PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 31, 2014
I'm still a newbie to pipe smoking but I'm curious if anyone just doesn't like 1Q? The only two tobaccos I have so far are my b&m version of 1Q and Frog Morton Cellar. I have probably had 5 bowls now of 1Q in two different pipes. I get hardly any sweetness and honestly it tastes a bit ashy and hot. Am I maybe packing it wrong, need to let it dry out? Other ideas? Or do I just not like it?

FMC on the otherhand I really enjoy. Doesn't get hot, nice flavor and very enjoyable. I pack and smoke them both the same way. I really wanted to like 1Q and other aros. Should I try something that is maybe sweeter like a Molto Dolce to compare?

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I'm sure some folks will dismiss is as an aro or too mellow but for me, 1Q will always be a loved blend. That said, there is always some folks who just don't like whatever certain blend is being discussed. I would say something is definitely amiss if you are only getting ashy and hot flavors though. I pack 1Q like any other ribbon and smoke it slow. It isn't sweet and aromatic the way stronger aro's are, so don't look for it to be like Connoisseurs Choice or Hobbit's Weed. It should come across smooth and very mildly sweet. I'd say keep playing with it and see if you can't coax some better flavor out of it before discounting it completely. Try and dry it out a bit and see if that helps. At least until you are done with however much you bought. If you don't like it in the end, then don't give it another thought and try something new.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
If you love FM Cellar, you might look more to medium blends rather than light fragrant or heavy sweet aros. Try the other FM blends, they are all good blends, even if there's one you do not take to.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
With most aros that I smoke, once it starts to taste bad it is time to dump some ash. Usually that clears up most of the problem -for me anyways- and after a few more puffs the blend tastes normal again. If it tastes bad the entire time you may want to not buy it from the B&M anymore. I buy 1Q from Just For Him or P&C and have had no issues.
1Q isn't a strong tasting blend, it has a mellow sweetness to it ... that can go south if you don't ash it regularly.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'm sure there are some that don't care for it.
I personally love it. It's my go to smoke. Usually keep a pound or two on hand. Nice Cavendish blend with a solid vanilla flavoring. To me it's like a creamy vanilla custard flavor. Comes at a decent moisture level and burns really well. I've never had tongue bite from it. And yes, the ladies do LOVE it.
I think a major problem as far as tasting the flavors go is not having the palate moist. Make sure you're hydrated before lighting up and keep sipping on some water throughout the smoke. I've found the sipping helps keep a better smoking rhythm. Also, the flavor comes through more pronounced if you chew on the smoke. Kind of like a wine tasting. Take a puff and then swirl the smoke around in your mouth and let it get underneath your tongue. More taste buds get engaged this way and give a better flavor profile.
I wouldn't be disappointed if you prefer one blend style over another. Like what you smoke and smoke what you like.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
I bought two ounces of Lane's 1Q that I didn't like. It was too mild, no flavor for my taste. I'll suggest some 7 Seas original for a flavorful aro. I too like FM Cellar which is a Latakia blend. However, I don't care for On The Bayou or On The Town. Too many good English blends to settle for those two though FM original is one of my favorites. I have an unopened tin of Molto Dolce that I would love to give a way! I bought two based on a recommendation but, I'm not fond of black tongue. :wink:

Mar 31, 2014
I think yall are hitting it all over for me. Like some of you said, uninspired, weak. That really is what I'm getting from it. Bragg I'm wondering if the B&M might be it as well. Saint, PM sent about that Molto Dolce :D
Thanks for all of the responses. Any other aro recommendations that may have more flavor?

Jan 8, 2013
It was the very first tobacco I tried, and honestly, I didn't care much for it plain. I have been told that Tinderbox Waffle House is a blending of 1Q and McClelland Vanilla Black. I like that a lot more. Adds a little depth and body to the smoke. For 2 years that was all I smoked. I have also tried a mix that Cobguy makes, 1Q with some Carter Hall, and it was amazing. I don't smoke aros as much as I used to, since discovering all that is out there I lean toward the VA family these days, but I still enjoy them from time to time. 1Q isn't bad, but it isn't good either. It needs a little something to make it complete.

masspiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2014
I threw out approx. 8oz of it 2.5 months ago finished the bowl and tossed the rest along with Golden Dansk hated them both. :x

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I threw out approx. 8oz of it 2.5 months ago

Noooooooo! I would have happily traded you. Also, I never judge a tobacco on one bowl but YMMV. I knew 1Q was a subtle blend with very mellow flavors but I had no idea so many people disliked it. I can certainly see that if you are a strong/full flavor lover, 1Q is likely not up your alley. Like many have said though, there is no one blend for all smokers.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I learned on 1Q and for 42 years it was all I smoked. Since then I've expanded to other aros that I like a lot better, but 1Q does have a soft spot in my heart.
I think that you're smoking the 1Q too fast and hot - each tobacco has a differenct cadence, you just have to find it. Try packing it lighter and only light the center - then nice and slow. If you don't like it, don't throw it out, post it for trade.

amiller

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2013
There is some kind of strange aftertaste 1q leaves in my mouth that I can't stand. I don't love aromatics, but there are many higher quality aromatics that have much more depth and lack that strange aftertaste. Pretty much all of Lane's famous aro's are hard for me to process. But Sutliff and other brands I don't have any issue with. Trying to work a few more in to my rotation for those times out in public...

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
... for 42 years it was all I smoked
Wow plateauguy ... that's amazing! I guess my Uncle Frank was that way with PA and CH.
I'm lucky if I smoke the same thing twice in one day. lol
It needs a little something to make it complete.
... and CH seems to fit the bill. Glad you enjoyed that "Hall-Q" mix Jason!

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
I don't like 1Q- I didn't feel like I was smoking tobacco. To me, 1Q is all like "Ooh look at me, look at me. I'm Lane 1Q and I'm an aromatic!" Really though, it's flavor is totally generic and lacks any and all kinds of "authenticity", if you will. When I smoked 1Q I felt like I was hanging out with that one guy from Two and a Half Men. You know what I mean.
Sorry 1Q fans, I know it's not "correct" to rag on other people's tobacco, but; you will persevere, for you have strength in numbers. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.