PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2019
Illinois
The best thing to do to minimize your risk of pipe smoking is to not inhale.

So many people think that a filter makes it safe to inhale. I assure you it does not.

A Pipe smoker's life expectancy is better than other tobacco type users because we do not inhale. Well, that and the fact that one just can't help but be chillaxed and in a nearly meditative state while smoking a pipe. To me the benefits to my state of being FAR OUTWEIGH any risk associated with having tobacco smoke in my mouth and occasionally in my nasal cavity.

-Mike Drop- puffy

I agree. With no tobacco use in my past, I have no inclination or natural reflex to inhale at all... I can't imagine how sick it would make me. And, as it pertains to retrohaling, I do not plan to do that very often either. No need to expose mucous membranes to smoke any more than "necessary" to enjoy the hobby.

thanks for the comments

mikey517

Lurker
Jul 27, 2019
NJ
I, too, am a rookie, so take this for what it's worth. I have a few MM cobs with 6mm filters that I've fitted with the Savinelli 6mm reducers. To me, they're about the same with or without. I have a few of the P&C Crown pipes and enjoy them without filters and just the adapters.

Then, about a month ago, after reading the "One Grabow for one year" thread, I bought my first Dr. Grabow - a Riviera quarter bent. I have tried it with the Savinelli adapter, and with no filter at all. This pipe, with the regular Grabow filter, is my absolute favorite combo! It has become my daily go to pipe. The draw is exactly right for me, and the filter gives me a dry smooth smoke.

When I do rest it (after several days) I grab my Grabow Royalton Rustic with a filter. I like it a lot, but the Riviera is my favorite. I hate to use another pipe, even for a day.

Of course, all this is subject to change based on my schizoid personality! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: sandollars

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I smoke about a bowl a day, and mostly I don't use filters, but just as a footnote to this conversation, I sure don't have any prejudice about filter smokers. If I smoked for hours at a time I might reconsider.

Drew72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2019
Illinois
I smoke about a bowl a day, and mostly I don't use filters, but just as a footnote to this conversation, I sure don't have any prejudice about filter smokers. If I smoked for hours at a time I might reconsider.

I am 1-2 bowl per week right now... and that is probably my max going forward. I have seen SOME people kind of turn their nose up at those who use filters... as if they are not "legit" pipe smokers. that kind of reminds me of the days when I rode a Harley and would always wear full protective gear and a bright yellow full-faced helmet for every ride. I got hazed by MANY other riders that that is not the "Harley way."

As with motorcycles or pipes... find out how you enjoy it most and go forward and prosper.

cheers

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I like and use filters on my 6mm and 9mm pipes designed for them, Balsa only and I cut them in half and always throw them away after each use. They keep the pipe and smoke dry. I think that's all they do proficiently. The charcoal filters MAY catch a small amount of tar but the nicotine is free flowing.

The best thing to do to minimize your risk of pipe smoking is to not inhale.

So many people think that a filter makes it safe to inhale. I assure you it does not.

A Pipe smoker's life expectancy is better than other tobacco type users because we do not inhale. Well, that and the fact that one just can't help but be chillaxed and in a nearly meditative state while smoking a pipe. To me the benefits to my state of being FAR OUTWEIGH any risk associated with having tobacco smoke in my mouth and occasionally in my nasal cavity.

-Mike Drop- puffy
FWIW, my preference for filters has nothing to do with reducing the nicotine intake. In my experience, I hardly ever get a nic hit, however mild, from a pipe (though Blockade Runner, Ennerdale, and Warhorse Bar have been exceptions), with or without a filter. I use filters to cut down on tongue burn/bite and moisture, nothing more.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
My only grump, & minor at that, is that my Sav filters are only good for about two bowls worth. IOW, yes, I do l.ike to, though I'm usually smoking a pipe that doesn't take them.

I have seen SOME people kind of turn their nose up at those who use filters... as if they are not "legit" pipe smokers.
I think that this is a problem. You shouldn't see someone's reaction as being a judgement on YOU. I mean... I don't like filters, corn cobs, or most aromatic blends... but that doesn't mean that I look down on others that do.

But, I think that understanding the differences in this comes with age. I mean one day you wake up and other people's opinions won't matter to you anymore. You'll wear whatever hat you want, whatever color socks you want with your sandals, and what others think of your speedos and combover won't mean a thing, and you'll enjoy doing what makes you happy, with not a care in the world what others think of you. Believe me life gets much more fun. puffy

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I've tried balsa filters as well as the paper filters that come in some Missouri Meerschaum cobs. I just tried these filters because some of my pipes came with them. I don't like them, and I think of them as an unhelpful complication to my pipe smoking. I didn't notice much difference one way or the other in the smoking experience of filter vs. no filter.

I understand pipe filters are popular in Europe, so maybe it's at least in part a regional thing, and maybe the benefit of the filter could become more apparent after using them for some time, but I just didn't see the usefulness when I tried them.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I use them for almost every smoke to handle the unwanted moisture. Activated charcoal for 9mm and balsa for 6mm. I have 2 unfiltered pipes for straight virginias.
Knowing that all the nasty wet brown stuff on used filters is going to trash instead of in my mouth makes me happy so I really enjoy them.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
In Germany very strong aromatics are quite popular, so you can still taste them well through a 9mm filter. It certainly mutes the flavors of more nuanced tobaccos.
Ha! What a load of rubbish. It appears BROBS hasn't a clue what he is typing about!

Last edited:
I for one have no clue what I am talking about, for sure, but a speculation (or a question)... most of these thing we are all calling filters, like those paper rings, balsa wood, and those wooden tubes... those aren’t what I’d call a filter, as they don’t really strain the smoke like cotton or those charcoal filters do. They just absorb the moisture as the smoke passes by. Could it be that these just provide more of a gurgle free smoke with less tendency to bite, because of the moisture in the steam? I mean what else do they provide for the smoker?
I can see cotton and charcoal removing tars and such. I’ve seen them after smoking, yuck. But, having tried balsa and those paper tubes... I only get a wet piece of wood or paper with a little ash on it when done. It really doesn’t remove much else that I can see or sense.

Reactions: ontheroadagain

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
Not sure if this really goes here or not... but figure it's worth a mention. I find the Nording 'keystone' filters pretty great. Especially in pipes prone to a bit of gurgle.

They're essentially just little rocks you put in the bottom of your bowl. I don't know how useful they are as an actual 'filter' but I find that they open up the draw and fill the pit of the bowl preventing dampness. They do come out a different shade than they went in... so they are absorbing something.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Nov 6, 2019
By far my favorite tobacco is Mac Baren Symphony. I only smoke this tobacco in a filtered pipe, usually a MM Cob, a neked one at that, and always with a balsa filter. It cuts the dread MacBite! Otherwise, I tend not to use a filter regardless of the pipe or blend I'm smoking...

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
If a pipe comes with a filter I generally use one it, if it doesn't come with a filter then obviously I don't. I think a filter helps me smoke dryer (gurgleless?) and keeps bits of ash and tobacco out of my mouth. When the filter is removed and replaced it is obvious that some crud has been removed. Maybe it reduces tongue bite and probably some tar. I can't say that it changes the flavor all that much. I do prefer the balsa filters but use Medico and Big Ben mainly because they are cheaper. I probably smoke 4 to 8 bowls a day depending on what I'm doing and figure that a filtered smoke might be a good idea.

tenton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 8, 2019
I've done a complete 180° when it comes to filters. Haven't touched a filter pipe since the early days of pipe smoking with cobs and Grabow's, 50 years ago or so. Recently I purchased a 9mm filter pipe as I've been getting kind of a mild rush feeling after smoking, most noticeable when trying to sleep. Recently started filling the bottom of non-filter pipe bowls with activated carbon and it definitely helped, but I think filters is a better way to go. The charcoal filters have pretty much eliminated that feeling, whatever it is, intolerance to nicotine I suppose, while also eliminating tongue bite, so I'm for filter pipes as of now anyway.

Reactions: Mtlpiper and spugni
Status
Not open for further replies.