Do You Enjoy Every Bowl?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Tiltle edited: Upper case for important words! (Rule Nine)

Hi all.

I had Nightcap for the fourth/fifth time last night. The good news was that I smoked it in my largest pipe and had a real good rhythm/cadence, no tongue bite and a decent amount of smoke. Sounds weird but I felt like I was just simply ‘smoking a pipe’ rather than ‘trying to smoke a pipe’, if that makes sense.

I have to say though, the flavour wasn’t as sweet as it has been. It was just… ok. As well as that, I had lots of smoke blowing right up my nose, which was quite intense and not very enjoyable. As well as that, because I was using my largest pipe, I had quite a large nicotine hit at the end of the bowl which, though pleasant at the time, made me feel a bit sickly an hour or so later - though this could’ve been the horrible ashy aftertaste I was left with for about 15 hours after.

I just, overall, didn’t really enjoy the smoke I guess. I mean it was alright at the time, with a few pleasant moments, but I just didn’t enjoy it this time as I have the other times up to now. I know there will be explanations ie maybe it was because of the humidity in the air and the stillness of the wind causing the smoke to bellow into my face, but I’m just hoping and putting it down to being a one off ‘bad’ smoke.

My question is… do you enjoy all of your bowls? If not, how often not? Any advice or supportive comments?

Last edited by a moderator:

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Every now and then I have a bowl that just sucks. Do t know why, it just does. Could be so many things besides the tobacco or the pipe. Mood, weather, my physiology, phase of the moon. Hard to pinpoint. When it happens, I dump the bowl, take a break for a while and hit it again later. Almost never have two bad bowls in a row. If I do, it is a tobacco issue most likely.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Nope. Some are crappy. Some are good. Most are excellent. A few are exquisite.

Most crappy bowls are either my fault or because of some sort of environmental issue. I didn’t dry the tobacco enough. I chose a tobacco to smoke that I’m not really in the mood for. It’s windy. It’s hot. Etc etc.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
Hmmm.... 99% of the time, I would say yes. The rare exceptions have been due to some “mistake” on my part..... like....

a. Smoking from a pipe that was grungy and needing cleaning beyond words.

b. And, since I typically carry a pipe with me in a shirt or coat pocket..... the couple of times where something from my pocket fell into the chamber and I didn’t notice as I absentmindedly filled and fired up the pipe. Two especially grievous examples were once when a chewing gum wrapper was inside, and the other when an M&M was lodged inside. ? Neither instance was enjoyable.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Nope. The mechanics aren't at fault. Sometimes my taster is having an off day Sometimes it's because I've spent too much time within a too similar locus of blends and I need to mix it up. On occasion it's been an aged blend that didn't age well. I went through a brief period where the blends all stung like hell, and I seriously thought about chucking all of it. But that passed and things are back to what passes in my life for normal.
I enjoy the vast majority, but not all.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Oh also I had to learn that if I am really mad not to smoke. Pretty mad smoking helps. If I am at the level of mad where I keep having fantasies about violence or at least telling someone off in a very concise and full way... Then that's no time to smoke. Ironically it can help me calm down to realize I am not going to smoke because of those bastards.... yet if I am already smoking it just pisses me off more that I am not enjoying the smoke.
Oh yes I am a bit crazy. I'll be honest I am that kind of crazy people don't notice for three to four months and then one day they see it.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
My question is… do you enjoy all of your bowls? If not, how often not? Any advice or supportive comments?

No. I wish they were. Most often they’re satisfying. Every so often so full of flavor I’ll follow up with another. I smoke primarily one blend. My variables are fewer than most and yet, sessions differ.

Sometimes my best smokes come from comparisons — two bowls at once alternating between them. I find this enables me to better taste each.

This morning I was having a so so bowl of Granger. So I loaded another pipe with Smokers Pride Rich Taste, the Red Bag. It’s an inexpensive, burley va mix. The change mid-smoke was extraordinary. When I relit the Granger all of its nuances were there. Back and forth sometimes makes a more enjoyable session.