PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Dottle, the unburned tobacco that gets dumped from a spent bowl, seems to get two

responses. Some pipe smokers consider burning nearly all or all of the tobacco a sort

of achievement, as if the objective is to smoke every last penny's worth of product.

The second train of thought is that a pinch of dottle at the bottom of the bowl is

natural and acts as a filter to the smoked portion, and ensures a pleasant and cool smoke.

I've had both experiences -- a great smoke with almost no visible dottle when I empty the

bowl, and a great smoke with a definite quantity of unburned tobacco. Tall bowls, like

pokers, seem more prone to this, and some smaller, shallower pipes like small-bowl

bulldogs and Rhodesians, less. I accept Dottle as okay and no big deal. Do you feel

cheated if you have visible unused tobacco?

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Same. I'm glad people can smoke the entire bowl "down to a fine gray ash".
I can't. The relights at that level just taste blech to me. I'd rather grab a fresh bowl.
The little bit that's left over goes into the flower bed. Gives the squirrels something to use in their RYO's.

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
So, there is a name for it! I was thinking it was a rookie mistake. That I was doing something wrong. I actually collected some of it to smoke. Yes! It was as gross as it sounds. Harsh and choking. I won't do that again.

Is tobacco good for flowers?

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
my smaller group 2 size seem to burn it all while the group 4 size leave a little, either way I would never re-light. About 99% of the time I only light once and tamp twice, that's my goal.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I don't mind dottle. When I start to taste ash I'll stir the tobacco and relight. If it still taste like ash then I'm done. I want an enjoyable smoke, so I'm not worried about smoking every last bit of tobacco.

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
"I actually collected some of it to smoke."
misu, Sherlock Holmes saved his dottle for his next smoke. One of the most famous pipe smokers, but with the worst smoking habits imaginable.

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
I do not usually smoke through the dottle, as it is often a tarry mess that burns your mouth when you light it. Seems to be a problem with flakes mostly. There is only one blend that does as it says on the tin and burns to a clean, dry ash and that is Macbaren HH VS.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I guess I was feeling the same way about the dottle that misu was. Thinking I wasn't quite getting the right technique down.

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
Is there a thread for group sizes?
group 2 is smaller than group 4 ;) group 2 is pinky finger only packing group 4 any finger fits, group 2 about a 30 min smoke group 4 about 45 min.

smokeybiker

Lurker
Mar 27, 2013
In my opinion I don't think you need to smoke until all the tobacco has been burned, I just aim to enjoy the smoke. If the bowl is well lit, burning nicely and I happen to smoke it all to ash well...that's great!! but If I've enjoyed the smoke and find some dottle at the bottom of the bowl it doesn't really matter to me.
As for whether the dottle adds a filter of sorts to the smoke, in my (limited) experience, the effects of the dottle depend on what tobacco I'm smoking. I find some create a sour or overly bitter taste and some seem to smooth out the taste a little.

scottishjohn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2012
Broomfield, Colorado
I know it will be hard. Unbearable maybe, but I think I can live without the dottle I dump out. Really guys, tobacco is but a minor cost in life. Surely there are deeper things to ponder during ones smoking time. Or maybe we could develope different compititions, such as; Who has the least dottle left after a smoke? Or, creative ways to use dottle. Or, collect it for making bug repelent on plants. Etc. :rofl:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I rarely get any dottle because the flavor at the bottom of my bowl gets better and better the lower I go. My problem is sucking hot ash looking for the last bit of flavor. If for some reason my bowl does get bitter at the end, I dump it without any thought. I will not smoke something that does not taste great. I think no one should worry about a little dottle, but if you are dumping a 1/4 of the bowl, you might want to think about your packing, drying and smoking techniques. If you are getting a bitter foul taste at the 3/4 mark it could be not dry enough tobacco, smoking too hot or packing too loose or too tight.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I actually don't like the taste of it. It seems to give off a lot of smoke but I cant taste the flavor of tobacco anymore so why bother? Seem like cigrmaster is doing something I'm not because my flavor disappears. I just dump it out and fire up a new bowl.

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
Sherlock Holmes saved his dottle for his next smoke. One of the most famous pipe smokers, but with the worst smoking habits imaginable.

I don't know how he did that on a regular basis. Maybe he was being frugal.
if you are dumping a 1/4 of the bowl, you might want to think about your packing, drying and smoking techniques. If you are getting a bitter foul taste at the 3/4 mark it could be not dry enough tobacco, smoking too hot or packing too loose or too tight.

I'm starting to get the hang of it. Although I'm still in the learning curve.
group 2 is pinky finger only packing group 4 any finger fits, group 2 about a 30 min smoke group 4 about 45 min.

This is handy info. I should keep track of how long it takes for me to smoke each different size pipe. This way, I can get an idea. Especially when hubby smokes a cigar.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
My goal of trying to burn (or at least char) every last bit of tobacco in the heel is not based on economics... it's better for the pipe.
Constantly leaving stinky, wet dottle in the bottom without burning it out is the quickest way I know of to foul a pipe. The moisture should be evaporated (by heat) so it doesn't soak into the wood.
I try to leave only a few small, black, charred pieces and no unburned brown pieces when I finally stir the ashes and dump at the end of a smoke. (I never dump ashes before the end of a smoke.)
Yes, the last couple of relights may taste strong, but like smelly used pipe cleaners, it's just part of pipe smoking. Get used to it. Through the years, your pipes will thank you for the extra attention you've shown them.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Different blends. Different degrees of dottle. Some English & Balkan blends why I'll smoke to the end leaving nothing but white ash. Others, in my case various VAs & Burleys, I'll leave a bit 'O dottle. Varries it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.