Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."
Jack Burton - Big Trouble in Little China

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We just re-watched a blu-ray of "Cool Hand Luke", so this seems appropriate:
"What we've got here, is failure to communicate"....(which is NOT the way this Mod wants it).

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Two men walk together through the prairie. The fool steps on a cow pat and cries in disgust “the world is filled with shit”. The wiseman steps on a cow pat and smiles for he knows with each step he spreads new life.
From some movie I can’t remember probably while I was tripping on shrooms back in the day.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
"I ain't got time to bleed." -- Carl Weathers as Dillon in 1987's Predator.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
Another quote from Harvey
""In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzOIhLJ1C-Y

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
So I think that makes them casual and free with threats and insults. They've never called a man a liar and gotten a punch in the nose in return, so they too easily call a man a liar. They cannot quite imagine that if they do say something vaguely threatening, that it will ever really come to anything, so they are liberal with threats, never supposing they'll have to cash the check they're writing.
Hmm
And when they have emptied and swept clean the soul of him who is now in their power and who is being initiated by them in great mysteries, the next thing is to bring back to their house insolence and anarchy and waste and impudence in bright array having garlands on their heads, and a great company with them, hymning their praises and calling them by sweet names; insolence they term breeding, and anarchy liberty, and waste magnificence, and impudence courage. And so the young man passes out of his original nature, which was trained in the school of necessity, into the freedom and libertinism of useless and unnecessary pleasures.
...Yes, I said, he lives from day to day indulging the appetite of the hour; and sometimes he is lapped in drink and strains of the flute; then he becomes a water-drinker, and tries to get thin; then he takes a turn at gymnastics; sometimes idling and neglecting everything, then once more living the life of a philosopher; often he-is busy with politics, and starts to his feet and says and does whatever comes into his head; and, if he is emulous of any one who is a warrior, off he is in that direction, or of men of business, once more in that. His life has neither law nor order; and this distracted existence he terms joy and bliss and freedom; and so he goes on.
Bring back dueling, I say.

If someone is being a jerk in PM’s, drop us a line. We do not want people like that here.

d7cbea65c1c18f9ae9c8dd4d7f4ee2f5.jpg

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
@saltedplug:
George Carlin thought that we are headed for extinction, and that we in the US have squandered a verdant country for scabrous legions of malls, studded by half a dozen monstrous fast food joints. Even important institutions are being overwhelmed by the sea of greed, poverty, violence and corruption. The US is a decadent, corrupt and aging superpower, and our arrogance and greed is unparalleled, except of course by the Claudian emperors who would give any regime a run for the money. The American Century lasted 30 years.
Societies self-destruct when they prioritize social good feelings over realistic thinking.
But, the American people still remain, surrounded by lots of NPCs and bit players.
They can fix this any day they want.
And when they do, any person who says, "We could always tax tobacco and alcohol" will probably simply be shot on sight.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
No quotes come to mind, but someone going so bonkers over a disagreement about tobacco suggests that he needs to seek some serious professional help. The weirdest one I've received was from that whole leaf Perique schmuck who tried to threaten me with the wrath of Jesus. In any population there are going to be some very damaged personalities.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Dan: Ah man, we're screwed!
Roseanne: No, Dan. We're so far beyond screwed, the light from screwed will take a billion years to reach [us].

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
From "The Unforgiven":
The Schofield Kid: [after killing a man for the first time] It don't seem real... how he ain't gonna never breathe again, ever... how he's dead. And the other one too. All on account of pulling a trigger.
Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.
The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
jay-roger.jpg

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
This is so farcical that Seinfeld covered it in the far out episode where Kramer is thought to be a serial killer in LA:

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/0b829e06-3578-41ae-94fa-09c758c10382

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
BRUTUS ...That we shall die, we know; 'tis but the time

And drawing days out, that men stand upon.
CASSIUS Why, he that cuts off twenty years of life

Cuts off so many years of fearing death.
BRUTUS Grant that, and then is death a benefit:

So are we Caesar's friends, that have abridged

His time of fearing death.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Last Brutus lines:
We did Caesar a favor by killing him so now he can stop fearing death.

The rationalization of a thug!

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Deathmetal, Mark Twain said:
“I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.”
Mark Twain was a wise, wise man.

Status
Not open for further replies.