Do You Have A Set Criteria For Choosing A Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I definitely have specifications for the pipes I purchase. I like 6 inches and under, less than 30 grams, with a chamber about an inch and a half deep and between 18-20mm wide. Although, my Cooke and Roush do not fit all of these, as I do make exceptions from time to time.

Spa32

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2019
Wisconsin, USA
I have a strict criteria for choosing my pipes. I want my pipes to be a certain length, a certain bowl height, a certain inside bowl width, a certain bowl depth and a certain weight. I will not buy a pipe that does not meet all of these criteria. I am also very picky as to how the stem is made out of high quality German vulcanite. Does anyone also have these exact criteria for choosing their pipes or are you more willy nilly in your choices?
First, it has to be a Savinelli. Second, it has to be either sandblasted or rusticated. Third, the chamber can be no more than .85 and the chamber depth no more than 1.8. I prefer Acrylic but if the pipe appeals to me I will make an exception. The overall length has to be over 5". Also, I prefer unfiltered.

Reactions: whsergent

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
Length between 5.2-6.5"
Bowl height 1.4-2"
Bowl Diameter 0.68-078"

Weight under 37 gr. The lighter the better. My favorites are all under 28 gr. I have some pretty larger pipes, and I just never smoke them. I must be in the minority, because most pipes are all heavier than I will consider.

Not required, but I love a pipe that will sit. Those old Dunhill flat oval shanks are awesome. I love cuttys, and I have worked on the foot on most of them so that they will sit without falling.

I love pretty smooth birdseye grain, but I seem to only smoke the blasts. The craggier the better.

I don't get too specific on buttons, slots, stems, airways, because I usually rework them. It has to pass a tapered cleaner. Airways 5/32 or 9/64, depending on the shank. Stem needs to be good for clenching. Thin and flat, although my Vintage Ropp horn stem is almost round, and it clenches pretty darn well.

I'll buy vulcanite or acrylic stems. Vulcanite clenches better, but oiling stems and polishing gets old.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
easy. peterson, new pipe, silver band, and the grain has to catch my eyes. used to be all smooth, but lately purchased some rusticated and sandblasted for taking to microbreweries. don't like gimmicky pipes, but fell for christmas pipe last year. dimensions doesn't really matter. i can find use for all size.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I'm all over the chart, being that I'm still somewhat in learning mode.

Although I feel I have all I need, one or two creep in periodically.

Mostly traditional shapes and colors, few small pipes.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
Length greater than 5.5 inches. Bowl depth greater than 1.5 inches. Bore diameter around .80 inches. Weight under 1.5 ounces. No matter how interesting the pipe, if it doesn't meet these specifications, I probably won't like it. However, I have some Pokers that are shorter than this and they're great, and I have some pencil shanks that are longer and they're great. But, it those two cases they're made by very talented craftsman (persons).

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
Right now I'm perfectly comfortable with Stanwell models 51 and 29.
Medium sized billiards in a smooth danish design. Good smokers, easy to clean, not too expensive.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I'm always gravitating to Billiards, 5.25-6" in length. Everything I own so far has an acrylic stem, however I have a Savinelli Bing in the mail that apparently has an Ebonite stem, which I was unaware of at the time of purchase. I though that line all had acrylic, but apparently only the rusticated ones do. It'll be my first experience with Ebonite, so we'll see. I have been eyeing a lovat and bulldog as well.

lawdogspipes

Might Stick Around
May 19, 2010
My criteria:

1. Do I like how it looks? Proceed to step 2
  2. Do I think i can restore it? Proceed to step 3
  3. Can I afford it? Proceed to step 4
  4. Buy it.
What Mike said pretty much sums it up for me too. If a new pipe...if has to catch my eye...hard to explain this... kinda one of those things that I know it when I see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.