Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AKinser79

Might Stick Around
Aug 3, 2021
Central Florida
No. Some bowls are exquisite, some are great, some are okay, and some are terrible. The terrible ones are caused by a few factors.

1. Breaking in a new pipe. I primarily smoke cobs and as such they are almost always nude. Until a decent layer of char develops on the internal shank and bowl walls I get a burnt wood flavor with them. Goes away after about four or five smokes.

2. Smoking a non-latakia blend in a latakia pipe. I like latakia--a lot--but I don't care for ghosting, which latakia can do sometimes. As such I have pipes that I smoke English/Balkans out of, and pipes I smoke everything that doesn't contain latakia out of.

3. Smoking the wrong type of tobacco in the wrong kind of weather. I love my English and Balkan blends. I don't love them so much when it is 150 F outside with 456% humidity and I have to smoke outside. Unfortunately hot and sticky weather is common to FL and I often smoke outside so I do smoke a wide variety of burley, Burley/VA, VA and VA/Per blends. These seem to be less bothersome when it is hot outside.

4. Smoking a tobacco I just don't like. I like trying all different kinds of tobacco. I like writing up reviews for tobaccos. However, some tobaccos, I just don't like. When writing a review I always try to give a tobacco a fair shot; I never write based on the first bowl--some tobaccos have a learning curve. So I need to smoke something a minimum of five or six times before I will write a review.

5. Smoking a pipe that is dirty or hasn't had a rest. I don't like smoking from a dirty pipe. I find that if I smoke bowl after bowl of anything from the same pipe I don't care for that either. In general I try to give my pipes a minimum of a day's rest and will smoke from various pipes in a day. I also regularly clean my pipes, sometimes with ethanol (I prefer white lightning, though any neutral white spirit will do the job) but mostly without. Regardless once the pipe has been cleaned it is rested a minimum of one day.

To ensure that user error doesn't cause problem 5 organization is key and I have a pipe rack that holds only pipes that have been cleaned and are resting.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Definitely not haha!

- tobacco too moist
- trying one of those pipes that’s been in the box for too long, so I want to give it some love and soon remember why I don’t smoke it as much as my cobs
- sometimes I’ll make up a blend that isn’t the greatest, more so with my first experiments I’ve had some epic fails, but I can always make something enjoyable these days.
- sometimes a piece of tobacco gets caught in the airway and I don’t really notice until I dump the bowl.

These are all pretty preventable things though and most of the time it’s all dandy. I don’t really have many of the horrible bowls and I don’t know what the hell went wrong type of smoke.

Reactions: Servant King

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I find that I enjoy my pipes a lot more now that I'm not smoking them as frequently.

As I have mentioned here many times, I used to smoke cigarettes. When I first started moving away from that habit, I smoked at least a few pipes per day. It's now been so long since I quit cigarettes that I no longer have nicotine cravings at all. As a result, I also smoke fewer pipes, and cigars too for that matter, which oddly enough has improved my experience when I do have a smoke. I also no longer find myself puffing hard like some kind of crack fiend trying to get my fix, which of course helps too.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I enjoy every bowl but the range of enjoyment can be large. It goes from "I liked that" to near Nirvana. Most of mine are closer to Nirvana than the other end of the spectrum.

This right here. As you progress, you'll get more used to packing, picking the right tobacco for the right bowl and just in general, you get better at it. It's pretty rare I don't enjoy a bowl. Even rarer when I have to cut my loses and start over.

Sounds weird but I felt like I was just simply ‘smoking a pipe’ rather than ‘trying to smoke a pipe’, if that makes sense

It makes perfect sense. You are on the right track and we all go through this phase when you are new to the pipe. For example, from time to time there are posts on new ways/methods for packing a pipe and I think "Oh no, here we go again with a new method." But that's because I've long forgotten that I to had to learn different styles of packing. I'd wager most of the guys here who've been smoking for years don't think about what method they use for packing a pipe, they just do it without thinking about it because their fingers have learned to know the right pressure and density for whatever they are going to smoke. That doesn't mean there aren't different methods, it's just autonomic. 95% of the time, I just stuff the tobacco in. On flakes, I just fold them over and stuff them in. Either way, the packing is right but I had to learn it with each. It just took me longer to learn the fold n stuff way.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
When it is not enjoyable I stop mid smoke and probably take a couple of days off. It usually means I am not feeling 100%, other than that yes I generally enjoy my smoke, although often in an absent minded way.

Agreed 100%. Put it down when you aren't enjoying it. I feel like this applies to everything in life, or at least anything that isn't a necessity or an obligation.

I have a number of things that I thoroughly enjoy, but that does not always mean I am in the mood for each of those things at any given time. The question "do you enjoy every bowl" is like asking "do you enjoy every camping trip" or "do you enjoy every football game." Most of the time it's great, but sometimes maybe you get rained on, or you get poison ivy, or your team gets trounced unexpectedly. Results vary.

I'm getting more particular with my blends lately. It's probably just a kick as I continue to explore the different blend types available but I do enjoy the blends I am smoking immensely. I am hard-core exploring Burley blends right now.

I sometimes choose the wrong pipe for the blend and the result is a less than Nirvana experience, but that is User Error. puffy

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I'm a creature of ritual, and I absolutely must have a bowl in the morning with coffee, out on the porch. Sometimes it's a wonderful quick smoke, sometimes it's just habit and I dump the bowl as it's just not hitting the spot. It's why I smoke cheap shag in the AM.

There's been plenty of times when a smoke just wasn't working, for whatever reason, and I've found myself not enjoying it. When that happens, settle pipe down or empty it out and try again later. There's just no sense in forcing yourself to complete a smoke that's not enjoyable.

pipesandscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2010
Northeast PA
I usually dread breaking in a new pipe. I know, first world problems. My Castello's have been consistently very good, almost enjoyable. But mostly, it's a challenge to see at what point, a new pipe is going to become pleasant. I do find my first pipe of the day with a cup of coffee usually my favorite.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I know I'm going to enjoy tomorrow morning bowl of Newminster 400 in Peterson SH Baskerville. It will be rubbed out and dried for short time, close to no moisture to touch. Then packed loosely for relaxed smoke at front porch. Can't sit under my fig trees yet, but it's a start.

IMAG1614-02.jpeg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I usually dread breaking in a new pipe. I know, first world problems. My Castello's have been consistently very good, almost enjoyable. But mostly, it's a challenge to see at what point, a new pipe is going to become pleasant. I do find my first pipe of the day with a cup of coffee usually my favorite.
Perhaps you're a candidate for good estate pipes!

And,
Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.