Do You Have a Lakeland Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Do you have a dedicated Lakeland pipe or pipes?

• Yes, one or more dedicated to types of Lakelands

Votes: 56 75.7%
  • No, Lakelands go in any pipe

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • No, I will not pollute my pipes with Lakeland sauce

Votes: 9 12.2%

• Total voters

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't smoke Lakelands much, and I doubt I'd smoke the aromatic blends. I was given a tin of Brown Sugar Flake by a member, which is an elegant Virginia flake, but you can't get it here in the U.S. much. I don't designate any pipes at this point, since I'm not enticed by Lakeland aromatics. Everything else goes in whatever pipe I'm in the mood to smoke. Since I have a wide rotation, and swipe out the chamber with a paper towel after each smoke, I don't designate. This also keeps the chambers the original size and obviates reaming. I don't own a reamer.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I unfortunately have not yet sampled a LakeLand pipe tobacco (truth be told, I have never heard of it till reading this thread..... so I will have to search through the forums to find out about the brand).

It’s a strange term. Sometimes it seems to mean tobacco brands made in the Lake district of England, of which I think there may now just be Sam Gawith and Gawith Hoggarth & Co. But moreso, it seems to refer just to their blends that have some “Lakeland essence,” which can be one of a number of floral-ish or perfumey toppings. It doesn’t even seem to be just one topping, but more of a family. Apparently Ennerdale is the poster child of this style.

I may have gotten some or all of that wrong.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
It’s a strange term. Sometimes it seems to mean tobacco brands made in the Lake district of England, of which I think there may now just be Sam Gawith and Gawith Hoggarth & Co. But moreso, it seems to refer just to their blends that have some “Lakeland essence,” which can be one of a number of floral-ish or perfumey toppings. It doesn’t even seem to be just one topping, but more of a family. Apparently Ennerdale is the poster child of this style.

I may have gotten some or all of that wrong.
you have actually "got it" unlike some who say i dont like lakelands without realising it is either a tobacco produced in Kendal in the Lake District UK or the floral topped tobaccos produced by Gawith Hoggarth & Sam Gawith

There is more than 1 topping in the Lakeland style and also non floral topped ones produced in Kendal

B.Lew

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2020
SE Michigan
For the most part, the only line I draw with my pipes relates to Latakia.
Maybe my palate is less refined, but I will smoke Lakeland in many of my pipes and do not notice much when switching to a non-Lakeland blend.
Could be partly due to the fact that I really like Lakeland. So if I do detect a ghost, it’s a happy ghost. An appreciated ghost. The ghost, with the most I may say.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Yes, I have one Briar and one Cobb I smoke Lakelands out of. The briar is for Ennerdale and blends with that sort of sauce, the briar is for stronger blends such as rum flake. The lighter dressed blends get smoked out of a va/VaPer pipe.

Which leads me to a follow up question: For those of you who have 4-5 Lakeland pipes, how do you divide those among the blends?
Odd distinction. I only smoke ennerdale in a cob, but I smoke rum flake in any pipe. I never thought of rum flake as a ghoster. Is your batch of rum flake really floral, (I've heard people say they've received batches that are) or are you saying stronger as in a stronger tobacco and not topping?

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Odd distinction. I only smoke ennerdale in a cob, but I smoke rum flake in any pipe. I never thought of rum flake as a ghoster. Is your batch of rum flake really floral, (I've heard people say they've received batches that are) or are you saying stronger as in a stronger tobacco and not topping?
good question,I too wouldnt regard Rum Flake as floral and doesnt normally ghost

Reactions: weezell

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
You're right. I mistyped. I smoke Ennerdale, and any of the sweet Lakelands out of the briar, and strong scented ones such as a Dark flake scented etc., Bosun, Conniston in the cob. I usually smoke rum flake out of whatever is lying around.