PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Thank you. My thoughts were not aimed at you. Mostly threads that start off dissing something or other. Whether pipes, tobacco, food, bikes, cars, cereal, coffee, etc. It's just unnecessary and stirs the wrong pot.
While I see your point, I don't completely agree. When a brand is consistently prone to certain issues over a long period of time, I think we do a disservice to those not familiar with that brand, or product, or the issues common to it. If everybody was forced, by rule, to only extol the virtues of what a reliable, low cost, beautiful car the Pinto was, and being disallowed to expose the fact that they blew up when rear ended, how many more people would only discover the fact after it turned to ash???

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
While I don't think in my post that "I" was dissing the brand, just saying what a seller told me, and then asked what it was about the particular pipe... I also see that not liking a brand or make of something is totally natural, at least in the world I grew up in, where... Fords all suck, Lee Jeans are horrid, Buddy shoes are for poor people, Coke products, anything made at McDonalds, Kraft cheese, Folgers, and most generic brands all make inferior products. We are a material people, and to have brands and makes that we like and dislike is perfectly natural. Of course this is trickier when a brand helps keep the lights on in out favorite club house, but despite what people have said about one brand or another, I don't think this has much influence on what others buy. Heck, Ford somehow keeps selling cars, right?
Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford

My bad ass F150 (I also have a 250 and 350) !!!

Don't you dare disrespect the #1 selling truck of ALLLLLL time, son! ?

IMG_0042.JPG

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
What year did you retire?
Semi-retired. Long story, but my son does most of the hay these days, I only help with cutting and raking. He's a fulltime fireman, but we both keep the hay thing going for splurging money mostly. I basically retired when my wife and I made some good investments in (believe it or not) Ford stock when it crashed back in the Great Recession.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
While I see your point, I don't completely agree. When a brand is consistently prone to certain issues over a long period of time, I think we do a disservice to those not familiar with that brand, or product, or the issues common to it. If everybody was forced, by rule, to only extol the virtues of what a reliable, low cost, beautiful car the Pinto was, and being disallowed to expose the fact that they blew up when rear ended, how many more people would only discover the fact after it turned to ash???
well it's fortunate then that if you really have to dis the pinto you can find plenty of site where that's alright to do.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Whats wrong with blister card? My best pipe is a Dr. Grabow Golden Duke
personally I never liked the way Grawbows looked. They always looked to me cheap and plastic to me. Which says nothing about how good they can smoke or how much anyone else likes them. I guess to Brobs Savinalis look that way. The reason I am commenting on it is cause I can kind of see it in the savs. Again nothing wrong with that just like nothing wrong with most of the artisan pipes people like that feel like crimes against the concept of a pipe. Though I think the Duke might be the line of Grabows I find to be the exception.

Reactions: BROBS and edger

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
sorry to do this but has anyone asked if the pipe has that black coating. I suspect that's why my Pete smoked hot at first. Once the cake got on there no problem. And of all my pipes it's got this weird uniform cake that looks lightly reamed again I suspect it's that coating.

Reactions: BROBS

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I must be very special. Now I have over 30 Peterson pipes. None of them have smoking issue. They all have wide open bores and smoke fine. I'm not saying they don't have any issues. They do have some cosmetic issues such as fill, stem not straight, and others. But I have not had a single smoking issue. Smoking hot, that can happen. Had one specific pipe that was smoking hot. Took 2 years to fix itself. But unless I'm smoking Va, there wasn't much issue. English smoked on cool side.

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I must be very special. Now I have over 30 Peterson pipes. None of them have smoking issue. They all have wide open bores and smoke fine. I'm not saying they don't have any issues. They do have some cosmetic issues such as fill, stem not straight, and others. But I have not had a single smoking issue. Smoking hot, that can happen. Had one specific pipe that was smoking hot. Took 2 years to fix itself. But unless I'm smoking Va, there wasn't much issue. English smoked on cool side.
There's an old saying in the RV-ing culture, if you own an RV and have never had any problems, you should probably go out and buy a lottery ticket because you are luckiest son of a bitch in world.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I honestly suspect there is an amount of confirmation bias going on. With how much people talk about pete issues when there is one people say I should have known but when it's another brand it's just a weird fluke. To really confirm if I am right at all I'd have to look at sales numbers.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
There's an old saying in the RV-ing culture, if you own an RV and have never had any problems, you should probably go out and buy a lottery ticket because you are luckiest son of a bitch in world.
If the problem is so wide spread with Peterson, I should have ran into one. Either that or person who is smoking the pipe might need to approach the problem from a different angle like if there is any specific defect they see or if their technique needs to be adjusted.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
As far as criticism goes...if you have track record of buying a brand of pipe and you’ve been consistently unimpressed with the quality/service of the brand...I greatly appreciate your opinion. If it’s a one off type of situation then I don’t give it much credence.

I came to this site for knowledge & comradeship. Obviously, I understand the implications of openly criticizing a brand that helps support the site & is also owned by Laudisi. I also understand that Laudisi has been instituting quality controls working towards improving pipes out the door at Peterson’s.

If I was the folks at Laudisi, I’d use the comments here to improve things rather than take issue with complaints. There should be no problem with sharing your opinion on any experience provided it’s informative and not meant to malign. In Peterson’s I’ve had some great smokers & some not so much. But, let’s face it...when you mass produce hundreds of thousands of pipes you’re bound to get some that just don’t crack muster. But, sometimes a singular pipe is just a dud. ?‍♂️☕

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
If the problem is so wide spread with Peterson, I should have ran into one. Either that or person who is smoking the pipe might need to approach the problem from a different angle like if there is any specific defect they see or if their technique needs to be adjusted.
I have no idea, I only got into this thread because I've heard this a lot on this forum (about this maker) and have owned a lot of Savinelli's and have never had and/or heard issues like this about Sav's, at least to this extent...it seems to be pretty common among this particular maker.

Reactions: bullet08
Just as much as it may bother people that others complain about this company, it bothers me equally when those of us have had bad Petes are called liars, or accused of not knowing anything. And, as I posted I do know of one retailer and good friend of mine, of whom I have never met anyone who knows more about pipes, pipemaking, or pipe quality than Skip Elliot, who has invited me to meet many world renowned pipemakers, and has traveled the world meeting the best and more creative of pipemakers. He was born into a pipeshop and has owned one himself, one of the top end galleries of pipes in the world, since 1972. And, he can better explain his ire at the Peterson pipes, as I posted before.

But, I'll lay off my criticism of a sponsor, if everyone else will stop calling every criticism of the pipes a liar or bad smoker.