Do You Have a Lakeland Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Do you have a dedicated Lakeland pipe or pipes?

• Yes, one or more dedicated to types of Lakelands

Votes: 56 75.7%
  • No, Lakelands go in any pipe

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • No, I will not pollute my pipes with Lakeland sauce

Votes: 9 12.2%

• Total voters

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I guess I’m surprised that 9 people will use any pipe! But for some, the ghost is welcome, and for others, the ghost is unnoticed.

Reactions: weezell

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I have a general purpose Lakeland pipe which I use for Dark Flake Scented and Bob's, though Bob's is nowhere near as strong, and a 1792 dedicated pipe. The greatness that is 1792 must not be adulterated with anything else.

Reactions: Ahi Ka and paulfg

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I have a general purpose Lakeland pipe which I use for Dark Flake Scented and Bob's, though Bob's is nowhere near as strong, and a 1792 dedicated pipe. The greatness that is 1792 must not be adulterated with anything else.
The Loewes I mentioned in my previous post and a Peterson 03 spigot are dedicated to 1792 solely

Reactions: Ahi Ka

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Lakeland blends, otherwise known as those piece of sh*t blends that are so full of their toppings that there's no tasting the tobacco, made by those hideously misguided Lakeland Houses, that is SG and GH, that ghost so badly that they ruin the pipes of their incineration, are so called because the aforementioned houses are in the Lakeland District.

This is often the tone taken on the forums when these blends are bashed. The truth is that any ghost can be overcome, in a variety of ways, the simplest smoking them away. That these blends are no better or worse than any other blend, but that by their flamboyant toppings, they are different. That SG and GH could give a flip what you think about their products, and that will continue to go about their work as they have for a century or two. That from the standpoint of taste their point is not the tobacco but the topping. That those who claim that they can taste a "quality VA" as the substrate are full of it, as the tobacco is fully overrun by the topping.

If you want to know the truth of these blends, smoke them and develop your own opinions in the smoke.

Reactions: RookieGuy

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
I was also lead to believe from the interwebs that many tobaccos improve being smoked out of the same pipe repeatedly. Maybe not improved, but smoking the ghost with the ghosting agent I'm told by internet strangers will allow you to pick up more hidden flavors.

So, um, it's not out of fear of ghosts which leads me to dedicating a pipe to Ennerdale. No, it's respect for the blenders art. Yeah, that's what I'm doing!

Reactions: Mtlpiper and Casual

justscience

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2013
Upper Midwestern USA
I have a few ebay pipes that were ghosted when I bought them 20 years ago and still retain a dainty scent which I smell but don't taste. I smoke BCF in one and that's as deep in the Lake as I'll wade.
A bit off topic, but I have to vent:
The only problem ghosted pipe I own is a beautiful Pete meer that must have gotten pepper sprayed real thick by riot police before I got it. You perique guys! Baking it while filled with charcoal only made it worse. It has a half life similar to plutonium. It appends a -per on anything smoked in it. Examples: 1Q-per, captain black grape-per, Penzance-per. Codger Bur-per. Probably ennerdale would combine forces and create a plague that would jump to other pipes.. Damn ghost. Thanks, I feel better.

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
I have a few that are dedicated to Lakelands and all are small bowled pipes. I enjoy a bunch of Lakeland blends but like them as relatively shorter smokes

Reactions: Casual