PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tabakpfeife

Might Stick Around
Jan 18, 2019
I don't use them, not even with my Vauen. I hate a hard draw, and I really don't care for charcoal filters. The balsa filters draw better, but I don't see the need.

taildraggin

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2019
I like the 9mm mops. I have 7 non and prefer the parabellums. 3-4 bowls/day lately. Don’t care one way or another about nic, gettting enough. mostly strong tobaccos. Can’t tell a diff in draw. Change after every bowl.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Yes, I use 9mm pipes. There have been some Virginia tobaccos that are vastly improved, for me, by the charcoal filters. The vast majority of my pipes, however, are unfiltered. So, any time I try something new, it will go through several different pipes and systems until I find the one that works best with the tobacco and the environment where I am smoking. I have also found that their is variation of draw between different brands of filters. I like Big Ben filters, myself, and I use the balsa filters in my Savinelli’s that take the 6mm ones.

Reactions: vates

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
I like a filtered pipe when I'm walking the dog. I have a few pipes I use for that purpose, a couple of Savinelli's, a Big Ben Barbados, and some MM Cobs. I use the Savinelli balsa filters. I appreciate the freedom of not needing to carry or futz with cleaners, or worry about "juice" as I manage the dog, leash and poop bag. And, I notice no change in taste in my favorite tobaccos, nor any particular restriction in airflow.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I have several pipes that take filters but I've never used them. Two have the adapters and several are just open draw.
I'm OK without filters. Some day, just out of curiosity, I may get around to trying them.
jay-roger.jpg

tenton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 8, 2019
No, I like a pipe with a open draw.
I did smoke a few 6mm paper filter pipes early on, cobs and Grabow's, but never really got on with them and usually smoked them without the filter.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I find the filter pipes I have smoke more enjoyably without the filter in them.

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
I've been smoking for about 4 months, about 8 bowls a day, and I've used a filter once. Too much of a hassle for not enough of a return with the amount that I smoke. If the nic-hit from a blend I like is too strong, I'll pop a sugar cube and just keep packing bowls of it until I build a tolerance.

sandiegosam

Lurker
Jul 8, 2019
I've been smoking pipes on and off for a few decades. I'd never tried a filtered pipe until recently - seemd like an extra unneeded hassle. However, I recently bought a 9mm filtered meerschaum pipe based on the Bremen Piper youtube videos. I prefer the natur (crushed) meerschaum filters. I'm getting a cooler, dryer smoke and I don't notice any change in flavor. And, I feel better about less toxins and nicotine. I'm now looking for new 9mm pipes......

Reactions: Drew72

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
Meerschaum filters in a meerschaum pipe sounds interesting!

One might think that the meerschaum bowl and shank would remove enough moisture that the filter would not

be much of an improvement?

Do the meerschaum filters really remove " toxins and nicotine" meaning do they colour brown and smelly

as much as the charcoal filters, assuming that you have tried both?

How does this affect the colouring of the pipe?

sandiegosam

Lurker
Jul 8, 2019
Yes, Husky, the meerschaum filters do indeed get brown and smelly like the charcoal do (I was using Futeng). I even broke one open after use and all the little meerschaum crumbs had absorbed the gunk. I use one filter per bowl and I don't have any issues.
I suspect my new Rattrays Meer is not block meer so I can't comment on the colouring just yet.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Do the meerschaum filters really remove " toxins and nicotine" meaning do they color brown and smelly

as much as the charcoal filters, assuming that you have tried both?
Yes, they have a strong smell of ammonia and the paper turns brown, and maybe moist depending on the level of moisture in the tobacco. IN meer pipes, since they absorb a lot of the moisture, the filter is less likely to go wet, but I recommend changing the filter every two smokes any way. On larger bowls I may change it after each smoke.

cachimbero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2019
Cordoba, Spain
I am European (Spanish), and I like filterless pipes. As a matter of fact most of The Spanish pipe smokers I know use pipes without filters. I am not sure about the generalisation regarding Europeans and filter pipes. As it is almost impossible to find a non filter pipe in Germany, I would say that Germans are 9mm pipes users by a wide margin. But I am not so sure about Italian, French, British or Danish pipe smokers.

I have a few 9 mm filter pipes that I use without filter or adapter. I like to think about them as mini reverse calabash pipes, since there is a small chamber for the expansion of the smoke. I am just more careful when cleaning them.

Reactions: supperthyme

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
I like to think about them as mini reverse calabash pipes, since there is a small chamber for the expansion of the smoke.

Now that is a thinking man!

And you are correct. Europe is a continent, not a country, and generalization is faulty.

Sep 4, 2019
East TN
Thread Resurrection!!!!

I'm starting to experiment with filters. I have 2 9MM pipes and 1 6mm Sav with the balsa system as well as some 6mm flltered cobs. Now, as a matter of historical fact, I yanked all the filters before I smoked any of them. I assumed filters were for the weak.(joke) But, now I'm interested in comparing the difference. So, I bought some of all of that and loaded up my pipes to see what the difference is. TBD (Cuz I aint smoked em yet)

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
For me, being guilty of not running a pipe cleaner through after use, have twice now found a filter in one of my Savinellis when I went to clean it. I don't believe I smoked much more than 2 or 3 bowls in said pipes without cleaning and therefore changing the filter. Could not tell the difference vs. other pipes that don't allow filters.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
So far I've found that most pipes designed to accommodate a filter of any kind also smoke well without the filter. I can visualize an airway designed for a filter that was otherwise uneven and caused turbulence, but I've never encountered that. Adapters are available for 6 mm and 9 mm filters, and they focus the smoke a little, usually without restricting the airway much. Usually, you can leave the filter out and smoke just fine.

Reactions: Dave4211
Status
Not open for further replies.