PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Nicotine, as with any stimulant, can effect individuals differently. Yes, some people feel "sleepy" with any chemical change in the brain. Similar effects can be observed with caffeine. The science is actually quite fascinating. Basically, it is a subjective response to a stimulus and not an objective measure.

And on a similar note, I will actually fall asleep while watching any sporting event. I find it all dreadfully boring. But for many others, sports are a major stimulant.

Gotcha ;) I’m gonna say case closed here. Different effects for different folks, but typically stimulating.

My wife can and often does drink coffee right before bed. Like I’m settled down reading and it smells like breakfast on her side. lol!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BROBS and danimalia

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
When I first started on the pipe, quite recently. I bought some Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired. I only dried out one flake and then smoked it right through. Right after that I felt a complete relaxed sleepy feeling, which I was sure (still am) was down to the tobacco. Went to bed and sleep like a log, woke up the next morning in the fireplace... ha ha sorry. No but it really did help me sleep. I don't really get that now. And also, now I smoke nightcap (which is considered medium/high nic) regularly throughout the day, without any noticeable sleep inducing affect...
I think that:

1) You can build a tolerance to nicotine.

2) Your blood sugar levels and time of day are factors.

Also, I bought some brown rope, a month or so ago... I had read things like "watch out for this", "I couldn't smoke a full bowl" etc.
So I was expecting something powerful and hitting. I smoked it with no real noticeable affect. I didn't get anything except a harsh feeling on the throat. I didn't bother with it again until about 2 days ago, which, this time, kicked my ass a bit. I feel nauseous and light-headed.
So you will get different opinions from different people and even different experiences from the same people, if you catch my drift.
But there are many biological and chemical things going on that, as cosmic says, you can research and also that others on here are a bit more savvy to and can explain.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I totally believe you, but were you smoking it into a nicotine overdose feeling? I mean, smoking a small bowl of some heavy rope would be very different from packing a big bowl of rope before bed and smoking it past a blood sugar level reaction.
I'm very familiar with that nicotine overdose feeling, having had it several times over the years, but I've learned to control my puffing frequency and that has solved the problem. If I smoke a high nicotine blend in the evening, which is rare, I generally smoke it in a very small bowl like a Falcon Bantam bowl.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I bought some Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired. I only dried out one flake and then smoked it right through. Right after that I felt a complete relaxed sleepy feeling, which I was sure (still am) was down to the tobacco.
Gotta get me some of that, I guess, for those times when I can't have a nightcap martini.

It's puzzling, this Nesbitt's Paradox thing: nicotine is s'posed to make you alert, then after a given level make you sleepy. Puzzling how you can get the calming effect with some blends/tobaccos without feeling the alertness effect and without passing through the poisoning stage. If I tried to reach the levels required for a calming/drowsiness-inducing effect through smoking more I'd be puking before I felt sleepy.

Reactions: diamondback
Sep 4, 2019
East TN
Anecdotally, last summer, recently returned to the pipe after about 8 years.. mid morning, had a bowl of some burley something or other, breakfast ingested a couple hours before.. Everything went sideways like that Star Trek episode where the water sped everyone up... you know the one... dizzy, nauseous and had to lie down.. I was sleepy and had to pass out from it, that N overdose. Now many months later.. I do smoke a pipe in the evening and yes it does mellow me out and I sleep pretty good. So... for me, not a "stimulant"

Reactions: diamondback
Too strong nicotine delivered very quickly gives me horrible headache. I tried Juul once and that stuff is extremely dangerous.

On the other hand, strong nicotine delivered slowly, but over a considerable amount of time (Occasionally cigars, very rare occasion pipes) can make me wanting to take a nap. The cigars and pipe tobacco which caused this to me are (Ones that I strongly remember)

1. 601 Blue Label Maduro
  2. Monte Christo White Label by AJ Fernandez - Although 7 / 8 alcoholic drinks and the time (3 AM) May also have something to do with that, as that’s supposed to be a mild cigar
  3. GH Dark Flake

Last edited:

Spa32

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2019
Wisconsin, USA
When I used to smoke cigars, there were plenty of times that I would feel tired and nauseated. Especially in the early stages of trial.

Idahojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 30, 2019
Wilder, Idaho
Nicotine keeps me awake. I smoke heavy nic blends in the morning to get my heart started. Mild blends are reserved for late in the evening. I'm like that with coffee also.
Your experience mirrors my own.
I learned it the hard way. Now. I smoke a bowl of English (usually Plum Pudding) in the morning. If I smoke another bowl later in the day, its usually an Aromatic. This combo works well for me.

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
I've felt sleepy after some Very strong tobaccos (usually stuff heavy on the dark fired Kentucky or other strong leaf), but I can't be sure if it was coincidence or if the tobacco caused it.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I usually feel quite energised after smoking a pipe, but I'm not sure this is because of the nicotine or because of spending some time relaxing on my own (I'm an introvert).

I have also had headaches and nausea from smoking too much, but I never felt sleepy.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Funny topic I remember when I was in college and I smoked a fuente opus x cigar and needless to say I finished it and went right to bed lol

Status
Not open for further replies.