PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I’ve read where nicotine goes so far in some people as to actually make them sleepy. And while it relaxes me and clears my mind, I’ve never gotten the “time for a nap” effect.

It’d be quite helpful on nights like tonight when my old pal Insomnia stops by for a most unwelcome visit.

Harrumph.

Any nicotine sleepers out there?

Reactions: Bowie
Have you ever smoked a strong tobacco or cigar that has given you that tobacco poisoning feeling? It starts with a queasy feeling, and if you continue with taking a bite of something with sugar in it, you will eventually smoke yourself into nausea. But, if you take a bite of chocolate and continue, you will smoke yourself to sleep.

I have posted in about six threads since the format change, my own over-simplifications of what was posted by folks in the biology field that know more about blood sugars and how it is effected by nicotine. They are in this forum, and can be googled.
But, it is not a stimulant in the same way caffeine or other drugs are. It is linked to the release of sugars into the blood, and depletion.

Most people smoke pipes for the relaxing lowering of blood pressure effects it has on calming their nerves. Cigarette smokers don't get this effect from inhaling the more acidic nicotine directly into their lungs. They tend to get a more rapid heartbeat and nervousness after chain smoking several cigarettes. I've never gotten anything like this from the pipe... except for when I was first quitting cigarettes and moving to the pipe in the beginning... and I was slightly inhaling the smoke at that point. But, after developing better pipe smoking habits, I now only get relaxation.

Nicotine is an amazing drug, and the human body and brain is also amazing, with each person having his/her own reactions and experiences.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I’ve read where nicotine goes so far in some people as to actually make them sleepy.
Nicotine, as with any stimulant, can effect individuals differently. Yes, some people feel "sleepy" with any chemical change in the brain. Similar effects can be observed with caffeine. The science is actually quite fascinating. Basically, it is a subjective response to a stimulus and not an objective measure.

And on a similar note, I will actually fall asleep while watching any sporting event. I find it all dreadfully boring. But for many others, sports are a major stimulant.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Yes. I find that it clears the mind as well. I usually smoke a pipe before meditation, although it can cause issues with pranayama. So water and wait about 10 minutes is a good choice. Now this might not be the same with cigarettes, considering how it’s ingested. (I don’t smoke cigarettes but used to and don’t remember the nicotine to be relaxing.)

Reactions: diamondback
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I think it keeps me up at night.. those pipes of rope at 11 pm. I do love a nice nap with a chew though.. crazy lucid dreams. Be careful if you try that, make sure your head is tilted just right so that you dont drool. If you slobber on the arm of the couch your wife might say that's ridiculous. I belive pipe tobacco has a different effect. Never noticed any affect on sleep from cigarettes.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Nicotine keeps me awake. I smoke heavy nic blends in the morning to get my heart started. Mild blends are reserved for late in the evening. I'm like that with coffee also.

I bought some Five Brothers on your recommendation, that stuff is good. Just had a couple bowls its like a cup of coffee. Also to be pretty basic if smoked slowly there are quite a few flavors there.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Why do you think they call it Nightcap? Queasy, a little off balance, and yes sleepy, though if you have a good meal and stay hydrated, and don't go for the highest nic blend online, you may just get a nifty little buzz. I never go for that, but when it arrives, I consider it a treat. I've used a cigar to keep me awake after lunch driving on road trips, the "upper" aspect of nicotine. So it is fickle and interacts in different ways.

Reactions: diamondback

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Have you ever smoked a strong tobacco or cigar that has given you that tobacco poisoning feeling? It starts with a queasy feeling, and if you continue with taking a bite of something with sugar in it, you will eventually smoke yourself into nausea. But, if you take a bite of chocolate and continue, you will smoke yourself to sleep.

I have posted in about six threads since the format change, my own over-simplifications of what was posted by folks in the biology field that know more about blood sugars and how it is effected by nicotine. They are in this forum, and can be googled.
But, it is not a stimulant in the same way caffeine or other drugs are. It is linked to the release of sugars into the blood, and depletion.

Most people smoke pipes for the relaxing lowering of blood pressure effects it has on calming their nerves. Cigarette smokers don't get this effect from inhaling the more acidic nicotine directly into their lungs. They tend to get a more rapid heartbeat and nervousness after chain smoking several cigarettes. I've never gotten anything like this from the pipe... except for when I was first quitting cigarettes and moving to the pipe in the beginning... and I was slightly inhaling the smoke at that point. But, after developing better pipe smoking habits, I now only get relaxation.

Nicotine is an amazing drug, and the human body and brain is also amazing, with each person having his/her own reactions and experiences.

Ahh, okay! This is what I was looking for! I’ll Google around and see if I can find these.

I’m kind of nic-immune for the most part — insofar as getting sick from it. Now, having said that I will admit that I’ve definitely overdone it! Example I’ll smoke a bowl of a tasty nic-heavy English and have followed it with a heavy cigar.

When that terrible wave hits, Katie bar the door! I usually strip down to my bare chest and lie perfectly still under a ceiling fan. ? Most unpleasant! I know I should grab sugar, chocolate, a Coke, etc. but if they’re not in my path I don’t wind up with ‘em. And true, I have gotten drowsy then. ?

I kept reading where people smoke nicotine heavy blends before bed (like @mso489 mentions Nightcap) and I thought maybe there were folks who literally got tired after just a bit of nicotine, and no doubt there probably are. Benadryl, for example, keeps me awake like coffee. Go figure. Night or day, if I take Benadryl I may as well go up and shoot pool, I’ll be wide awake. My wife and kids, and most everyone else: zonked out ??‍♂️.

Reactions: Bowie

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Why do you think they call it Nightcap? Queasy, a little off balance, and yes sleepy, though if you have a good meal and stay hydrated, and don't go for the highest nic blend online, you may just get a nifty little buzz. I never go for that, but when it arrives, I consider it a treat. I've used a cigar to keep me awake after lunch driving on road trips, the "upper" aspect of nicotine. So it is fickle and interacts in different ways.

Nightcap just melts in my mouth — yummy factor! It’s never made me queasy/tired/etc. ??‍♂️

@cosmicfolklore must be on the money. It just affects different physiologies in different ways? Like me and Benadryl.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.