PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Bulldog closed.
What???!!!

I was just there a couple months ago! Two week ago we drove through but since I had just been there recently and had just spent $175 at Tobacco World we decided to drive on through since we still had about 4 hours to go until we got home and it was getting dark already.

Bloody Hell! That was a great shop and the guys there were awesome.

• Sad
Reactions: Servant King

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
I have enough in my very modest cellar to last me a long time, although it is a fraction of what many of you have. And enough pipes as well. Definitely wouldn't drive anywhere for pipe tobacco. I plan to buy very selectively going forward, when I get an out of stock notification for something I've been looking for and when I travel.

Reactions: Servant King

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've driven to the J&R cigar discount shop twice, about 60 miles round trip, for pipe blends, OTC and others. Online sales have made the drive not cost effective, so i haven't done it in years. And I like to patronize my local independent pipe shop across town when possible, but I don't do it nearly enough. So no, mostly I don't drive for tobacco.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I drive to the local B&M once a month or so, just to support them. Most of my tobacco is purchased online since there aren’t issues with internet tobacco sales in Texas (at least yet).
"Yet" being the operative word! It can happen for any state at any time. Here in CA, I'm full steam ahead in stock-up mode, and I know I'm not the only one. The writing's on the wall. As Morrissey once said, "...and there's nowhere to go, but down!"

Reactions: KafkaStoleMyBike

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I order online, closest decent pipe b&m is an hour drive, free delivery from 90 euros, driving to there is more expensive considering fuel costs. The stock is ok-ish in the Netherlands, ordering from danpipe is Germany is much better regarding stock and a bit cheaper, only shipping is more expensive.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
With more and more online tobacconists which are now NOT shipping pipe tobacco to Maine, and the fact we no longer have a single tobacconist here in the state, I may soon be restricted to codger / OTC pipe tobaccos found at the usual places, and bagged stuff in the local head shops.
Jenny station in Brunswick is still open, isn't it? And I thought there was a shop in Portland

BrokenRecord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2020
PNW, US
What???!!!

I was just there a couple months ago! Two week ago we drove through but since I had just been there recently and had just spent $175 at Tobacco World we decided to drive on through since we still had about 4 hours to go until we got home and it was getting dark already.

Bloody Hell! That was a great shop and the guys there were awesome.
Tobacco World is small but nice (It is more of a nook than a world). I walked into the CDA mall in December and Bulldog was closed. It looks like they had some issues with the property ownership. Their Facebook says they should reopen soon in Post Falls, ID.

Trainpipeman

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2021
Rhode Island
It is about a 45 minute drive, each way, for a decent tobacconist. What is closer is what can be described as OTC. Being in a state that does not allow Internet sales, I do not have that option. Fortunately, my local B&M, although 45 minutes away, is well-stocked. And I like the idea of supporting a local business.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I do 95 percent of my purchasing online. There are no B and M stores in Tucson that are worth visiting. They’re either all cigars or all vape/ecigs. Any time I drive through Phoenix I do like to stop at Stag to pick up a few tins, but that’s 100 miles one way so I can’t really justify driving up there just to do that.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I see a pattern here, and I'm part of it too. Cigars & More is about 50 miles away for me, but that's just to even be able to reach out and touch a tin of real pipe tobacco; abysmal selection, surrounded by cigars and vape/e-cig stuff that I don't understand or want to. It's another 30 or 40 miles past that to Tobacco Trader, which I posted an entry about recently in the Tobacco Legislation section. They've just got the bare minimum of selection, but it's not their fault. So I had no choice but to cave; I placed my first online order ever this week. And who knows how long I'll have before the CA govt actor/cyborgs nix that option too?

So yes, I drive for tobacco...as in, I drive myself crazy thinking about what kind of time I have left to cellar. :cry:

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Tobacco World is small but nice (It is more of a nook than a world). I walked into the CDA mall in December and Bulldog was closed. It looks like they had some issues with the property ownership. Their Facebook says they should reopen soon in Post Falls, ID.
I was there in late November I suppose and had a great conversation with the general there. Bought some fantastic bags and tins from him. No idea it would be the last time.

Hopefully they can reopen in Post Falls! I frequent a great hobby shop there and quite like the place. Damn sure easier to get around in too!

Reactions: Jacob74

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Well, most of the blends you mentioned cellaring are good-to-great blends. Saying that you were a catalyst for market shortages is hyperbolic. You simply have good taste along with your Howell’s.?☕
Those Howells are sweet, thanks. I agree with you as I do have good taste, in fact I might have the best taste in the entire piping world. I also may be the most humble pipe smoker out there. Or I could just be some jerk who doesn't know squat.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I've driven to the J&R cigar discount shop twice, about 60 miles round trip, for pipe blends, OTC and others. Online sales have made the drive not cost effective, so i haven't done it in years. And I like to patronize my local independent pipe shop across town when possible, but I don't do it nearly enough. So no, mostly I don't drive for tobacco.
JR's is a shadow of its former self. Being in Flowers, outside of Clayton, I am close to Smithfield. I used to go there some years back to hang out at the lounge and shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.