PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
It is very rare that I don't enjoy any tobacco that I have picked. I smoke in 2 places, my living room and my bedroom. I know how to pack a bowl so that is usually never an issue. Once in a while I will have to repack a pipe but, but that is like once every 500 bowls.

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
Smoking a blend I'm familiar with in a pipe that pairs well with that blend yes it's success every time. Smoking a new blend or breaking in a new pipe can be hit or miss. Some people are more into a lot of different blends but might only have two or three pipes while other people might have 6 to 10 + pipes because they like collecting them and enjoying each one and might only enjoy two or three blends. I fall in the middle of that. I tried to pair blends or a category of blends I like with a certain pipe or style of pipe that gets the most out of that blend. The opposite effect of that would be me smoking a blend that I know smokes hot and wet in a small thin walled pipe that's going to make the pipe too hot to smoke and too wet to enjoy without constantly running a pipe cleaner down it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Like meals, trips, or any other pleasures, results may vary. Usually pipe smoking is enjoyable, the blends interesting, and the time relaxing and content. Now and then, a pipe may be inspiring or even exciting, but that is more rare. I think angling toward good experiences is ongoing, often when I'm not smoking or thinking about it in particular, but randomly wondering what blend to smoke next, or what tobaccos might mix, or what pipe might capture a blend best. When everything comes together well, that's fulfilling.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Its rare that the pipe doesn't come up to "okay" on the meter. Usually when I am trying some outside my comfort zone will that occur. Most fall in "that was good" to nearly sublime categories.

Reactions: STP

Worknman

Sep 23, 2019
Sometimes the stars align and give you the perfect smoke. Sometimes it goes in the opposite direction. Either way, smoking the same blend 4 or 5 times in a row could be part of the problem. Id recommend changing it up to keep your palate interested.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and STP

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I’m not the most patient person in the world, and have certainly been known to dump a bowl and start over again if I didn’t like the draw, taste, burn, etc. Life is too short to smoke something I don’t enjoy, or fuss with endless relighting. Fortunately, this doesn’t happen oftenpuffy

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Last night I smoked an aromatic that I am very fond of in a tried and true pipe that I must have smoked some English in previous to last night night. The ghosts of English past made themselves known and took much of the joy out of that smoke. My palette for pipe tobacco is such that there are few tobaccos that I don’t enjoy. i am not a meticulous person so allocating certain pipes to specific tobaccos will not happen.

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Nope; and it’s almost exclusively due to environmental issues (Neighbor starts screaming at their kid, it’s starts raining (I only smoke outside, the other half comes out with a chore that “has to be done right now”, it’s brutally hot out?, etc).

I’d venture to guess that 80% are enjoyable to the extent where I just lose track of time, sit and contemplate, and savor the flavors,and aromas of the tobacco.

You can’t win ‘em all, but when you’re batting better than 50%; you’ve nothing to complain about.?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No. Often when I've smoked too many bowls back to back, or when I have some bulk I should really put aside to age, or throw out. (Zounds! I generally don't throw anything away!)

Reactions: chopper

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
One thing I have noticed is that the longer I go on with this smoking thing. The better I get at picking the right tobacco for me at the right time. For example not a big aro guy but last friday Pioneer Square a generic but good vanilla cavendish hit the spot perfectly. And there are so many more times where my smoking session involved the precisely perfect blend. One of the things that makes pipe smoking great is the variety. Making it easier to find just that right blend for that moment. By the way the best way to enjoy Semois is in a meer or clay on one of those nights where the stars are clear while drunk on brandy.

Reactions: The Clay King