Do You Have A Set Criteria For Choosing A Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I only buy classic shapes. No reverse calabash double acorn snail nautilus pipes for me.

Also I generally only buy estate pipes. I've purchased new pipes before but generally I just don't see the point. Pipes were meant to last several lifetimes if properly cared for and an appreciation of their history is an important factor for me.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I go where the wind takes me. As long as it’s not a nosewarmer or bulldog I’m easy.
I've seen you post this.. why the bulldog hate?
They are some of the best smoking pipes and are representative of early 20th century pipesmoking IMO!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I just choose based on the look I enjoy that current moment. I just don't do vulcanite stems. I'm all for trying something new. I'm an impulse buyer most of the time.

Reactions: BROBS

Dissident_Mantis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2020
I have been in the pipe smoking hobby for about 6 years now and I am just starting to develop my style. I find it interesting that in the 20's pipes were not just the preferred form of tobacco consumption, but for many men they were also a fashion accessory and they would often put the pipe in their mouth and look in a mirror as part of their pipe purchasing ritual.

That being said, I have found that I love the way a short and stubby poker, Devil Anse, and Rhodesian or (devil dog) look hanging out of my mouth. I gravitate towards these pipes now. I am also short around 5'9" and stubby myself since I have very wide shoulders and a muscular build. I feel like this type of pipe fits me. I wonder if any of you use this type of thought process when purchasing pipes.

I am also short around 5'9"
Where on earth is 5'9" short? Do you live in Norway or something? Ha ha. I am 5'10" and I think that is about average.

And, yes, I do think about how it makes me look... ummm, or my wife does for me., she is quick to point out of a pipe is unflattering.

At the Briary we used to have this guy over 6 feet and huge features, who would set there and quietly read and smoke this little bity bent pipe that he made look like a toy. It was just way too small for him.
And, one time there was also a small little guy with a long 70's mustache that would smoke these huge Ser Jacapos. It was very surreal.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I have been in the pipe smoking hobby for about 6 years now and I am just starting to develop my style. I find it interesting that in the 20's pipes were not just the preferred form of tobacco consumption, but for many men they were also a fashion accessory and they would often put the pipe in their mouth and look in a mirror as part of their pipe purchasing ritual.

That being said, I have found that I love the way a short and stubby poker, Devil Anse, and Rhodesian or (devil dog) look hanging out of my mouth. I gravitate towards these pipes now. I am also short around 5'9" and stubby myself since I have very wide shoulders and a muscular build. I feel like this type of pipe fits me. I wonder if any of you use this type of thought process when purchasing pipes.
16588?

• Haha
Reactions: Dissident_Mantis

Dissident_Mantis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2020
Where on earth is 5'9" short? Do you live in Norway or something? Ha ha. I am 5'10" and I think that is about average.

Well Chicago can feel like Norway sometimes haha. I am from New Jersey originally, quite tall compared to my Italian side of the family there. My great grandfather from Sicily was 5'2". My other half is from Cuba, my grandfather from there was 6'4" so I am glad those genes evened out.

Last edited:

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I like Rhodesians. Less sharp angles
I also own no Rhodesians, I am not a fan of their aesthetics either, but much prefer them to the look of a Bulldog, especially the more artisan varieties that do not have the rings carved in them. I also own no pipes with any rings carved in them, which is part (but certainly not all) of what I despise about the look of the Bulldog pipe.

Reactions: Dissident_Mantis

Dissident_Mantis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2020
I love Cecil Rhodes, he was a pretty amazing guy. It's honestly part of the reason why I enjoy the pipe shape. I am interested in British Imperialism, it's a fun part of history IMHO and filled with tobacco, adventure and manifest destiny. I know most will disagree, but there's a reason why I have "dissident" in my name.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
From reading all the responses it seems like many of us have some strict criteria for buying our pipes.
One thing I am also particular about it the shape of pipes I buy. I really go for classic shapes. Billiards, Dublins, Apple's, Rhodesians, Brandy's make up most of my collection. I guess I could be called boring in my choices but I like what I like.

Reactions: whsergent
Status
Not open for further replies.