Do You Move The Flame Around When Lighting?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

uzzi101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 18, 2019
California, USA
I most definitely move the flame around the bowl, but never use matches. I can see the beauty of using a match but would be frustrated with any wind blowing that sucker out.

I recently moved to 2 charing lights, 2 tamps, and then a 3rd light as my true light. I find this technique works best for me. I’m still a newbie.

Reactions: PipeIT

karibo

Lurker
Jun 4, 2020
London, UK
Yes, I try to get the whole top layer lit - at least for the initial lights. Later on in the bowl when relighting, not so much since it seems to 'take' easier

All the pipesmokers in the house say, "WHOOP!!" Wave that lighter around!!!
Lighters GIF by RockTheOcean - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Haha
Reactions: PipeIT and mau1

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
I am going to be another for moving around when doing the initial charring light, and then only enough fire to get smoke, and flavor after. Not too concerned with having the entire bowl glowing on top, especially with wider chambers. I have been using a lot more matches recently, in part due to my lighter being temperamental. It will be fine for days, and then all of sudden start throwing out a 2 inch flame for no reason...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
And the answer is ... mostly yes! However, if you feel we have further hairs to split, post away. Thank you gents.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
On two subjects; Drying tabac and lighting.

Unless tabac is extremely moist, for me personally, every blend I’ve smoked is more flavorful/rich, when smoked straight from tin.

I use an IM Corona Old Boy, and when I light I try to use as little of flame as possible to get the tabac going, otherwise, for me personally it’s not as flavorful going up in a big ball of ember.

Also if I try to keep tabac lit, it’s not as flavorful for me. I light very minimally, take a few sips to savor it, let the tabac go out, and when the pipe is cool, light minimally again, sip again, same process over and over, and for me, it’s the most flavorful/rich tobacco experience. :)

Since most of my pipes are not huge, I move the flame down and up, down and up, only trying to let the flame come in as little contact as possible, besides moving around.

Peter - CCB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2019
Santa Barbara, CA
www.etsy.com
A bit. Big bowls yeah. If there an area that won’t light, I dumbly figured out after months to tilt the pipe and the angle and the flame will hit an area. Only on the false light really. I don’t want to chat the rim. It’ll all catch up.