Do You Like the Taste of a Really Good Cigar?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ag®o

Lifer
Nov 14, 2021
Italy
If I like cigars .. Yeah, I like them a lot, I come from that way of smoking. If I like cigars or pipes more .. Good question, five years ago I would have unwittingly answered instinctively right away, but not anymore. I find them different. I think of the pipe as creative and stimulating, with its rituals and the possibility of blending (even if an absurd mix will come out, no matter , I enjoyed it), I recover leaves, I make plugs, perique and cavendish, moreover, OMG how many cabbage of tin are there in this world ?! I have been building pipes for about a year, I donated several to friends, the construction phase has a therapeutic effect on me, and the fact of donating them and seeing them used makes me feel very good. So the pipe is a recent and beautiful parenthesis in my life. Returning to the topic, I have a lot of cigars, mainly Cubans, bought in boxs over the years with the rule / consequence "I buy much more than time allows me to smoke", buried and layered in the many coolidors. According to the day, the desire, the mood, and very important to the time available, I fish and smoke. I think there are different types of cigar smokers as well as pipe smokers. Those who have passion, are curious, do not stop learning (unfortunate are those who think they have arrived), and in their modesty collects pieces for their own satisfaction, and those who flaunt to appear. Sometimes I come across social media, I see images of Behike with Rolex on the cuff, I smile and go further. I like to smoke alone, having people around in my moments irritates me, when I'm with friends I light up a Toscano for a casual smoke. Only with a dear friend I spend an evening every now and then discussing the sensations that an equal smoke returns. Apart from Cuban thought, where tobacco tastes of tobacco, the European one is interesting, when a subjective memory deposited in our mind is associated with every aromatic sensation that recalls a food or substance. I have no absolute brand or origin preferences, it is my opinion that the cigars of the new world lose their aromatic charge with the passage of time, so I tend not to buy many at a time and smoke them as soon as possible. I could say that the only preference I have is in the format, I don't like big and jaw-breaking, I prefer the short and long slender, and if there is a pronounced diameter it must be supported by an adequate length. Finally, I'm not really tattooed LOL, except for two tiny ones on my left hand that always remind me of who I am and where I'm from.

Pipesandstuff

Might Stick Around
Aug 9, 2021
Orlando, Fl
Can't speak to Cubans. Desert island cigar is Oliva Master Blends 3 in a robusto or Churchill. It's magic to me every stick. Veer towards stronger cigars, love ligero, but I love the simplicity of a Honduran Punch. Perdomo Lot 23 is another amazing, simple, cheap smoke. Love Cameroons. Normally shy away from Rocky Patels, but his 2003 Cameroon is fantastic. AJ Enclave with a habano seed wrapper is deceptively complex. The Cameroon binder is like the Dude's carpet.

Hampshire Pipes & Cigars

Might Stick Around
Dec 30, 2021
Hampshire UK
I have to say and this is not based on the perception of the cigar knowing the price but whatever Davidoff signature I had just blew me away.
Davidoff top rank all the time! Definitely my number 1 brand of cigars. Always happy to smoke other brands and to explore new tastes - but Davidoff remains firm favourite and has abundance in my humidor. I did live in Basel, Switzerland for 10 yrs where the Davidoff shop was quick and easy to buy from so that helped ?

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Davidoff top rank all the time! Definitely my number 1 brand of cigars. Always happy to smoke other brands and to explore new tastes - but Davidoff remains firm favourite and has abundance in my humidor. I did live in Basel, Switzerland for 10 yrs where the Davidoff shop was quick and easy to buy from so that helped ?
Yep, was there yesterday and picked up some more pleb Toscanos and a tin of MacB Dark Twist Roll Cake :) You mean the shop on marktplatz, right? Later I picked up 50g of Curly Cut Deluxe and a pipe I left for repair at Sven’s shop.
Any clue what these super long thin cigars a lot of Swiss smoke are?

On cigars, still a pleb, smoking one per week, usually on my Sunday evening dog walk. Point about cigars is that for me any cigar tastes like a cigar, I enjoy the taste but that’s it, always prefer the pipe. Tried the MUWAT fire cured, not a bad smoke, quite sweet, chocolatey, but still Toscanos rule the roost for me.

Hampshire Pipes & Cigars

Might Stick Around
Dec 30, 2021
Hampshire UK
Yep, was there yesterday and picked up some more pleb Toscanos and a tin of MacB Dark Twist Roll Cake :) You mean the shop on marktplatz, right? Later I picked up 50g of Curly Cut Deluxe and a pipe I left for repair at Sven’s shop.
Any clue what these super long thin cigars a lot of Swiss smoke are?

On cigars, still a pleb, smoking one per week, usually on my Sunday evening dog walk. Point about cigars is that for me any cigar tastes like a cigar, I enjoy the taste but that’s it, always prefer the pipe. Tried the MUWAT fire cured, not a bad smoke, quite sweet, chocolatey, but still Toscanos rule the roost for me.
Yep, Marktplatz. That’s the one. Great shop. In those days I could pick up 4 No. 2s for £30.
Not sure I know about the thin smokes you mentioned. Maybe cheroots?

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
I come here from the world of cigars. I enjoyed them over the last 20 odd years. Over time they just lost their interest for me.

In the end I was. Cuban smoker because of the better flavor. Had many many boxes and traded them all or sold them off to support my pipes.

I did keep what I consider the best of Cuban cigars. Vegas Robaina and H Upmann.

Hampshire Pipes & Cigars

Might Stick Around
Dec 30, 2021
Hampshire UK
I come here from the world of cigars. I enjoyed them over the last 20 odd years. Over time they just lost their interest for me.

In the end I was. Cuban smoker because of the better flavor. Had many many boxes and traded them all or sold them off to support my pipes.

I did keep what I consider the best of Cuban cigars. Vegas Robaina and H Upmann.
H Upmann are my favourite Cuban, followed by Montecristo. But the new world varieties offer so much more to choose from - size and flavor. Davidoff, Joya de Nicaragua rank my favourites. I don’t think there is anything wrong with trying different varieties. After all - smoking should be fun ?

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
H Upmann are my favourite Cuban, followed by Montecristo. But the new world varieties offer so much more to choose from - size and flavor. Davidoff, Joya de Nicaragua rank my favourites. I don’t think there is anything wrong with trying different varieties. After all - smoking should be fun ?
Agreed. I’m not trying to be pompous. I sold cigars in the late 90s, went through my share of NC cigars. In the end I just preferred the flavor CC had to offer. And they were often cheaper than NC.

AlanH

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
I did avoid using the word "ruminations" in my thread title, ha ha.

But, in another thread, someone had posted that they didn't like the taste of cigars.
This is curious to me. Let us know whether you like a good cigar, and if so, what leaf do you favor?
If you don't like a good cigar, then let us know your favorite pipe tobacco genre?

I am just curious. Plus, it could be fun.

I am partial to Criollo leaf myself, but a good strong ligero or madura can hit the spot. Heck, even a Connecticut wrapper on a hot and sweaty day can hot the spot. But, when it comes to pipe tobaccos, I can range from Virginias, to burley, to latakia... heck almost any pipe tobacco. I just love the taste of tobaccos.

What about you?
When you first posted this I thought "cigars are ok but pipes are amazing" You guys say "taste change" boy is that true! On a whim the other day I bought a couple cigars after talking to the owner of a B&M I had expected to kind of suffer through them I want the ash for pipe mud. Wow was I wrong I loved the Connecticut I had. When Smoking Pipes had there sell I bought several more. Now pipes just are not as good to me ??. I still like the pipe but would rather have a almost any of the Shade Grown I have had.

Hampshire Pipes & Cigars

Might Stick Around
Dec 30, 2021
Hampshire UK
When you first posted this I thought "cigars are ok but pipes are amazing" You guys say "taste change" boy is that true! On a whim the other day I bought a couple cigars after talking to the owner of a B&M I had expected to kind of suffer through them I want the ash for pipe mud. Wow was I wrong I loved the Connecticut I had. When Smoking Pipes had there sell I bought several more. Now pipes just are not as good to me ??. I still like the pipe but would rather have a almost any of the Shade Grown I have had.
Why not share the brand of cigar you enjoyed so much? ??

Reactions: ak2000 and AlanH

SmokeRings79

Can't Leave
Oct 23, 2021
Israel
I smoked some cigars in the past. Tried several brand, leaves and sizes. The only time I have really enjoyed a stick was the last third of a Perdomo Small Batch (2015?). I don't like the black pepper taste in cigars. With pipes I enjoyed most of the blends I've tried, even the more heavy and spicy ones. Maybe I haven't found the right stick for me. I will sure give it another shot.

MRW

Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
I, like many here enjoy a fine cigar in addition to pipe tobacco. My collection of both consists of more than I will ever smoke in my lifetime. I have a large wineador with many wonderful boxes of smokes aging to perfection.

I love my sticks like I love my women, on the larger size. Most of my collection consists of a ring gage of at least 58'. My Padron's are some exceptions.

All are maduro. To apply another euphemism, I like them dark.

AlanH

Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
I, like many here enjoy a fine cigar in addition to pipe tobacco. My collection of both consists of more than I will ever smoke in my lifetime. I have a large wineador with many wonderful boxes of smokes aging to perfection.

I love my sticks like I love my women, on the larger size. Most of my collection consists of a ring gage of at least 58'. My Padron's are some exceptions.

All are maduro. To apply another euphemism, I like them dark.
I want to try the Maduro next. I can not say I prefer one ring gage to another yet I do not want a quick cigar at all the longer the burn the better. ( That might change if I was indulging in a nic heavy stick)

Reactions: ak2000

AlanH

Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
I smoked some cigars in the past. Tried several brand, leaves and sizes. The only time I have really enjoyed a stick was the last third of a Perdomo Small Batch (2015?). I don't like the black pepper taste in cigars. With pipes I enjoyed most of the blends I've tried, even the more heavy and spicy ones. Maybe I haven't found the right stick for me. I will sure give it another shot.
Try shade grown Connecticut they are more cream than pepper! Or do not it might ruin you ??