PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sgetz

Lifer
May 21, 2020
UK
I first smoked a pipe in 1966. Then after a long furlough took it up again. One of my pipes is a Peterson's sitter à tankard shape.
This pipe just won't smoke nice. It gets very hot!
It's not cadence , as I'm a sloooow puffer, it's not baccy as I've tried many varied types.

I think it's just a dud. Any thoughts?

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Seems to be the same brand I hear over and over, but nope, nope, I won't do it, I won't criticize a sponsor, nope, won't do it and you can't make me...but I never have these problems with my Savinelli's ;)
Before P was taken over I've heard much worser reports. Especially when it came to service and warranty problems. During that time the German distributor did'nt sell Ps. Now they are again on the list of Kopp & Kohlhase.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I first smoked a pipe in 1966. Then after a long furlough took it up again. One of my pipes is a Peterson's sitter à tankard shape.
This pipe just won't smoke nice. It gets very hot!
It's not cadence , as I'm a sloooow puffer, it's not baccy as I've tried many varied types.

I think it's just a dud. Any thoughts?
Those pipes are hard to get to smoke cool. They are either great or horrible.

but nope, nope, I won't do it, I won't criticize a sponsor, nope, won't do it and you can't make me
Peterson is not a sponsor. Sponsors sell these things, which I think is a mistake, but I don't think people bad mouthing a brand will hurt the brand, because I have heard people bad mouth them since the day I was looking for my first pipe. I remember Skip at the Briary showing me a box of Petersons, grabbing the box in frustration and shaking them angrily like a box of broken legos and telling me that no matter how much he begs customers to buy a better quality pipe, that Pete fans will just smile, and pat him on the head like a confused old man, and say, "here, here old man, just sell me the pipe you hate so much." Peterson fans will just keep buying them despite what anyone says. And, I respect that level of devotion. I think it's a little odd, but people might also question my tastes in music or shoes... so...

As to whether it is something about the pipe that makes it smoke hot... IDK. What is it about the pipe that you think might make it smoke hotter than another pipe? Is this the only one in your collection that does this?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
These are always interesting. I’ve had dud pipes and great pipes.

It’s just the way it is. These are organic devices and stuff happens.

If it matters, and I’m sure it doesn’t, I’ve never had a Savinelli that smoked great. They’ve all been dogs.

You know what smokes great every single time. Nothing.

Except 100 year old Brit Wood.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
These are always interesting. I’ve had dud pipes and great pipes.

It’s just the way it is. These are organic devices and stuff happens.

If it matters, and I’m sure it doesn’t, I’ve never had a Savinelli that smoked great. They’ve all been dogs.

You know what smokes great every single time. Nothing.

Except 100 year old Brit Wood.
Savinelli looks like a pipe that would come on a blister card in an Italian grocery store.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have about ten Petes bought over about ten years, mostly low-medium price range, no systems, and all but one are fishtail. I've never cottoned to tankards; I buy Petes for the blocky stocky design, except of course for my Belgique Rustique, which is a group 1. I've been lucky; they all smoke well...or better.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Toss it in the bin and forget about it. Life is too short to faff about with a poor smoking pipe. Loads of lovely affordable pipes out there to replace it.
Or clean it and give it to Goodwill. I've done that with pipes I don't like anymore; either a less affluent pipe smoker would like to have it, or maybe someone can use it as a prop in a play, or you pass the problem off to some cheap sucker looking for a deal, either way, it won't go to total waste.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Ash is so right. Too many variables are involved in the serendipity that determines a good smoke and a good smoking instrument. I’ve had more cheap pipes smoke beautifully, than expensive pipes smoke badly, but it happens. Bad mouthing an entire brand makes little sense to me. Work WITH your pipes, you might learn something.

I fail to see why it's necessary to bad mouth what others like. And someone, or many, likes something you don't.
While I don't think in my post that "I" was dissing the brand, just saying what a seller told me, and then asked what it was about the particular pipe... I also see that not liking a brand or make of something is totally natural, at least in the world I grew up in, where... Fords all suck, Lee Jeans are horrid, Buddy shoes are for poor people, Coke products, anything made at McDonalds, Kraft cheese, Folgers, and most generic brands all make inferior products. We are a material people, and to have brands and makes that we like and dislike is perfectly natural. Of course this is trickier when a brand helps keep the lights on in out favorite club house, but despite what people have said about one brand or another, I don't think this has much influence on what others buy. Heck, Ford somehow keeps selling cars, right?