PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
No more labels. They have colored tiles that are part of the individual cubes now.

Er, now in slow motion, please?? ?

Collecting, restoring, honing, and using Straight Razors.

I also collect natural sharpening stones Such as Jnats, thuringians, coticules, Arkansas, Washita, etc
So, you're the man to talk when it comes to sharpening all kinds of knives? ?

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
Have you checked out badgerandblade.com?

Yes I have. Along with sharprazorpalace.com they are wonderful resources for someone starting out.

Kozeman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2020
Woodstock, Illinois
My hobbies include making miniature knives, watchmaking, carving hobo nickels and dabbling in glass blowing for marble making. I might not be good at any one hobby, but I figure if I can keep at any of them long enough, one of them might start to look good.
You did a really nice job on that knife's grind. I've dabble in knife making in the past but couldn't get such a nice flow of the lines like you have on this piece. Well done.

Reactions: ThreeRivers

Kozeman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2020
Woodstock, Illinois
No more labels. They have colored tiles that are part of the individual cubes now.

I was a bit crazy with the this back in high school. I bought a book that showed how to recognize patterns and then use sequences to move forward to the next recognizable sequence. Once I managed to pull it off, then it was all about speed. I disassembled my cube, finish sanded and graphite coated all the surfaces so that the cubes practically slide around on their own. My best time was 27 seconds. 35 years later I can't remember shit about how to do it.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I started building a Fleischmann HO German model railroad layout a few years ago. It's a very slow process because I have it in a room in the garage without heat or ac. Not much progress in the summer or winter. The plan is to put in heat and ac, but that's at the bottom of the "to do" list.
On a slightly smaller scale I started building a Märklin Z scale layout a few years ago; progress has been slow although a I got in a few periods of concerted effort without distractions and annoyances (i.e. work). Of course now is a great time to be working on it except all of the layout, rolling stock, materials etc are stuck in a shipping container (along with all our other stuff) in Sydney and I can't see it arriving in São Paulo for several months given the current situation.

Although the main layout is still work in progress I did complete this winter one in an equipment case in time for last Christmas:
Photo 15-12-18, 17 05 17.jpg

I also collect wristwatches (nothing particularly expensive; just ones I like).

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I grew up playing traditional music in Tennessee, and I still do quite a bit of that. Though now grad school is over, I have a little more time and money, so I’m taking violin lessons and playing the classical repertoire.

I also run (mostly trail marathons), play the piano with my wife, and read a lot. A Little Rock climbing when the weather permits. Pretty normal stuff I guess.

Reactions: Pierre1965

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
My 1979 MGB gets exercised as often as possible. I rebuilt the top end of the motor this winter with some mild performance upgrades (head/carbs)

View attachment 25713

View attachment 25714
I knew a guy whos an MG nut; he had at least 4 that I know of. He's also 6'5" and about 260lbs. It was always fun watching him fold himself into the drivers seat. He was also a genius at keeping the carbs in sync. They are cool looking cars!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This crew is too talented for me. Building a plane? Micro images of minerals? I have interests and enthusiasms more than actual hobbies and activities, by in large. The culture and design of automobiles rather than changing out the valve covers. A fascination with the correlation of the brain activity of mathematics with its ability to predict events in the outer world, despite my barely passing h.s. algebra. Fascination with retailing in terms of anthropological patterns; I sometimes know more about the inventory of a store than the staff, and can find items they "don't have." Various dimensions of science, as well as the politics and culture of science. I'm curious, nosy, restless, both tactful and standoffish, and probably something of a pain in the ass. I'm intrigued with the ways to bring together all of these interests in various kinds of writing, which generally results in much more enthusiasm from me than other people, although parts of it provided a living for decades. Like one of our cats, kind of dreamy, a little resentful, affectionate and preoccupied.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Same here, but I wouldn't say it's a hobby. Frankly I'm surprised I have time for anything else!

Have you checked out badgerandblade.com?

Hahaha, yeah didn’t mean to imply it was a hobby, but rather that it gobbles up most of the time that would otherwise be spent on the hobbies I listed above.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Kids are work, but also transcendence, the heights of boredom for adults and excitement. If you don't have hobbies, kids will bring you theirs.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
On a slightly smaller scale I started building a Märklin Z scale layout a few years ago; progress has been slow although a I got in a few periods of concerted effort without distractions and annoyances (i.e. work). Of course now is a great time to be working on it except all of the layout, rolling stock, materials etc are stuck in a shipping container (along with all our other stuff) in Sydney and I can't see it arriving in São Paulo for several months given the current situation.

Although the main layout is still work in progress I did complete this winter one in an equipment case in time for last Christmas:
View attachment 25985

I also collect wristwatches (nothing particularly expensive; just ones I like).
Very nice! Sometimes I wish I would of gone with Z or N scale. I have room in the house for a decent Z or N layout...HO not so much, had to go to the room in garage. It's a great hobby when you have the time and money.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I do love to sharpen things. ??
Ever sharpened one of these?

Don-Carlos-halbmond-1000_600x600.jpg

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
My non pipe hobbies are woodworking and restoring old tools. I don't know if I'd consider motorcycling as a hobby; for me it's a big part of my life. I got my first motorcycle in 1983 and since I've ridden in 37 states and 6 countries. When I retire my goal is to do the Ultimate Coast to Coast challenge (Key West to Deadhorse)
Very nice! Sometimes I wish I would of gone with Z or N scale. I have room in the house for a decent Z or N layout...HO not so much, had to go to the room in garage. It's a great hobby when you have the time and money.
I had a coworker years ago that had a very elaborate HO set up on two or three sheets of plywood that he could raise or lower from the ceiling in his garage.

Reactions: timelord and scloyd
Status
Not open for further replies.