@didimauw Dr. Grabow Appreciation Thread (8/2/2020)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I am starting this the evening prior as I will be out in the boonies getting our moose camp set up all day tomorrow. But hey its already the 2nd for you east coasters so I say its fair game.

One year ago our fellow pipe smoker, site moderator, and all around good guy @didimauw decided to take on yet another brave a selfless experiment in the name of science by smoking the same Dr. Grabow pipe all day, every day for one entire year. That journey comes to a glorious end today, August 2nd.

The thread has been thoroughly entertaining to follow, as we all got to witness the journey in all its tooth-marked, finish bubbled glory. Not to mention more cake than a baker’s birthday as he put almost 1,000 bowls through that sucker consecutively. Even as he was relegated to a small smoking tent in his garage during the cold Wisconsin winter, he did not give up and powered through for the cause!

Many also know he recently did the same with a cob, but cobs already have cob tuesday. Today, I say we all celebrate his commitment by pulling out our Dr. Grabow pipes, loading up one of didi’s favorite blends, and if possible posting a pic to show our appreciation for such an awesome show of dediction. Y’know, for science!

I happened to know he enjoys Carter Hall, Briar Fox, HH Burley Flake, and Stokkebye PS 312. If you don’t have em, get the next best thing and lets see em! And lets all give a big thanks to @didimauw for a years worth of an awesome thread! I hear a “Year of the Meer” may be in the works after some recovery time..... :ROFLMAO:Cheers and Happy Dr. Grabow Day!!!

For my selection I went with an ironically (Until now) unsmoked Dr. Grabow Westbrook Ajustomatic Bent Billiard, loaded with Good ol’ Briar Fox (which of course, didi turned me on to). How bout you?

45610133-0B1A-46FF-AEC1-67C802054751.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Last evening I had a bowl in honor of didi's feat, in my Dr. Grabow Royalton apple, and today I will continue the observance with another bowl in my Royalton bulldog. I don't have an open tin, but a good blend for this purpose would be Medal of Valor. Congratulations to didi for his sturdy persistence and for sharing it with us. Hip-hip-hooray!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Weather kept us from flying today (a sure sign its almost moose season, haha) so hoping I’ll be able to contribute again later. This time in my dads old Grabow El Dorado.

Reactions: BROBS

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I started picking up estate Dr Grabows after accidentally getting one with a pipe rack.
It's a straight brushed apple and its rim looks chewed. The double rusticated model finish.
The stem is perfect and although it arrived with no stinger, its draw is open, easy, and effective.
After having reamed all the cake, and deep cleaning the stem, likely (i dont recall) salt or coffee treatment on the bowl?) it quickly opened my eyes to the potential of this Chevrolet of pipes.

I've since acquired a few more of these older Grabows and every time I smoke one I remember e. James.WIN_20200802_13_13_44_Pro.jpg

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
You know I would only smoke the highest class and most expensive Grabow. The most rare: The Grabow Freehand. Made by Danish POWs in Sparta, NC. Carved with hand forged ice picks and smoothed with the salt from dried tears. The stain is Dane‘s blood. Smoking an aromatic blend created by Sir Walter Raleigh himself. HUZZAH @didimauw !
EEE946E9-F903-41E4-ACA5-EA17D1A3DD86.jpeg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I only own the Royalton because, with its acrylic stem, at least I know which plastic they're using. All Dr. Grabows have a good feel, like the people who make them actually like the product and want the customer to be pleased with them too.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Oops I posted in his thread before seeing this.
Did the same thing, so double the recognition @didimauw

Congrats, Didi!

Enjoying some Carter Hall in a Dr. Grabow Savoy Textured. One Grabow for one day because you’re an inspiration! I should have planned ahead and cleaned up one of the beat up Dr. Grabow estates I have laying around. Not sure how you did it, I’ve been smoking a new meer exclusively for two weeks and am ready to go back to variety.
1D898105-7003-4179-B51F-F4BF8EF6DD71.jpeg

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
With weather keeping me on the ground today, Dr. Grabow day continues with the first pipe I ever restored! An El Dorado Ajustomatic Apple my dad inherited and smoked for many years. Loaded with HH Burley Flake and paired with some late morning coffee!

62BC4455-AC4A-4B15-A519-89DA3D165825.jpeg