PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wordheavy

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2019
Southern California
I smoke some pipes with filters, only balsa. I like them, don't notice much if any difference in taste. I also smoke without them, for me just depends on the pipe. Personally think they get a bad rep sometimes by the, "throw it away," crowd. I don't follow crowds, so I use them when I want.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Good stuff, not using crowd think. But I am guessing it's about 50-50 with the pro and agin crowds.

Reminds me that I have got to try some filtering again.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
My manner in regards to filters is that if they came with a pipe, I would use them until I ran out of the supply given. Then I would no longer use filters. I guess, for me, there was minimal positive or negative effect. To me, I always associated them with a pipe being new and my efforts to explore and understand its nuances.

Reactions: saintpeter

wulfheard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2018
New Jersey
I have pipes with and without. I don't really have a huge preference one way or the other. The only filters I use are 9mm. My 6mm pipes all have adapters.

But to be honest, I do tend to smoke pipes without filters more often for the convenience of not having to change the filter. I get about 3 smokes with most of my 9mm filter pipes. Many times half way through the 3rd smoke I need to change the filter because the taste starts to noticeably change and that can be a pain in the ass.

goldenmole

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2019
Copenhagen DK
I smoke only using Vauen 9mm carbon filters (Dr Perl Junior). My first pipe was without filter, but I found all my tobaccos improved considerably with filter, in that they provide consistently cooler, dryer and smoother smokes, and less tongue bite. No serious issues with restricted draw unless I pack too tightly. Not sure nicotine is affected too much (but very low tolerance to N anyway). Overall I feel that most people smoke what is most common in their country (with Germany leading the "filtered" pipe world). I am German, but started smoking in DK (with majority of pipes sold without filter option).

shep

Lurker
Dec 17, 2018
I have both filtered and unfiltered pipes. I predominantly smoke with a filter but I only use the balsa 9mm filters on my pipes that take 9mm. They do not restrict the draw like the barrel filters do. I have several Petersons that take 9mm filters and the balsas work very well.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
I liked the Brigham maple filters if only for the fact they could be rinsed off, dried and reused. Did they do much of anything? ?? in my opinion.

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
I liked the Brigham maple filters if only for the fact they could be rinsed off, dried and reused. Did they do much of anything? ?? in my opinion.

I hadn't seen these filters - they look interesting.

I own only one 9mm filter pipe and I use Big Ben charcoal filters in it. I find that it really depends on the tobacco - some straight Virginias or very light blends end up tasting like nothing but wet clay/cardboard, but with other blends, it doesn't seem to affect the flavour at all. I use my 9mm pipe to smoke anything that burns very hot or wet as it does seem to help with tongue bite and dampness. For anything that the carbon filter affects the flavour of too much, I swap for a balsa as that doesn't seem to hurt the taste.

I've heard people mention that your taste acclimatises or adjusts to the flavours being 'reduced' a little like a hot bath seems cooler as you sit in it.

Reactions: anotherbob

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
In Germany very strong aromatics are quite popular, so you can still taste them well through a 9mm filter. It certainly mutes the flavors of more nuanced tobaccos. The aromatics I do smoke I don't consider incredibly strong in the casing/topping department (well some are but not goopy). If you were to smoke something like Dragon Flake in a non filtered pipe it's almost too aromatic (near insanely so)... however out of a 9mm pipe it's not bad.

So that's my opinion on them! I'd say they definitely catch moisture.. do they catch nicotine or other contaminants? I don't really see how as the smoke just flows around the carbon (which are pencil-lead diameter pellets) so I would think most would just pass by.

Reactions: anotherbob

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
All balsa all the time.
I think I read that balsa can absorb 11 times its own weight in water, and mine are plenty wet when I throw then away (I break them in half and usually only use them once).
Based on what they pick up out of the smoke alone, I'm sure they do provide some health benefit that even further reduces the minor risk associated w pipe smoking.

Reactions: sandollars

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I believe they do. Some of the blends that you can't even get here from Kohlhause and Kopp are insanely juiced.

Try smoking it with a filterpipe! some blends aren't that way but others certainly are over there.. and if the ones you have are highly aromatic I would believe they intended you to use a Vauen filter.

Reactions: hauntedmyst

Drew72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2019
Illinois
I am a rookie... so take this for what it's worth, but I always use 9mm charcoal filters in my 3 pipes that take them and the 6mm filter for my corn cob (mind you... I am just 11 smokes into this whole thing). I have not once had tongue bite, wet pipe, nicotine effect (I have virtually no experience with tobacco prior to pipes, so I would be susceptible to this), or any other maladies that often plague the new smoker. I think the filters do just that... filter moisture, filter tar, and filter nicotine.

I would think that the filters somewhat alter the draw, but then would seem that one just needs to pack his/her tobacco a bit looser? I have found a pretty good sweet spot where I have the "light milkshake" kind of resistance on the draw, which I find suitable for my taste... YMMV.

Cheers
Drew

I am a rookie... I think the filters do just that... filter moisture, filter tar, and filter nicotine.

Cheers
Drew

I like and use filters on my 6mm and 9mm pipes designed for them, Balsa only and I cut them in half and always throw them away after each use. They keep the pipe and smoke dry. I think that's all they do proficiently. The charcoal filters MAY catch a small amount of tar but the nicotine is free flowing.

The best thing to do to minimize your risk of pipe smoking is to not inhale.

So many people think that a filter makes it safe to inhale. I assure you it does not.

A Pipe smoker's life expectancy is better than other tobacco type users because we do not inhale. Well, that and the fact that one just can't help but be chillaxed and in a nearly meditative state while smoking a pipe. To me the benefits to my state of being FAR OUTWEIGH any risk associated with having tobacco smoke in my mouth and occasionally in my nasal cavity.

-Mike Drop- puffy

Reactions: diamondback
Status
Not open for further replies.