PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a minor tendency to wonder if this is a lucky color or that is a lucky pair of shoes, so I avoid carrying any good luck pieces. I'd get weighed down with all the symbolism and forget to mind my business. I do have little rituals to keep track of things, keeping things in specific pockets, and putting things in specific places so they don't get lost. I have a bit of superstition about getting up; I'm not an early-early riser, but I feel uncomfortable if I sleep too late without some reason -- late hours the night before, a cold, etc. As Ben Franklin said: "He who riseth late must trot all day." Trot, the perfect word. I believe in "luck," as in ones good fortune or lack thereof. But I think choices are more important, as is work and struggle. I'm intrigued by sports fans who get deeply into evocation of luck, wearing their lucky shirt to watch a game and following certain rituals, this longing for more agency and control in things beyond our reach.

Last edited:

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
While there is no such thing as luck I will paraphrase my particular belief "fortune favors the prepared" and I always carry my Leatherman Skeletool:

skeletool.jpg

In a sense you can "make your own luck" by being prepared.

I hate going places where I'm not allowed to carry it.

Status
Not open for further replies.