other, I feel buying a pipe from Goodwill would be like buying a dildo from Goodwill.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
well it's fortunate then that if you really have to dis the pinto you can find plenty of site where that's alright to do.
It's not about "dissing", it's about showing both sides of the coin. I don't like whitewashed news, whitewashed reporting, whitewashed reviews, and I'd prefer not to have a whitewashed forum. It's about information. Accurate information.can only be had by hearing both sides of a debate. Sure, folks who have been smoking pipes for 5, 10, 40 years probably don't need the information. They are, usually, well educated on all things "pipe". I DO feel our newer smokers can benefit from hearing the positives AND the negatives concerning ANY product.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I never imagined Goodwill would take pipes. On the one hand I think that’s pretty darn cool idea. On the other, I feel buying a pipe from Goodwill would be like buying a dildo from Goodwill.
They don't handle pipes in the 4-5 Goodwills I have been in the last five years. Doubt they carry dildos either.

But some thrift and resale shops do. And if you don't clean a used pipe before your first smoke....

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
If the problem is so wide spread with Peterson, I should have ran into one. Either that or person who is smoking the pipe might need to approach the problem from a different angle like if there is any specific defect they see or if their technique needs to be adjusted.
You also buy higher line pipes. Most of the complaints are the lowest rung pipes.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I'm glad any number of people found employment in Peterson, but I could never forgive them for dipping. Never bought one.

Reactions: tschiraldi
Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
personally I never liked the way Grawbows looked. They always looked to me cheap and plastic to me. Which says nothing about how good they can smoke or how much anyone else likes them. I guess to Brobs Savinalis look that way. The reason I am commenting on it is cause I can kind of see it in the savs. Again nothing wrong with that just like nothing wrong with most of the artisan pipes people like that feel like crimes against the concept of a pipe. Though I think the Duke might be the line of Grabows I find to be the exception.
I am pretty hard on my pipes so the dont stay shiny long. They are clean but not very shiny and get scratches and dents

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It's not about "dissing", it's about showing both sides of the coin. I don't like whitewashed news, whitewashed reporting, whitewashed reviews, and I'd prefer not to have a whitewashed forum. It's about information. Accurate information.can only be had by hearing both sides of a debate. Sure, folks who have been smoking pipes for 5, 10, 40 years probably don't need the information. They are, usually, well educated on all things "pipe". I DO feel our newer smokers can benefit from hearing the positives AND the negatives concerning ANY product.
You know that's just something I can't understand. I get the general thrust the general spirit and totally agree with it. What I don't get is how a minimum of tact or sense of decorum or politeness could be considered so crippling. In my opinion if you can't get across the negatives enough to educate a person the problem isn't a pretty mild forum rule that says how you can present those negatives. And honestly to me it seems like a pretty big misunderstanding of how people react to negatives and positives. As in people react way more to negatives. For example if I say I smoked a really good blend or if I say I found a dead mouse in a blend which one of those is going to be easier to keep in mind when you make your next order. Or in other words if anything not being able to dogpile the complaints is going to balance out the perception of the positives and negatives more accurately. And with the forum rules if you can't express your negatives within those rules then maybe consider it a good way to get some practice at maintaining eloquence across various social situations. And I just find the argument that such relatively minor rules enforcing a minimum of etiquette will kill people's ability to have a frank conversation about products to be a massive inflation. It's reminds me of people complaining about not being able to say certain words at work and then not being able to express themselves. I'll put it this way it's like comparing dealing with a traffic cop to be sent to federal prison, it's an over reaction. And if you can't find an forum (to also belong to) where you can say whatever you want however you want that isn't this forums fault. Or a long wind way of saying I really don't see what your saying as being all that accurate. Especially since I can still say I really don't like Captain Black ;)

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
You know that's just something I can't understand. I get the general thrust the general spirit and totally agree with it. What I don't get is how a minimum of tact or sense of decorum or politeness could be considered so crippling. In my opinion if you can't get across the negatives enough to educate a person the problem isn't a pretty mild forum rule that says how you can present those negatives. And honestly to me it seems like a pretty big misunderstanding of how people react to negatives and positives. As in people react way more to negatives. For example if I say I smoked a really good blend or if I say I found a dead mouse in a blend which one of those is going to be easier to keep in mind when you make your next order. Or in other words if anything not being able to dogpile the complaints is going to balance out the perception of the positives and negatives more accurately. And with the forum rules if you can't express your negatives within those rules then maybe consider it a good way to get some practice at maintaining eloquence across various social situations. And I just find the argument that such relatively minor rules enforcing a minimum of etiquette will kill people's ability to have a frank conversation about products to be a massive inflation. It's reminds me of people complaining about not being able to say certain words at work and then not being able to express themselves. I'll put it this way it's like comparing dealing with a traffic cop to be sent to federal prison, it's an over reaction. And if you can't find an forum (to also belong to) where you can say whatever you want however you want that isn't this forums fault. Or a long wind way of saying I really don't see what your saying as being all that accurate. Especially since I can still say I really don't like Captain Black ;)
Oh, I think I'm eloquent enough to converse in any social situation. I agree with you in that you don't understand what I'm saying. I didn't complain about the rule. I responded in defense of a moderator's response to another forum member's response, which I believe was misinterpreted from the beginning. If I were to complain about the rule, it would be to point out the chasm wide difference between the OP description of the rule versus the follow up explanation about what the rule really is by the moderators, but I won't even do that, as others have already addressed that fact. Its obvious I can play by the rules, as I haven't been banned and have never received a warning message from a moderator. My point was simply that ALL views, positive and negative, have value to certain readers and if done appropriately should continue to be expressed. Unfortunately, as you stated yourself, the negative gets more attention than the positive, and whenever someone has anything negative to say about a product, those who like the product often get their feelings hurt and express their shock and displeasure at anyone who would dare disagree with them.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Oh, I think I'm eloquent enough to converse in any social situation. I agree with you in that you don't understand what I'm saying. I didn't complain about the rule. I responded in defense of a moderator's response to another forum member's response, which I believe was misinterpreted from the beginning.
That's quite different. That happens sometimes with these post also happens when I break my rule of 2 cups of coffee before forum.

• Haha
Reactions: tschiraldi