• Smoke Mainly Inside My Home/Yard

Votes: 34 28.3%
  • About Evenly Split

Votes: 13 10.8%

• Total voters

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
For me, the question is "What is the most important thing in your life?" For me, the answer is my Bride of 29 years! Since she is asthmatic, smoking in the house was never an option. Thus, I smoke in my detached garage.

Actually, my wife was curious about the smoking tent at a previous Chicago Pipe Show. She took a big breath, rushed into the tent, looked around, moved outside, and took another breath.

Reactions: Derby and timelord

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
I'm lucky enough to have a shed in my backyard where I can sit out of the heat and out of the elements here in Florida. A couple of fans and a light for at night and I'm good.

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I always smoke outside my home (I have young 'uns), but usually on the back porch, the garage (with the doors open if it is warm enough), or the back yard.

But I also do plenty of walking 'round the neighborhood puffin' the pipe. And I'll occasionally smoke at the park on Sundays with friends, or other settings with like-minded folk.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Nearly entirely at home and inside. I've toted my pipe on walks, but usually run out of leaf, so I'm a man carrying a pipe. I sometimes take a pipe on a trip, and then judiciously seek out a non-contentious spot to smoke, like away from the front door, or in a distant part of the parking lot at a motel. Some places offer pleasant seating outdoors and ashtrays, but that's a special treat. Around town, it's too much diplomacy and scouting for a place, and by the time it's all negotiated, it's not relaxing. It's demoralizing to get reprimanded, especially where the rules aren't clear, and I just feel dissed. I'm looking for meditative relaxation, not a brawl. Also, I am considerate of people who have real medical problems -- asthma, COPD, chemical sensitivities (sometimes from chemo) etc. I don't want to make someone miserable to make myself feel serene.
that's weird. I would have thought you'd not get any guff. Not that no one would say anything but that when they did, I imagine it would have stayed civil with them apologizing as much as you did too.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
If I am there, I’m smoking.

When we had a new section added to the house, my wife designed herself a bathroom with a fancy hot tub. She told me I couldn’t smoke in there, amd I just nodded in acknowledgment.
Then she asked me to adjust her shower door, so I told her that I’d do it when I wasn’t smoking my pipe.
She sighed… “but, you’re always smoking a pipe.”
I said, “yep.”
Now you’ll find me smoking in the hot tub at the end of a long day in the fields. puffy

Follow me for more marriage tips and techniques.
honestly if your wife goes on trial for skinning you I am not going to be at all surprised, well excepting the fact she seems more clever then that.

honestly if your wife goes on trial for skinning you I am not going to be at all surprised, well excepting the fact she seems more clever then that.
Ha ha, no, I am totally the one being scammed. She has me totally head over heels in love with her. I'm duped, suckered, I just have some survival skills to make love bearable. Plus, I take the garbage out. Things balance out, ha ha. puffy

• Haha
Reactions: RonB and timelord

Snakeseye

Lurker
Aug 15, 2021
Israel
I usually find smoking outside inconvenient, and it's hard for me to find a place where it is ideal and peaceful enough to enjoy a pipe just about in the city.
I still do it some times, but I often take my pipes outside and can't find a time and place to enjoy a pipe, and rather just wait until I get home.

Call Me Late

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2021
Windsor Ontario
I only smoke outside the home. My wife says she like the smell until I try to smoke inside. I can’t even get my initial light inside or she thinks I’m stinking up the house. I think she like that I have a hobby but doesn’t want to be included

Reactions: Snakeseye

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
I think The terminology was misused; as a lot of folks assumed “outside” meant just that, instead of the inferred AWAY from home.
I smoke outdoors, but mainly “Inside home/yard” ie. I smoke on my back porch.
When people saw “Inside home/yard” they instinctively selected “outside” whereas I believe what was intended was really “ do you smoke at home, or away from home”. I think a lot of folks got confused because of the linking of home and yard, and naturally chose “outside home/yard” if they smoke on their deck, patio, garage, etc to mean they don’t smoke inside their home.
If you change the terminology, I think you’ll see a drastically different polling.

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
I don't like the gunk and stink that smoke leaves on everything when smoking inside. I used to smoke inside only when I lived in an apartment with no outdoor space and ended up having to paint the walls every couple of years due to sticky, smelly crap all over them. I try to keep it outside only but I don't put my pipe down when I have to venture into the house. I just don't sit in the house to smoke.

And BTW, I rarely smoke away from home/yard. AKA, in public.

bron340

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 16, 2019
Minot, ND
I smoke on my porch until it is too cold to be outdoors. I do bring a pipe occasionally to the local brewery so I can enjoy a pint and a pipe.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

rdpowell

Might Stick Around
Oct 25, 2017
East Texas
rdpipes.briar.club
Couldn't vote because SHOP wasn't covered. I don't and won't smoke in the house or my truck.
I smoke in my shop and outside when the weather is nice and find that my pipe tastes so much better outdoors.
I think it's because I'm not inhaling all the exhaled smoke that gathers in the shop or any other building for that
matter.

Reactions: Aomalley27

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
The only times I've ever smoked a pipe inside anywhere has been at the local B&M which offers a lounge. And then I've been the guy with a pipe while everyone else around me is enjoying a cigar. There's been no issues, except a bit of oddity as pipe and cigar tobacco mingle in the air and our nose. Adds a nice depth I feel.

Otherwise, I'm either outside or in my car. Wife and 3/4 kids have breathing issues, so no smoking inside. I'm ok with that. I have a very nice front porch with an even nicer porch swing that is just made for spending 45 minutes looking out at my personal slice of suburban heaven. Honestly, I prefer outside. The fresh air and peace (compared to inside, where a 4 year old lives) makes for a better smoking experience.

This coming winter, I plan on sneaking a pipe in the garage/ workshop to see if I can get away with it. Mainly for those times when the liquid in the thermometer freezes solid, evaporates, or floats away due to heavy rains. If I have to, I can create sawdust or run the motorcycle to cover the pleasant aromas. Burley and pine or English and exhaust could make some very nice shave soap scent profiles maybe.

falconsmoker

Might Stick Around
Sep 4, 2021
I only smoke outside my home/yard and car. I well remember the stain, stink and odor of cigarette smoking inside our house and car growing up, even our clothes smelled like cigarettes. No thank you, all my smoking is done outside of the home and car.