Do You Like the Taste of a Really Good Cigar?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I do like a cigar now and then, but for the tobacco I like a pipe more. If were talking cigars Cubans are my fix. One downside on cubans is you generally don't know what leaf is in them, only some special editions are clearly defined like Behike from Cohiba which only uses a certain leaf, so you are mostly not able to tell or guess from the leaf content what it tastes like. Not like pipetobacco where you can almost tell on the contents how it will taste. Most cuban brands aspire a certain flavor profile or market; RyJ for a more rosewater/cherry flavor, Partagas some white peppery retro's, Ramon Allones and Bolivar some real bold taste, ErdM and HdM for some more delicate creamy cigars. This also still reflects the power of the Cuban politics on the cigar industry.

For a new world cigar I generally i'm all over the board. Sometimes I like a shade grown CT wrapped cigar which is mild and creamy, where the other day I like a CT broadleaf which taste more like dirt uhhh earth, which still is delicious even if you cant imagine that. Thats what I like on new world cigars; you can check what leaves are in there and make a guess or estimate what they will taste like. This also makes I don't have a favor any leaf over the other as the blend makes them great, just like a blended pipe tobacco. A great wrapper with some none descriptive binder and filler still make a shitty cigar. I do favor a factory, that of the Pepin family in Florida and Nicaragua. They have their own My Father, Don Pepin and Jaime Garcia line, but also roll Tatuaje for Pete Johnson which blends a fantastic stick. If I had to chose I would only buy Pepin rolled cigars.

If you want to learn more on cigar tobacco I suggest you listen or watch the John Oliva interview on Boxpress Podcast (on Spotify) or the Boveda youtube channel. This Oliva (not the same as the cigar rolling Oliva) family moved to Ecuador from the US where they make a large portion of the wrapper leafs for major cigar companies. Really recommended for a crash course on cigar tobacco.

For what's its worth, the verdict "cigars are for posers", for me that couldn't be more far away from the truth. Sure the image is pushed, but I think the vantage point is blurred just because there are about 10 times more cigar smokers (or even more) than pipe smokers. No wonder you think they are, I do think the loudest of them all gather in a cigar lounge, while most enjoy them more from the comfort of their home. I never smoked in a lounge and never will, I like to be left alone while performing the art of tobacco connoisseurism (and yes that sounds snobbish).

Chris81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2021
Malaga, Spain
There are more cigar smokers than pipe smokers because it's much easier and immediate to buy and smoke a cigar than buying a pipe and learn how to smoke it.
Many people here offer cigars in weddings and celebrations so it's something quite common and also related to "postureo" (posing) in my opinion and you will generally find one of these conosseurs in the group, sometimes someone who doesn't know much about cigars ;)
I learnt that smoking cigars is not that different from smoking a pipe, it requires a smilar rythm and patience, at least if you want to smoke it well.
The problem is I can only smoke a cigar when I'm alone or outside because the people around me hate the smell of cigars - in general I think that being a passive cigar smoker is not a great experience either. It's different when you smoke it, it does smell and taste nice, it's a bit like smelling your own farts ;)
It also creates more smoke than a pipe, at least in my experience, so in winter you need more ventilation if you smoke it inside.

Last edited:

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
I enjoy a good cigar. Although, I don’t tend to smoke them as much anymore. Have to be in the right mood and have the time commitment to smoke one as it’s easily a 1.5 to 2 hour journey.

For leaf…I suppose there is a bunch. Corojo, Criollo, Habano, San Andres, Broadleaf Connecticut, Cameroon, Sun Grown, nd…and… haha.

Unlike what seems to be many cigar smokers, I am not a huge fan of Cuban Stix. I do like a Montecristo #4 and an Uhpman short, but I largely find the Cubans to be too mild. I know that’s what draws people to them cause you can chain smoke them without burnout - but, I don’t do many HERFS. I much prefer a good Nicaraguan stick. Even some Honduran are good - Rosallia is a nice stick made by Oscar who makes the “Leaf” cigar. Pepin family does great work and the 2000 Padrons I have plenty of as they age wonderfully.

I also like Warped and Crowned heads as boutique makers…the Skyflower might be one of my favorite smokes. I still have a 2017 box with 7 or 8 left. Then Four Kicks is a wonderfully good smoke - have a few boxes of those - hated them at first, but in time grew to really enjoy them. Jericho Hill is another one and the JD Howard single action is also nice. Pete Johnson is also pretty masterful at the craft and many of his smokes are great - Tatuaje is his “big” brand I suppose. But, the Animal Crackers are just amazing little smokes! Surrogates get to be pretty strong smokes. Speaking of strong - I almost forgot a mention of Crux…they make a Guild that is out of this world - must be the robusto though…rest don’t taste near as good to me.

Cigar size does matter as it influences ratios of filler, binder and wrapper. So, Corona, petit corona and robusto are primarily sizes I would go for. Although, plenty of good toros and other sizes out there.

If I had a top 5 for cigars… no particular order…
Four Kicks, Flor Des Las Antilles, Sky Flower, Jericho Hill, Norteno.

Then the honorable mentions: Padron, Herrea Esteli, Illusione, Guild, Pork Chop, Animal Cracker, My Father, Jose Garcia, Don Pepin Blue, Rosalilla, Rocky Patel Sun Grown (original red label), Las Mareanas, Papas Fritas, T52…and I’m sure there are more I enjoy I am not mentioning.

More than I intended to write I guess… oh well. Time for a pipe.

For cigars I like maduro wrapped with medium to full body. Artuo Fuente was my go to back in the 90s with a Partagas or Royal Honduran once in a while. I currently have a variery of Fuentes, Padron, Quesada, Room101, Leaf, Le Bijou 1922, Partagas, Romeo y Julieta and a couple Kentucky Cheroots in my possession. I Love a gar and a Rye or a Manhattan or Brooklyn, or Old fashion of sorts. Being an immature piper, I prefer a cigar to a pipe for the lack of bite and ease of smoke. That said when I hit it right with a pipe, by that I mean I did my job packing and keeping the smoke cool to avoid bite, the pipe wins hands down for me on flavors. My wife also prefers the pipe aroma as do I. - peace

• Love
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

Hampshire Pipes & Cigars

Might Stick Around
Dec 30, 2021
Hampshire UK
For cigars I like maduro wrapped with medium to full body. Artuo Fuente was my go to back in the 90s with a Partagas or Royal Honduran once in a while. I currently have a variery of Fuentes, Padron, Quesada, Room101, Leaf, Le Bijou 1922, Partagas, Romeo y Julieta and a couple Kentucky Cheroots in my possession. I Love a gar and a Rye or a Manhattan or Brooklyn, or Old fashion of sorts. Being an immature piper, I prefer a cigar to a pipe for the lack of bite and ease of smoke. That said when I hit it right with a pipe, by that I mean I did my job packing and keeping the smoke cool to avoid bite, the pipe wins hands down for me on flavors. My wife also prefers the pipe aroma as do I. - peace
absolutely agree with you! Maduro wrappers have rapidly become my number 1 favourite. Spent most of last year smoking maduros from Joya de Nicaragua as well as my all time favourite Davidoff who now produce a fine range of Maduros in various vitolas.

Frasermac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2020
Good thread!
I adore cigars!!!!
I’ve enjoyed an occasional cigar, typically once a month, since the 80’s.
When I started it was only Cubans here in the UK but the last 10-15yrs has really seen an explosion in the range of Nicaraguan, Dominican etc cigars available here.
I don’t have a particular leaf or brand. Indeed, a huge part of the joy of cigars and pipes is the huge variety of blends. Something for every occasion. That said, I do have a few “go to’s”….
Cuban; HdM Epicure No2
RyJ Wide Churchill, Partagas D4, Ramon Allones Specially Selected, Trinidad Vigia
Non-Cuban; Oliva (especially Serie G), JdN, Davidoff Late Hour, Brickhouse, Liga Privada…..

The big problem now is the price of cigars! I can buy 25g of tobacco for the cost of one typical robusto (or half a Cuban robusto!!!!!!) With a family etc it’s not an option to smoke cigars regularly.8D6AFA81-6237-40D5-B5FD-CD38BA18481A.jpeg

I like a good cigar ?

Regarding the stereotypes of cigar smokers - I have seen these types only in Facebook and Instagram. While I have not met a lot of cigar smokers in real life, the very few I met were dressed conservatively (dress shirt / pants , often with glasses, looked like a respectable professor / corporate employee)

But then I met cigar smokers mainly in a cigar shop near Princeton University and in Manhattan business district

I like a good cigar ?

Regarding the stereotypes of cigar smokers - I have seen these types only in Facebook and Instagram. While I have not met a lot of cigar smokers in real life, the very few I met were dressed conservatively (dress shirt / pants , often with glasses, looked like a respectable professor / corporate employee)

But then I met cigar smokers mainly in a cigar shop near Princeton University and in Manhattan business district
Yeh, bikers don’t particularly gather in Manhattan, ha ha. Here, Harley Davidson has become the world’s largest CosPlay, with doctors, lawyers, and businessmen playing gangster on weekends. We even now have a police bike gang with their f’n hang out newly set up next to that cigar bar I mentioned in the OP. Believe it or not, the police are called because of fighting, drunken disorderly, and drugs on that police gang more than any other gang.

I’ve developed no respect for bikers. Forgive me if bikers on here read this. But, why not at least try to be original?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I was a cigar smoker twenty years before picking up a pipe.

A friend introduced me to Fuente 8-5-8's and the rest was history. Egged on by Lew Rothman and his fantastic JR Cigar catalog, I bought a wide variety of cigars from dirt cheap short fillers (loved those little Viliger Exports and Henry Clays) to the Ashtons and El Reys. Lew was such a salesman that he could flat out tell you that a cigar was a stinking dog rocket, but at $7 a box, it's a fantastic deal, and you'd buy them all. He could sell bikinis to Eskimos. Of course, a box of 8-5-8's was $29 bux then, so "cheap" and "expensive" is relative. Then the Cigar Boom came along, quality went to hell, and I stopped buying. I smoked my way through most of my reserves, then started building them back up in 2003. It seems like every five years or so since then, I go on a buying spree. So I have a nice array of well-aged cigars to smoke at this point.

I agree with @tobefrank and love the Oliva Serie V Melanio. Splendid seegars. But I also love the New Cuba and Puros Indios cheapies, too. Maduro, double Maduro, Connecticut Shade, Habana, I love 'em all. Variety is the spice of life. Those linear brained snobs who have to tell you that they only smoke the best are, in the end, the real losers.

IMG_2293.jpg
The Igloodor

IMG_2295.jpg
Some recent acquisitions in overflow mode

IMG_2296.jpg
The Ready Position

IMG_2299.jpg

Last edited:

A friend introduced me to Fuente 8-5-8's and the rest was history. Egged on by Lew Rothman and his fantastic JR Cigar catalog, I bought a wide variety of cigars from dirt cheap short fillers (loved those little Viliger Exports and Henry Clays) to the Ashtons and El Reys. Lew was such a salesman that he could flat out tell you that a cigar was a stinking dog rocket, but at $7 a box, it's a fantastic deal, and you'd buy them all. He could sell bikinis to Eskimos. Of course, a box of 8-5-8's was $29 bux then, so "cheap" and "expensive" is relative. Then the Cigar Boom came along, quality went to hell, and I stopped buying. I smoked my way through most of my reserves, then started building them back up in 2003. It seems like every five years or so since then, I go on a buying spree. So I have a nice array of well-aged cigars to smoke at this point.

I agree with @tobefrank and love the Oliva Serie V Melanio. Splendid seegars. But I also love the New Cuba and Puros Indios cheapies, too. Maduro, double Maduro, Connecticut Shade, Habana, I love 'em all. Variety is the spice of life. Those linear brained snobs who have to tell you that they only smoke the best are, in the end, the real losers.

View attachment 118945
The Igloodor

View attachment 118947

View attachment 118948
The Ready Position

View attachment 118949
I love that humidor!!

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
Igl

A friend introduced me to Fuente 8-5-8's and the rest was history. Egged on by Lew Rothman and his fantastic JR Cigar catalog, I bought a wide variety of cigars from dirt cheap short fillers (loved those little Viliger Exports and Henry Clays) to the Ashtons and El Reys. Lew was such a salesman that he could flat out tell you that a cigar was a stinking dog rocket, but at $7 a box, it's a fantastic deal, and you'd buy them all. He could sell bikinis to Eskimos. Of course, a box of 8-5-8's was $29 bux then, so "cheap" and "expensive" is relative. Then the Cigar Boom came along quality went to hell, and I stopped buying. I smoked my way through most of my reserves, then started building them back up in 2003. It seems like every five years or so since then, I go on a buying spree. So I have a nice array of well-aged cigars to smoke at this point.

View attachment 118945
The Igloodor

View attachment 118947

View attachment 118948
The Ready Position

View attachment 118949
Nice igloodor.

Reactions: woodsroad

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I love that humidor!!
Which one?
The Igloodor is great because I lose stuff in it. So it's Christmas every time I go fishing in there. I got the glass panel humidor five years ago at a Cigars International yard sale for $5. I added a small computer fan in the bottom and a good quality digital hygrometer. I plan to add an ultrasonic humidifier to it.

61tDo23eNtL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

• Haha