PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
North Central Florida
My tobaccos usually arrive in 1# bags. I used to just keep them all in a large cooler. No problem.
Once I realized that going to the cooler was a hassle, I started re-using any old jar I had 'created'
Jam jars, Old Codger Blend tubs, Smucker's natural peanut butter jars, and ya, some masonry jars.
I still use all of these 'methods'.
I've been using a large Sterlite covered salad bowl as a mixing bowl for years. I mix up about 2 or 3 ozs of whatever, and just refill from that. Its large mouth, not unlike its owner, I fear, helps to keep the crumbs in the bowl.

khiddy

Can't Leave
Jun 21, 2024
South Bend, Indiana
blog.hallenius.org
Those instructions are probably for canning.

With canning your killing anything you might have added while washing the jars. With the tobacco you aren't sterilizing it after you wash. Washing things in the sink does not completely sterilize them.

Idk.. I'm quite sure they've been sterilized at the factory, but who knows.

If you guys want moldy tobacco, knock yourselves out. Haha
My dishwasher has a sterilization setting. The steam that it generates is the home equivalent of an autoclave. Those things are coming out of my dishwasher cleaner and safer than any hand wash could do. There is zero reason for concern about mold with this process, which is as easy as pushing a button. Reuse, recycle. Easy peasy.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
There is about zero chance any flavor would come from a lid. My only concern is that if the center lid part is old it may be less elastic and thus a small chance of a leak. There are bigger things in life to worry about.

Reactions: Roach1 and ziv

Briarcutter

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
I reuse them all the time. Wipe them out with a paper towel seems to remove odor of last tobacco. I make sure no tobacco is on the rim of the jar before I close it. Once tobacco is on the rim and resealed it seems very difficult to remove it from the rubber seal. If need be, toss the lid, get a new lid and save the jar, they last for years.
Most dangerous to jars is gravity😁

Reactions: ziv

BlueMaxx

Can't Leave
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana
Subj - do you reuse mason jars to store a different blend? I suppose glass doesn't absorb smell all that much, but I think the lid does - maybe the insulation ring. Do you replace lids?

What about mylar bags - do they absorb smell?

Jars yes, lids no…retaining ring yes.
Just wash the jar in hot soapy water (you can get a bottle washer to reach down to the bottom of large jars at Rural King, TSC, etc) …rinse very well…put them on an oven trey.
Set the oven to 200-220 and let the jars bake for twenty minutes.
Remove and put a towel over them till they cool completely and then put back on a lid loosely to keep contaminants out using your retaining ring to keep them safe till you need them.
It's nice to have some prepared and ready for when new blends come through.
We do this whether it is canning food or tobacco.

Last edited:
Reactions: ziv

Roach1

Lifer
Nov 25, 2023
Germany
I have a few mason jars that I use for the same blends over and over. HauntedBookshopand OJK for example. I normally use Bormioli jars which are less expensive and available locally for other blends . I wash the jars and use new lids.

Reactions: BlueMaxx and ziv
Status
Not open for further replies.