PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

javajunkie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2013
It is always a good idea to go ahead and call a meal finished when you feel done. Same with a smoke; if you are no longer interested, or not enjoying it, stop. While I like the idea of smoking to the heel as good form, and good for the pipe, it should never be at the expense of the experience. Learn to pick the tobacco that you can burn through in that pipe, on that occasion.
Then again, my fat a$$ takes delight in routinely cleaning my plate, on both sides of the analogy, but that's just me!

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
I can recall my grandfather putting his dottlel back in his tobacco pouch and stirring it around. Dottle doesn't bother me. I'm like Roth in this. No relights near the end of the bowl. I just toss it.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
Yet, I'll gladly sacrifice a bit of dottle versus sucking in ash or, worse, burning my mouth with steam.

My thoughts exactly. I almost always have some dottle. I hate relighting it, I hate the burning taste and its just not worth ruining a pleasant bowl to me. If it somehow fouls my pipe to the point where I notice it and it bothers me, I guess i'll have to get another pipe, ha.
To each his own.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
I just puff until the smoke begins to taste a little ashy and acrid. Then I consider the session over. Still feel a bit bad about wasting tobacco, gross though it may be.

ebag

Might Stick Around
Feb 16, 2013
I'm more along the lines of roth and them.
A little dottle near the end of the bowl doesn't bother me in the least. Sure, I try to smoke it down to all, at the very least, charred pieces, but at the same time if it starts tasting ashy and acrid then I consider that particular bowl done for the session and dump it out. It's not like tobacco is in short supply right now.

Especially when I go back and visit the south.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
I like the dottle and treat it as a nice filter. Can't stand the taste of the last little bit. You can always use some cheap bulk, like Carter Hall for the "filter" part at the bottom, if you don't want to waste your actual product ;-)

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
I like the dottle and treat it as a nice filter. Can't stand the taste of the last little bit. You can always use some cheap bulk, like Carter Hall for the "filter" part at the bottom, if you don't want to waste your actual product
Suffering from a serious case of "EPARD", also known as the Estate Pipe Acquisition and Restoration Disorder.
Thanks to Hfearly, Carter Hall finds it's way into another thread. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.