Does Your Region Have A Particular Delicacy Or Meal Associated With It?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
The Dutch have great 'snackbars' where you can buy cheap deep fried snacks and frites with any combination of sauces you can imagine. Below are some of my favourites.

This is pretty much my go-to list whenever I'm back in the Netherlands.

'Patatje Oorlog' ('War Frites'), frites covered in mayonnaise, satay sauce and chopped raw onions.
Patatje-Oorlog-Dutch-War-Fries-1-of-3.jpg

'Berenklauw' ('Bear Claw'), sliced meatball deep fried with onion rings covered in satay sauce.
Bereklauw-Berenhap-Berenpoot-Grizzly-Spoetnik..jpg

Frikandel Speciaal, a ground meat deep fried sausage covered in mayonnaise, curry ketchup and chopped onions. Here shown with Patat Speciaal, frites with the same sauce combination.
1280px-Patat_speciaal_and_frikandel_speciaal.jpg

Kroket
1280px-Broodje_kroket.jpg

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
The Dutch have great 'snackbars' where you can buy cheap deep fried snacks and frites with any combination of sauces you can imagine. Below are some of my favourites.

This is pretty much my go-to list whenever I'm back in the Netherlands.

'Patatje Oorlog' ('War Frites'), frites covered in mayonnaise, satay sauce and chopped raw onions.
View attachment 36025

'Berenklauw' ('Bear Claw'), sliced meatball deep fried with onion rings covered in satay sauce.
View attachment 36026

Frikandel Speciaal, a ground meat deep fried sausage covered in mayonnaise, curry ketchup and chopped onions. Here shown with Patat Speciaal, frites with the same sauce combination.
View attachment 36028

Kroket
View attachment 36029
And to think I thought the Dutch are all fit as Olympics athletes, peddling away on their bicycles!

• Haha
Reactions: tobefrank

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Frank- In the 60's in NYC there were Horn and Hardart restaurants with a similar look, though not coin operated. You pushed a button, door popped open, and you put it on a tray, pay at the cashier. I fancied them for few months.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
And to think I thought the Dutch are all fit as Olympics athletes, peddling away on their bicycles!
Well, that's the only way to eat all this and not gain weight.

I always put on a few kg's when I'm travelling to the Netherlands. It's this kind of food and my mom's cooking that are hard to resist.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Here in Australia, my favourite local delicacy is getting a meat pie at a local bakery. They have some award winning bakeries in some of the small towns that bake amazing pies. It is always worth veering off the shortest route when travelling for local holidays.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
When I was a kid, we'd go to the Downtown Chicago "Time To Eat" automat (Horn & Hardart's Chicago cousin). Checkered tile floor, small deal tables and a wall of coin operated glass compartments, each with a selection of food, dessert or beverage. Good food, cheap eats.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Anyone visiting Amsterdam should check this place out. It is the fastest food out there.

Drop your coin in the machine, pick your window and grab your deep fried snack or hamburger. I once had a bad case of the munchies and ate about 20 snacks at one of these places.

View attachment 36023
This is actually perfect because having to deal with human beings when I am stoned is fraught with anxiety and tension. This is basically an automat, no?

When I was in England, I didn't think the food was that bad. Of course, I did not each much that I'd think of as "British." I ate a lot of Doner Kebab, which is similar to the Schwarma we have here, because it was cheap and usually open late, and was more than edible after a night of beer and whiskey. Ate some Indian, Chinese and Thai meals. I had an occasional pasty and meat pie. Some fish and chips. I'm not a big breakfast eater, but I had some of the best in my life there... When I go back, hopefully I'll have a bit more money and get a chance to try some of the better, higher-end British restaurants.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
This is actually perfect because having to deal with human beings when I am stoned is fraught with anxiety and tension. This is basically an automat, no?

When I was in England, I didn't think the food was that bad. Of course, I did not each much that I'd think of as "British." I ate a lot of Doner Kebab, which is similar to the Schwarma we have here, because it was cheap and usually open late, and was more than edible after a night of beer and whiskey. Ate some Indian, Chinese and Thai meals. I had an occasional pasty and meat pie. Some fish and chips. I'm not a big breakfast eater, but I had some of the best in my life there... When I go back, hopefully I'll have a bit more money and get a chance to try some of the better, higher-end British restaurants.

That's right. The only reason I had to deal with the people in the shop was to change a note for some extra coins for the machine. ?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Having been a fat-ass most of my days, I am an authority on chewing things in my general vicinity.

I began life in Baltimore, where I soon developed my lifelong hatred of green beans and radishes. From a very young age, I remember the old black men with horse drawn carts coming down the street, yelling, "Tomatoes! Cantaloupes!" I am that guy in your way at the grocery patiently searching for the perfect tomato.

As one of four kids in a single income blue collar family, we didn't dine out much and it was far from haute cuisine when we did. I had no idea there were peppers other than bell and jalapeno until I left home. Never saw an artichoke or avocado.

One thing dad always had was a boat. We grew up fishing and crabbing on the tributaries of the Chesapeake Bay. The six of us could pack the cooler, load the boat, trailer it from the city to the loading dock, launch and, usually, with hand lines or two modest "trotlines", fill a bushel basket with "keepers" and get home in time to steam them up for dinner.

Blue crabs, steamed in a mixture of water, vinegar and lager, seasoned with Old Bay, with some ears of Maryland "eastern shore" Silver Queen corn on the cob.
1594532669499.png

The heathens here in Texas like to boil crabs. Were it not for their brisket making talents, I'd have dispatched them long ago...

Vine ripened Maryland "ta-maters", sliced thick on white bread with mayo, salt and pepper. (You, know, the BLT, without the BL...)

Downtown Baltimore has/had a thriving "Little Italy" and a stretch known as "Corned Beef Row". An obscene pile of paper thin sliced corned beef on lightly toasted rye, with a squirt of mustard and a fat barrel dill pickle on the side. A pile of Utz potato chips to round out the plate.

1594532527819.png

Polock Johnny's was always good for a quick bite.
1594532942305.png

At age 17, I enlisted and ended up spending most of my seven years in the swamps of Georgia. Running 2-5 miles per day and enduring other calorie burning tortures allowed me to fully enjoy stuffing my face and still fit into my fatigues.

Much criticism can rightfully be launched at military food, but one thing the mess hall got right was breakfast. Take a plate the size of a galvanized trash can lid. Pile onto it a scoop of grits, two over easy eggs, a biscuit with sausage cream gravy and a strip of bacon. Now, grab your knife and fork and mix it all together until it looks like a failed endeavor in reanimation. Liberally shake Tabasco or Texas Pete on top and dig in. That shit would kill me, now... ?

Once off post, I learned the ways of southern dining. One restaurant, I think it was called Ms. Mattie's in the town of Hinesville, just outside the gates of the base. She made two dishes per day, always "home cooked", never fancy.

Corn bread, greens, black eyed peas, chicken, meatloaf, catfish, fresh pies. Good old fashioned Colombian coffee that you had to chew...

Now, being in Texas for 22 years, I don't believe there is a single solid food item I've not had on a tortilla. The sheer number of taco trucks dispersed across the landscape is mind boggling. The ones held together with duct tape and staffed by non-English speaking persons are the ones you seek.

If it walks on four hooves, it has been dissected, seasoned, grilled and offered on corn or flour. Only a gringo wants flour unless it's a breakfast taco.

There's always the choice of red or green salsa. They are never the same. The green ones have a 50% chance of making you sterile. ?

Always get the fresh pico de gallo and cilantro. Most also include a lime wedge to squeeze on top, however, I prefer to pass on that.

Traveling just east of Austin, into Elgin, one will encounter several sausage producers battling for supremacy. A pork/beef link with jalapeno and cheddar built in is my personal favorite. Should I die prematurely due to cardio related issues, these cholesterol bombs will surely be the cause.

I spent two years in Portland, Oregon before coming to Texas. While most of my diet during that period was drugs and alcohol, I do remember fondly Shelly's Honkin' Huge Burritos.
1594534586026.png

These were appropriate nutrition both before and after severe alcohol abuse. She had a great side table next to her cart with dozens of different and interesting hot sauces to try. She was located right on the town square. Sadly, she closed up shop a few years ago. But she made her mark and even has her own "holiday" in Portland.

During Desert Storm, we trained next to some "local" forces for a while. While we were enjoying yet another case of MRE's, it was interesting to see how their supply line worked. One day, they got fruit, vegetables, cheese, bread and live chickens. They had fruit, bread and cheese for breakfast, roast chicken for lunch and chicken stew for dinner. The next day was the same, except the chickens were replaced with goats. They alternated between the two daily. We were quite jealous...

I have to make an honorable mention of New Mexico. I've never lived there, but, when moving from Oregon to Texas, I took a Greyhound to Phoenix, then bicycled through the desert in winter to Texas. My first stop in New Mexico resulted in a big bowl of Green Hatch Chile Pork Stew for breakfast. It was so freakin' awesome, I refused to eat anything else for the duration of my time in the state. Every stop had some. Each place made it a bit differenty, of course, but it was always great. Every year, when the Hatch Chiles come in, I try to grab some and recreate that dish.

I could talk about food all night, but I think I'll go make a sandwich... ?

1594536215437.jpeg

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Having been a fat-ass most of my days, I am an authority on chewing things in my general vicinity.

I began life in Baltimore, where I soon developed my lifelong hatred of green beans and radishes. From a very young age, I remember the old black men with horse drawn carts coming down the street, yelling, "Tomatoes! Cantaloupes!" I am that guy in your way at the grocery patiently searching for the perfect tomato.

As one of four kids in a single income blue collar family, we didn't dine out much and it was far from haute cuisine when we did. I had no idea there were peppers other than bell and jalapeno until I left home. Never saw an artichoke or avocado.

One thing dad always had was a boat. We grew up fishing and crabbing on the tributaries of the Chesapeake Bay. The six of us could pack the cooler, load the boat, trailer it from the city to the loading dock, launch and, usually, with hand lines or two modest "trotlines", fill a bushel basket with "keepers" and get home in time to steam them up for dinner.

Blue crabs, steamed in a mixture of water, vinegar and lager, seasoned with Old Bay, with some ears of Maryland "eastern shore" Silver Queen corn on the cob.
View attachment 36057

The heathens here in Texas like to boil crabs. Were it not for their brisket making talents, I'd have dispatched them long ago...

Vine ripened Maryland "ta-maters", sliced thick on white bread with mayo, salt and pepper. (You, know, the BLT, without the BL...)

Downtown Baltimore has/had a thriving "Little Italy" and a stretch known as "Corned Beef Row". An obscene pile of paper thin sliced corned beef on lightly toasted rye, with a squirt of mustard and a fat barrel dill pickle on the side. A pile of Utz potato chips to round out the plate.

View attachment 36055

View attachment 36058

At age 17, I enlisted and ended up spending most of my seven years in the swamps of Georgia. Running 2-5 miles per day and enduring other calorie burning tortures allowed me to fully enjoy stuffing my face and still fit into my fatigues.

Much criticism can rightfully be launched at military food, but one thing the mess hall got right was breakfast. Take a plate the size of a galvanized trash can lid. Pile onto it a scoop of grits, two over easy eggs, a biscuit with sausage cream gravy and a strip of bacon. Now, grab your knife and fork and mix it all together until it looks like a failed endeavor in reanimation. Liberally shake Tabasco or Texas Pete on top and dig in. That shit would kill me, now... ?

Once off post, I learned the ways of southern dining. One restaurant, I think it was called Ms. Mattie's in the town of Hinesville, just outside the gates of the base. She made two dishes per day, always "home cooked", never fancy.

Corn bread, greens, black eyed peas, chicken, meatloaf, catfish, fresh pies. Good old fashioned Colombian coffee that you had to chew...

Now, being in Texas for 22 years, I don't believe there is a single solid food item I've not had on a tortilla. The sheer number of taco trucks dispersed across the landscape is mind boggling. The ones held together with duct tape and staffed by non-English speaking persons are the ones you seek.

If it walks on four hooves, it has been dissected, seasoned, grilled and offered on corn or flour. Only a gringo wants flour unless it's a breakfast taco.

There's always the choice of red or green salsa. They are never the same. The green ones have a 50% chance of making you sterile. ?

Always get the fresh pico de gallo and cilantro. Most also include a lime wedge to squeeze on top, however, I prefer to pass on that.

Traveling just east of Austin, into Elgin, one will encounter several sausage producers battling for supremacy. A pork/beef link with jalapeno and cheddar built in is my personal favorite. Should I die prematurely due to cardio related issues, these cholesterol bombs will surely be the cause.

I spent two years in Portland, Oregon before coming to Texas. While most of my diet during that period was drugs and alcohol, I do remember fondly Shelly's Honkin' Huge Burritos.
View attachment 36059

These were appropriate nutrition both before and after severe alcohol abuse. She had a great side table next to her cart with dozens of different and interesting hot sauces to try. She was located right on the town square. Sadly, she closed up shop a few years ago. But she made her mark and even has her own "holiday" in Portland.

During Desert Storm, we trained next to some "local" forces for a while. While we were enjoying yet another case of MRE's, it was interesting to see how their supply line worked. One day, they got fruit, vegetables, cheese, bread and live chickens. They had fruit, bread and cheese for breakfast, roast chicken for lunch and chicken stew for dinner. The next day was the same, except the chickens were replaced with goats. They alternated between the two daily. We were quite jealous...

I have to make an honorable mention of New Mexico. I've never lived there, but, when moving from Oregon to Texas, I took a Greyhound to Phoenix, then bicycled through the desert in winter to Texas. My first stop in New Mexico resulted in a big bowl of Green Hatch Chile Pork Stew for breakfast. It was so freakin' awesome, I refused to eat anything else for the duration of my time in the state. Every stop had some. Each place made it a bit differenty, of course, but it was always great. Every year, when the Hatch Chiles come in, I try to grab some and recreate that dish.

View attachment 36060
Every year we make jalapeno cheese moose sausage (summer, polish, dogs, and hunter sticks.). If you told me it would kill me at 55, I wouldn’t stop making it.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Cincinnati is a city of contradictions and cultural clashes, managing to combine a small-town sensibility with urban amenities and Southern flair with Midwestern practicality.

That's also a pretty solid description of the city's most famous regional food. Cincinnati chili, the dish spooned up at the wildly popular regional franchise Skyline Chili, is alternately beloved and hated. Sought after by rabid fans and passionately hated by at least one Deadspin reporter, the meat-based chili is sweet, strange, and often served atop a bed of spaghetti.

Despite its fame, Skyline Chili remains something of a mystery. Cincinnati locals fight about its secret ingredient (Bay leaf powder? Cinnamon? Chocolate?), while the rest of the country wonders if it's even chili at all. Let's take a look behind the curtain at one of the country's most notorious regional foods, from its origins as a highly guarded family secret to its unholy rebirth as a craft cocktail.

Chili 4 way, spaghetti, onions and cheese

4-way_Cincinnati_chili_from_Camp_Washington_Chili_in_Cincinnati_OH_USA.jpg

Cheese coneys with chili, cheese on a hot dog with onions and cheese

bd3f0534ba4e9f8429380b262c2e5832.jpg
Are you a Cincinnati boy?

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains

View attachment 36057

View attachment 36055

View attachment 36058

View attachment 36059

View attachment 36060
Man, that there's some poetry. Sheer beauty that made me hungry!

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Growing up in Chicago until I was 10 our parents would take us to Franksville where I would get a foot long hot dog with ketchup only...I was a kid, so ketchup was ok. A real treat was when we went to Superdawg Drive-In. Fifty plus years later, I still love a good Chicago hot dog...everything, no sport peppers.

rs=h_650,cg_true,m - Edited.png
superd2 - Edited.jpg

Reactions: dino
Status
Not open for further replies.