PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pipesandscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2010
Northeast PA
Perhaps you're a candidate for good estate pipes!

And,
Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.
Thank you, and done.

I have many nice estate pipes in my collection. Been at this for almost 50 years. Like everyone, can't resist a new pipe from time to time when PAD happens!

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I used to dislike many bowls, even most. I struggled for a long time. I truly disliked most pipe tobacco I tried. But recently I have found that if I choose a tobacco that truly demands my full respect and awareness--a tobacco that will literally hurt me if I give it anything less than that--and if I sip with care and even caution, only barely keeping it lit, breathing through my nose and setting the pipe down before I feel I need to, I do enjoy almost every bowl.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Agreed 100%. Put it down when you aren't enjoying it. I feel like this applies to everything in life, or at least anything that isn't a necessity or an obligation.

I have a number of things that I thoroughly enjoy, but that does not always mean I am in the mood for each of those things at any given time. The question "do you enjoy every bowl" is like asking "do you enjoy every camping trip" or "do you enjoy every football game." Most of the time it's great, but sometimes maybe you get rained on, or you get poison ivy, or your team gets trounced unexpectedly. Results vary.
Well said.

Reactions: lawdawg

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
Tiltle edited: Upper case for important words! (Rule Nine)

Hi all.

I had Nightcap for the fourth/fifth time last night. The good news was that I smoked it in my largest pipe and had a real good rhythm/cadence, no tongue bite and a decent amount of smoke. Sounds weird but I felt like I was just simply ‘smoking a pipe’ rather than ‘trying to smoke a pipe’, if that makes sense.

I have to say though, the flavour wasn’t as sweet as it has been. It was just… ok. As well as that, I had lots of smoke blowing right up my nose, which was quite intense and not very enjoyable. As well as that, because I was using my largest pipe, I had quite a large nicotine hit at the end of the bowl which, though pleasant at the time, made me feel a bit sickly an hour or so later - though this could’ve been the horrible ashy aftertaste I was left with for about 15 hours after.

I just, overall, didn’t really enjoy the smoke I guess. I mean it was alright at the time, with a few pleasant moments, but I just didn’t enjoy it this time as I have the other times up to now. I know there will be explanations ie maybe it was because of the humidity in the air and the stillness of the wind causing the smoke to bellow into my face, but I’m just hoping and putting it down to being a one off ‘bad’ smoke.

My question is… do you enjoy all of your bowls? If not, how often not? Any advice or supportive comments?
Your body chemistry, your mood, and especially your emotions can make a pipe not taste good. I am going through divorce, and more often than not my tobacco tastes like shite, evvlen though I know it really doesn't. Plus, when you overdo it a few times, it wrecks your palate for a period. It will come back. After a while you will build up a tougher tongue and palate and be able to smoke more before it happens. Some veterans on this forum smoke all day long, literally, and you can bet that they taste pretty much every bowl. It takes time and conditioning. You will get used to the nicotine, and your body will adapt to whatever rhythm you give it. For instance, at night I smoke 7-10 bowls back to back, but if I smoke even one bowl of mild tobacco during the day, it ruins my palate for that night.

Reactions: fellrobin

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Certainly Not, especially if I end up with something containing Perique. Received either as a gift or just didn't notice it in the description.
Aromatics also tend to be a little touch and go depending on my mood and taste, and if I'm a little off with my choice, I dont really end up enjoying it.