PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
When I first started I left them on on all my pipes for a year or two, because they were such a pain to get on and off. They tend to protect the stem, so that the spots they cover will be less oxidized. The creases at the buttons may still get dull if you slobber a lot.

I now use the softer, more pliable, silicone ones from eBay, which are easily removed after each smoke

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I got a nice pipe and was sad to see how after one smoke the stem had teeth marks on it. I think I’ll either use softy’s or simply refrain from clenching on the pipe when smoking
That was why I started using them. I'm not much of a clencher, but it doesn't take much to start putting some use marks on stems.
When I first started I left them on on all my pipes for a year or two, because they were such a pain to get on and off. They tend to protect the stem, so that the spots they cover will be less oxidized. The creases at the buttons may still get dull if you slobber a lot.

I now use the softer, more pliable, silicone ones from eBay, which are easily removed after each smoke

Yo, @mingc do you have a link for those bits you mention here? Thanks!

Reactions: turbomunkey

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
That was why I started using them. I'm not much of a clencher, but it doesn't take much to start putting some use marks on stems.

Yo, @mingc do you have a link for those bits you mention here? Thanks!
Here's some on eBay. For some reason, that was the only offering I could find. They were lots more a few years back. They came in 2 sizes and in black or clear silicone. A COVID related supply issue maybe?

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
I leave them on semi-permanently. I re-wax the stem if ever I change them. They get a little crusty on the sides, and I scrape it with my fingernail.

I quit smoking for around 10 years. It wasn’t a conscious decision, I just didn’t have time and had other things going. So, my softy’s stayed on the pipes all those years. They seem fine.

turbomunkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2021
Chicago, IL
Here's some on eBay. For some reason, that was the only offering I could find. They were lots more a few years back. They came in 2 sizes and in black or clear silicone. A COVID related supply issue maybe?
Sucks to those. I went and got the softy brand, made in the United States. They seem to be good quality and priced perfectly reasonably. In my opinion.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
Reactions: jpmcwjr

turbomunkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2021
Chicago, IL
These: Softy bits, the original soft tobacco pipe stem protector. USA MADE - https://softybits.com/? I just found out about them today. They don't have the unnecessary extra thickness at the end and look promising. Are they rubber or silicone?

[D'oh, the site itself says rubber].
Yes a propriety rubber. I’ve only installed one thus far, on my savinelli author which has a very wide mouth piece on the stem and it initially the softy did not want to get on there. Being a mechanic by trade, I put a little lube (saliva) on the mouth piece and it slid on easily and fits like a glove. I will try one on a different pipe tonight perhaps, but so far so good.

Reactions: mingc and keith929
Status
Not open for further replies.