PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
I keeping seeing post about states that you can not buy "Flavored Tobacco". In the smaller states do you guys drive to a different state?
I live in Illinois and Missouri is only 70 miles away and tobacco is half the cost. My wife smokes cigarettes so we travel there every couple of months and buy I usually grab a tub or two of OTC if available.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
There are no tobacconist within 90 minutes of my city and to get to one with a reasonable selection it’s about 4-5 hours on the road.

The biggest issue is that requires paying much, much higher taxes in a different state plus the higher retail prices, so it’s more about buying a tin or three that aren’t easily available elsewhere. A couple of those shops are great small businesses and often have unicorns at prices I’m okay with and I enjoy visiting and buying.

Mostly I buy online in bulk due to the drastic price difference and better availability, convenience, and not having to drive 10 hours for a round trip.

I still try to support my favorite shops as much as possible but they are few and far between now.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I buy strictly online since around 2008 which was when the state of Florida put an 85% tax on the wholesale price of pipe tobacco. I had a great local store called Benningtons's that has been around forever. I qould goo in at least a couple times a week sometimes more. I never thought about cellaring as he had a great inventory and I could walk in any day pick up some Penzance for about 5 bucks a tin and he never ran out. Once the tax hit a 9.75 tin of SG Best Brown Flake went to 22 dollars and change. I never bought another tin in Florida and I began thinking maybe I should be stocking up. I knew about SP,,PC,4Noggins, and many more tobacconists. I started slowly buy trying all different types to figure out what I should stock up on. The word cellaring wasn't anything I used. I wasn't in any hurry until 2012.
I think that was when the state of Washington put a ban on ordering tobacco over the internet. That did it for me. I vowed to never run out of one of my favorites so I gave myself 1 year to buy 20-25 years of tobacco.
When I told people what I was doing most called me a paranoid fool who will just loose money buying things I will eventually hate.

I was fine with people talking like that as it kept my favorites in stock and easy to get. There were rarely any limits on how many you could buy in a day, most were 20-25 a day. I had no problems ordering 25 tins 4-5 days in a row. Towards the end of my journey many of my favorites were now hard to find. Specifically John Aylesbury Luxury Flake, all of a sudden no one had any. Another was Wessex Brown flake. I was just finishing so I wasn't worried about filling in on a couple to a few different blends. The hard to find big names I had covered with 12-14 pounds each. Stonehaven, Samuel Gawith Best Brown, Full Virginia and St James Flakes all were at least a dozen pounds each. I got most from small mom and pop stores. I only got maybe 3-4 bags of hard to get from the big guys. I went small and it paid off big time as people were giddy when I would call and order in 5 pound lots. One guy even gave me a 10% discount on the SG blends.

I reached my goal before December 18, as that is my birthday and I wanted to give myself a nice present.

My celler which I thought was complete was not totally done as I foolishly tried a few blends that jiminks told me I would love. So I loaded up on Curly Block, Salty Dogs, Butera Dark Stoved( I went 140 tins deep) which is pretty much the same as McClelland Dark Star.

Then I went pretty short on around 25 tins of 2013 Capstan RR that SP had found in a back room somewhere and then lastly I went for the Savinelli Doblone d'Oro. The price was cheap, 15.36 for 100 gram tins. I bought about 35 of those.

That was a couple of years ago and the only thing I have bought have been aged tins of one of my favorites. these tins are from 1997,98,2004,2005,2006. They are the only things I have bought at a price I considered to be fair as they were all 100 gram tins.
My plan was a success. Two of my favorites were discontinued with no warning and I had plenty as I knew one was definitely going down but the other surprised me.
It has been a heck of a journey but it was fun chasing down some of the hard to gets and being successful. I began posting my list when people wanted ideas of what other people were smoking. After a few of these postings I had a few guys ask me too stop posting it as it was creating shortages. I said sure no problem and I was kind of amazed that people looked at my list enough to create shortages.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
There are no tobacconist within 90 minutes of my city and to get to one with a reasonable selection it’s about 4-5 hours on the road.

The biggest issue is that requires paying much, much higher taxes in a different state plus the higher retail prices, so it’s more about buying a tin or three that aren’t easily available elsewhere. A couple of those shops are great small businesses and often have unicorns at prices I’m okay with and I enjoy visiting and buying.

Mostly I buy online in bulk due to the drastic price difference and better availability, convenience, and not having to drive 10 hours for a round trip.

I still try to support my favorite shops as much as possible but they are few and far between now.
I live in California and buy via mail from a B&M in St. Charles, Mo. Very cheap and no taxes. I just phone in my order.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I buy strictly online since around 2008 which was when the state of Florida put an 85% tax on the wholesale price of pipe tobacco. I had a great local store called Benningtons's that has been around forever. I qould goo in at least a couple times a week sometimes more. I never thought about cellaring as he had a great inventory and I could walk in any day pick up some Penzance for about 5 bucks a tin and he never ran out. Once the tax hit a 9.75 tin of SG Best Brown Flake went to 22 dollars and change. I never bought another tin in Florida and I began thinking maybe I should be stocking up. I knew about SP,,PC,4Noggins, and many more tobacconists. I started slowly buy trying all different types to figure out what I should stock up on. The word cellaring wasn't anything I used. I wasn't in any hurry until 2012.
I think that was when the state of Washington put a ban on ordering tobacco over the internet. That did it for me. I vowed to never run out of one of my favorites so I gave myself 1 year to buy 20-25 years of tobacco.
When I told people what I was doing most called me a paranoid fool who will just loose money buying things I will eventually hate.

I was fine with people talking like that as it kept my favorites in stock and easy to get. There were rarely any limits on how many you could buy in a day, most were 20-25 a day. I had no problems ordering 25 tins 4-5 days in a row. Towards the end of my journey many of my favorites were now hard to find. Specifically John Aylesbury Luxury Flake, all of a sudden no one had any. Another was Wessex Brown flake. I was just finishing so I wasn't worried about filling in on a couple to a few different blends. The hard to find big names I had covered with 12-14 pounds each. Stonehaven, Samuel Gawith Best Brown, Full Virginia and St James Flakes all were at least a dozen pounds each. I got most from small mom and pop stores. I only got maybe 3-4 bags of hard to get from the big guys. I went small and it paid off big time as people were giddy when I would call and order in 5 pound lots. One guy even gave me a 10% discount on the SG blends.

I reached my goal before December 18, as that is my birthday and I wanted to give myself a nice present.

My celler which I thought was complete was not totally done as I foolishly tried a few blends that jiminks told me I would love. So I loaded up on Curly Block, Salty Dogs, Butera Dark Stoved( I went 140 tins deep) which is pretty much the same as McClelland Dark Star.

Then I went pretty short on around 25 tins of 2013 Capstan RR that SP had found in a back room somewhere and then lastly I went for the Savinelli Doblone d'Oro. The price was cheap, 15.36 for 100 gram tins. I bought about 35 of those.

That was a couple of years ago and the only thing I have bought have been aged tins of one of my favorites. these tins are from 1997,98,2004,2005,2006. They are the only things I have bought at a price I considered to be fair as they were all 100 gram tins.
My plan was a success. Two of my favorites were discontinued with no warning and I had plenty as I knew one was definitely going down but the other surprised me.
It has been a heck of a journey but it was fun chasing down some of the hard to gets and being successful. I began posting my list when people wanted ideas of what other people were smoking. After a few of these postings I had a few guys ask me too stop posting it as it was creating shortages. I said sure no problem and I was kind of amazed that people looked at my list enough to create shortages.
Well, most of the blends you mentioned cellaring are good-to-great blends. Saying that you were a catalyst for market shortages is hyperbolic. You simply have good taste along with your Howell’s.?☕

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
With more and more online tobacconists which are now NOT shipping pipe tobacco to Maine, and the fact we no longer have a single tobacconist here in the state, I may soon be restricted to codger / OTC pipe tobaccos found at the usual places, and bagged stuff in the local head shops.
Small out of state B&Ms will ship. This is my work around for most things California.

Zack Miller

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
With more and more online tobacconists which are now NOT shipping pipe tobacco to Maine, and the fact we no longer have a single tobacconist here in the state, I may soon be restricted to codger / OTC pipe tobaccos found at the usual places, and bagged stuff in the local head shops.
what happened to Jenney’s Station in Brunswick?

DAC40060-E6CD-4930-89E4-223FFE0E81DE.jpeg

Reactions: JOHN72 and jpberg

BrokenRecord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2020
PNW, US
I live in south east Washington. When I need tobacco or supplies, I have to drive to Spokane or Coeur d’Alene, ID. I can have packages delivered in ID to a friend. Both drives are the same distance: an hour and a half. The cost of a tin at brick and mortars in either city is about the same. Until last year, I almost only purchased from online retailers.
I sometimes pick up OTC blends on a local reservation, which is about half the distance.

Reactions: Jacob74

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I live in south east Washington. When I need tobacco or supplies, I have to drive to Spokane or Coeur d’Alene, ID. I can have packages delivered in ID to a friend. Both drives are the same distance: an hour and a half. The cost of a tin at brick and mortars in either city is about the same. Until last year, I almost only purchased from online retailers.
I sometimes pick up OTC blends on a local reservation, which is about half the distance.
Bulldog and Tobacco World are favorites whenever I’m in WA or ID. Bloody expensive and high taxes but nice shops!

Reactions: Jacob74

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
When I'm traveling and have the opportunity, I'll visit local B&Ms. I really enjoy being able to smoke and hang out with local Pipers and cigar smokers. I always make it a point to spend at least $100 as well to support these folks.
Absolutely spot on, sir. I agree 100%.

Fiddlepiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
When they are open again, I will be definitely driving through to my closest B&M. I relish the real, face to face interactions of shopping in person. (there's no chat when ordering online unfortunately, apart from with myself)

Although ordering online does have it's advantages in terms of cost/selection sometimes, my local shop is very good and needs supporting/business to continue to trade. It's only if they don't stock something I want (or for samples as there are a couple of very good websites for samples here) that I would go elsewhere.

Whenever I am travelling (around the UK or abroad), I always like to try and find a local tobacconists to check out. Always interesting to see a different selection.

Reactions: Servant King
Status
Not open for further replies.