PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cosmic, I am pretty sure that the agreements that mfgs and distributors have would not allow us to access them directly, but we can always ask. Yes I keep that stupid list in a file to click and paste, do you really think I would take the time to write it everytime for you marooons?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I also have Escudo callared real deep, but if the overwhelming majority was for it, I would agree, as for me what ever I don't smoke, can be sold for huge profits.

badger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2016
I'd be down for a Stonehaven group buy. Put me down for 10 bags.

Yeh, I would be shocked to death to find that a retailer could provide us with a price lower than smokingpipes. I have not been in a retailer yet that actually made money on tobacco. Mostly, they just offer it as a service with only a small percentage of increase, not even close to a keystone. Pipes and cigars is what keep the lights on. Pipe tobacco is just to keep us coming in.

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
If we're talking deep discounts as mentioned and a cellar worthy blend from that fantastic list, I'd be in for more than 10 (20, 30?) tins.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
And, just that quickly, I'm out! Let me know if you get this going and can add others to the list. Thanks for trying though! I've been hanging out with latakia lately.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Therein lies the problem. You listed around 35 suggestions and none of them are on my list. Not a big burly fan, don't mind a little red Virginia, but could live without it. And you will not consider a Latakia blend, but I can live without Latakia. I agree on the flake as a starting point.
How about having C&D do a bright/yellow Virginia flake with a touch of Perique and a dose of some Oriental tobacco. A special order/run we could do on a yearly basis?
I bet this would work.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
I think the answer is, if we can get a retailer like PandC, SP, Cup'O, etc to do something, we will find enough people to make any given blend work. It could be as simple as Russ giving out a code to this forum for one blend a month.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Interesting idea, but SP.com already offers pretty decent quantity discounts on most items. Take Escudo for example... if you purchase 25+ tins, they offer you a 10% discount on the per tin price.
Just my opinion, but I think you would be hard pressed to get them to go lower than that. I suspect they are barely making any money on a $9.38 tin as it is.
Good luck though. Will be interesting to see what you find out.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Dude! I'd buy a truckload of Smyrna and JC 1and2 !
And by truckload I mean 10 tins of each or more depending on cost!

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
While the idea is a good one, the execution of it is difficult. At least going about it this way. The ol' adage "you can please some of the people some of the time" applies here.
Probably the best course of action is to FIRST contact either P&C or Smokingpipes and see if a large bulk purchase on a blend is something they could either entertain, or accommodate. I would think P&C would be able to do something with the H&H line(my assumption Russ, keep me honest here) or Smokingpipes could do something with the C&D/Pease/Capt.Earl line due to their connection with Laudisi. It's a business and quantity is king for bulk purchases, which is the power of bulk buys. Quantity is also relative. A big retailer like them would might have a different definition of what a "large" order is.
Now lets say we get 20 people wanting to buy 10 tins of X tobacco each. That's 200 tins, really not that much to a big retailer.(I don't have purchasing numbers from their business so I dont know it may be). There is a profit margin they all want to see, so we have to find out a number that's a win/win for both parties buyer/seller. Once you find that number, find out what blends that can be applied to. Get THAT list and go from there to the forums asking for people interested.
How will this be paid for? Who's going to collect the funds and cut the check to the seller? How will purchase be be distributed to the interested parties? All questions that will need to be answered
Bulk purchases benefit the seller when all they have to do is provide a large quantity of product to a single location. When they have to distribute it all, they have the overhead of doing so which eats in to profits/savings of the deal for all involved.
The devil is in the details boys, picking the blend to purchase is actually the easy part.
Now, I'm not trying to poo poo the idea, I'm just pointing out the realities of what you're looking to do. It can be done, but it requires some research and coordination.
There was a thread on this forum 6 moths ago when Smokinpipes was asked to do a special run of Chenet's Cake in 1 lb. cans/blocks if there was enough interest. They came back and said they would do it, but said they were already working on releasing the Cellar Series in 8oz cans in the coming months. Everyone just decided to wait on the 1/2 lb cans.
Which brings up another point, the majority of people on the internet are lazy, they'll always choose the path of least resistance.
Anyway, this idea has potential, the "ducks just need lined up."

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
I don't know how low the internet stores can go on certain brands. A brick and mortar may be willing to take a minimal profit just to possibly get some auxillary business from the sale.
Many non-cuban cigar manufacturers have a minimum price (MAP) which is why some auction sites can't offer them at auction anymore. I don't know if any pipe tobacco manufacturers have it also. I am also assuming here that the Cuban cigar vendors used in the group buys were grey market sites and more willing to give discounts rather than an official LDCH, if they weren't, I stand corrected.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Harris, I have an inside line on 5 pound bricks of Ennerdale. Let me know :mrgreen:

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
sablebrush52, lol, never heard the jello thing before! Will have to remember that.

Cigar.. not making light of your inspiring suggestion. Good luck with the process.

jamesrsmithjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2015
@derfargin; "How will purchase be be distributed to the interested parties?" My thoughts exactly.
But that doesn't mean I won't be in, cellar deep my friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.