PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Clearly this sort of thing has worked with rarities. For regularly-available tobacco, it's unclear whether shipping would eat up any savings.
Maybe as an alternate, convince a major retailer to offer a sale on 10-tin lots of a certain brand that more people should stockpile?

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I like the idea, but I smoke a rather narrow list of tobaccos and the logistics would be a problem.
I just don't see how enough money could be saved to make it worth the effort.
Keep in mind this and similar forums make up a very small percentage of pipe smokers.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I'm still in, if you'll have a newbie. My number one would be Escudo from your list and I'm very, very hesitant to buy anything from Samuel Gawith right now due to their Lakeland essence problem, so if you all decide to go that route I'm afraid i'll have to back out, I've already got burned on 250g of FVF.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I doubt that any significant agreement will be arrived at as to what blend to get. And even if such an agreement were made, saving $20 on 10 tins is no stem-winder for me. I could care less about Escudo, let alone saving a few $$$ on 10 tins or 100 tins, assuming there is that much $$$ to be saved in the first place. If we are to abide by the parameters set by the O/P, then we get a bright Virginia flake. I say add a little Perique and some Orientals, and have C&D or even McClelland crank out the Pipes Magazine special blend once a year. Something along the lines of Tudor Castle. I would be in for 5 pounds.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I'm in.
It sounds like if you can find a blend we have a lot of people that are willing to go in.
Edit: saving money on 10 tins, Then pay for shipping. In the end the savings might not be all that good.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
This is a great idea, but I can see already it is like herding cats. But for this to work perhaps you ask Condorlover1 for more information on his tobacco. To get different tobacco than what SToP has I would hit Russ O and/or GL Pease up and see what he/they thinks about this working. I have no idea if we can even work directly with the producer, likely some stupid law says we cannot, but again Dan, Russ O, and GL Pease are forum members that can answer all your questions in about 3 seconds. As I see it you have SToP, Russ, and Pease who can help answer all questions easily. But maybe I am wrong, I did have some hard landings LMAO!! :puffpipe:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
We're thinking too small. If we buy YUGE, we can get Royal Yacht for $7 or less per tin. Come on, you know you want this.

Harris, where did you go? Get back here. Have you called anyone? Are we going to do this or not? Don't just tease us and walk away. Get up on that table and dance... I mean... um... :::cough cough:::
What about a huge bulk order of Wessex Gold Bricks? This is one that I've tried, and love, but I haven't started stocking yet.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Royal Yacht?? Why? There are better blends put forward by the gentlemen cited in fordm60's post! And it's good old Yankee Trade.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The joke was that it's a personal favorite. But, everyone should try it -- at least once. Actually, it took me several tries to appreciate it, so maybe a half-dozen times :)

Royal Yacht?? Why?

I'm thinking that Harris isn't going to go for anything by GLP, SToP, nor Russ, since they don't make golden flue cured Virginias flakes that are on his list. ...and, we know how much Harris loves to suck down the Yacht. :wink:
So, either he will take his bat and ball and go home, or we will have to play ball, ignoring all the latakiaphiles. They can get their own threads. They are free. :wink:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The Yacht is like the vacation that comes to you. You just have to be receptive.
Golden flue cured Virginias... talk about a phrase to set the pulse racing!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Ok guys, wanted to see how much interest and how many were not enamored with my list. If this were to happen, the retailer would ship to each individual, no need for any of us to have to deal with shipping 200 plus tins.
Next objection, if you cannot find a blend on my list, then you are not worthy to participte. My list is the quintissential flake list on the entire planet, people from all over the world send me gifts for coming up with it. So pick a damn blend from it and like it.
I want to see a show of hands with a blend, not other comments will be considered.
Jesse, I tried nailing jello to a wall and it is really hard.

Here's my hand showing...

7517EC5E-BF1A-4064-8804-9673A52CCBC6_zpsg6altysr.jpg

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Alright, you have some power of persuasion behind you... Irish Flake or Dunhill Navy Flake, that is the question?
Although I maintain that Royal Yacht -- while not flaky in any way -- is the Prince among tobaccos.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Cosmic, that hand looks 28 at the outside... you're doing something right. Must be the Royal Yacht.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
death, did you knot understand my last post? Pick a damn flake and stuff your Royal Yuck where the sun don't shine. :nana:
cosmic, are you brain dead? Who wants to see a picture of your old mofo face, godamn methuselah.

Status
Not open for further replies.