PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Slidell, LA
If you're really concern about reusing the jars, just wash them and then dip them in a Star San solution.
I brew my own mead and reuse the gallon glass jars all the time. I dip every thing I use in a Star San solution of 1 oz. to five gallon of water. I then let everything air dry.
If you're concerned about the warning label, it's there because the stuff is acid based and could make you sick if you drink it straight. My son is an executive chef and he said every good kitchen he's worked in used Star San to clean and sanitize everything. He even uses it at home.
Screenshot 2024-10-26 at 9.25.00 AM.png

Now that I think about it, I may pick up a cheap flea market pipe and dip the bowl and the stem in Star San to see if it can de-ghost the pipe.

Roach1

Lifer
Nov 25, 2023
Germany
If you're really concern about reusing the jars, just wash them and then dip them in a Star San solution.
I brew my own mead and reuse the gallon glass jars all the time. I dip every thing I use in a Star San solution of 1 oz. to five gallon of water. I then let everything air dry.
If you're concerned about the warning label, it's there because the stuff is acid based and could make you sick if you drink it straight. My son is an executive chef and he said every good kitchen he's worked in used Star San to clean and sanitize everything. He even uses it at home.
View attachment 344723

Now that I think about it, I may pick up a cheap flea market pipe and dip the bowl and the stem in Star San to see if it can de-ghost the pipe.
Good idea. I have seen it also used for cleaning beer bottles for home brewing and if your son says they clean the kitchen with ot you cant go wrong.

Reactions: BlueMaxx

Briarcutter

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
.....y'all empty your jars?
Yeah, that's the biggest problem with pipe smoking.....emptying too many jars😉
It gets costly to keep having to refill them.
Yes, empty them before refilling them with a different tobacco, unless you don't mind cross blending. A little bit of some tobacco will really change others added to it.

Reactions: BlueMaxx and ziv

BlueMaxx

Can't Leave
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana
Yeah, that's the biggest problem with pipe smoking.....emptying too many jars😉
It gets costly to keep having to refill them.
Yes, empty them before refilling them with a different tobacco, unless you don't mind cross blending. A little bit of some tobacco will really change others added to it.

I have been refilling a mason jar of SPC plum pudding for years with no ill effect other than a thinner wallet.

Dec 6, 2019
Dixieland
My dishwasher has a sterilization setting. The steam that it generates is the home equivalent of an autoclave. Those things are coming out of my dishwasher cleaner and safer than any hand wash could do. There is zero reason for concern about mold with this process, which is as easy as pushing a button. Reuse, recycle. Easy peasy.

Maybe if you have that kind of dishwasher...

If your dishwasher doesn't sterilize properly for whatever reason, mold could certainly be a concern.

I don't have a dishwasher at all. My wife says we need one, I don't see it myself.

Contamination is always a concern when storing tobacco for the long haul. You can't see the mold spores, but they're all around you right now.

The jars are sterilized at the factory... If you want to play fast and loose, have at it. But don't convince yourself of something like, "there is zero concern for mold."

WirelessSmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2024
New England
With all the careless spending I see on this site, 500 dollar pipes and such, you guys are too cheap for fresh jars?

Mason jars are not an expensive thing.
Like $500 pipes, the jars are meant to be used more than once. I might consider new jars for serious long term storage, but I'm not in that world at the moment. I just want to keep the tobacco I'm smoking from drying out maybe for a period of a year or so. I also have found nothing stating that new jars are sterilized, let alone even clean from the factory. Maybe some manufacturers do but nothing I've read says so.

For the record my whole pipe collection doesn't amount to anywhere near $500 :ROFLMAO:

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I reuse the jar and ring. The lid usually gets replaced to ensure a good seal and avoid odor transfer.

The jar gets a trip through the dish washer. So far I've never had a problem.

If I'm jarring something valueable for the long term I rinse the jar and lid in Star-San brewery sanitizing solution. It's no-rinse and food grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.