PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 19, 2024
South Florida
Subj - do you reuse mason jars to store a different blend? I suppose glass doesn't absorb smell all that much, but I think the lid does - maybe the insulation ring. Do you replace lids?

What about mylar bags - do they absorb smell?

Reactions: BlueMaxx

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Love the confidence!
Confidence? How about watching one’s nickels. Glass is a resilient material that can go through an autoclave if one has concern about mold. More importantly, a mason jar is the epitome of reliability. Run it through your dishwasher if you have any concerns. I do use new lids, but not always. I have perhaps 100 jars of tobacco, many that have been already reused. When 8 jars become empty, I know it’s time to purchase another pound.

Dec 6, 2019
Dixieland
So the old jar is not good for tobacco, but good enough for food. Priorities, right?

With the food though, the canning process sterilizes the whole situation.

I just feel like I could never get the jars as clean as they come from the factory by washing them.

Some people wash them first... I don't want to expose them to tap water, soap, or rags.

I mean for most my jars of tobacco to possibly last for 20 years. If it's just a jar I'm smoking through in a hurry I wouldn't care how clean it is.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
With the food though, the canning process sterilizes the whole situation.

I just feel like I could never get the jars as clean as they come from the factory by washing them.

Some people wash them first... I don't want to expose them to tap water, soap, or rags.

I mean for most my jars of tobacco to possibly last for 20 years. If it's just a jar I'm smoking through in a hurry I wouldn't care how clean it is.
Have you tried bleach? It's in dishwasher detergent so stick the jar in the dishwasher. Or soak the jar with a bleach solution overnight (bleach breaks down overnight).

Dec 6, 2019
Dixieland
Have you tried bleach? It's in dishwasher detergent so stick the jar in the dishwasher. Or soak the jar with a bleach solution overnight (bleach breaks down overnight).

I'm just trying to minimize the steps, thus minimizing the exposure.

If I didn't have a way to get rid of the used jars, I might try some new methods. My wife acts like she can't get enough used mason jars though, she's always got some kind of food perservation thing going.

Reactions: mingc

WirelessSmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2024
New England

I can't speak for other brands instructions but the Ball packing says to "wash jars, lids and bands in hot soapy water. Rinse well." I don't remember if I did that before using mine for the first time, but I probably will from now on.

Dr. Van Loafer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2022
Indiana
Yes, I reuse mason jars and lids. With lids I do distinguish between latakia from non latakia blends when reusing lids. Wash the jars and lids either in dishwasher or with soap and water, then dry with a clean paper towel. If extra worried can use an alcohol swab to make sure it is clean.

Mylar I have reused but the smell does stay in the bag, so again I distinguish latakia from non latakia bags.

Reactions: ziv

Dr. Internet

Might Stick Around
Yes, I reuse mason jars and lids. With lids I do distinguish between latakia from non latakia blends when reusing lids. Wash the jars and lids either in dishwasher or with soap and water, then dry with a clean paper towel. If extra worried can use an alcohol swab to make sure it is clean.

Mylar I have reused but the smell does stay in the bag, so again I distinguish latakia from non latakia bags.
I do the same.

Reactions: Dr. Van Loafer
Dec 6, 2019
Dixieland
I can't speak for other brands instructions but the Ball packing says to "wash jars, lids and bands in hot soapy water. Rinse well." I don't remember if I did that before using mine for the first time, but I probably will from now on.

Those instructions are probably for canning.

With canning your killing anything you might have added while washing the jars. With the tobacco you aren't sterilizing it after you wash. Washing things in the sink does not completely sterilize them.

Idk.. I'm quite sure they've been sterilized at the factory, but who knows.

If you guys want moldy tobacco, knock yourselves out. Haha

Reactions: WirelessSmoke
Status
Not open for further replies.