PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
"I hurt somebody's feelings once."
So. . . What famous movie quote would be apropos to you?
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Though it is a kids' film, I love the line by Creulla de Ville (sp?) talking with her butler and his response, in 101 Dalmations. He says something oozing with flattery, and she says with utter disdain, "What kind of a sycophant are you?" And he raises one eyebrow and says, "What kind of a sycophant would you like me to be?" I think it's one of the best comic lines since Oscar Wilde died. I hope it isn't apropos of me but I love the line. Best line from "The Importance of Being Ernest," by Wilde, is when an old dowager asks a young man if his parents are living. He says, no I lost both my parents. And she rears back and says, when you lose one parent that is misfortune, but when you lose two parents it looks like carelessness.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
"He worked in profanity the way other artists worked in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master." - Ralph Parker (A Christmas Story)

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or f**king beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man and give some back.
-Al Swearengen

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
"I want to see mountains again, Gandalf, mountains."

Plenty of mountains here, of course, but I haven't traveled in the longest while. I find myself saying it often. It's the feeling of wanting to go on an adventure.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
To be clear: This thread brought to you thanks to the inspiration provided me by the threatening private message sent to me today. On this forum. About tobacco. Seriously. About tobacco.
Sigh. I do LOVE me a good paradox, like the anonymous internet tough guy with a sensitive nature. So yeah: I hurt somebody's feelings once.
For the record: I am always willing to meet and chat about things over a cup of coffee. I really like coffee. I'll even buy. I think if you can get a guy close enough to you to share a cup of coffee, stuff just has a way of getting worked out.
I'm south of Miami, but always willing to travel a reasonable distance for a satisfying cup of coffee.
Here's where I think this comes from: These days, a lot of younger men grow up without ever experiencing any violence in their lives. This is largely a good thing, of course. We all strive for a society where peace is the order of the day. But with the exception of the few young men who choose to enter the service or the police (or a few other professions) the vast majority grow up unaccustomed to any violence at all. No schoolyard fights. No barroom brawls. They think violence looks and feels and smells and tastes like what they watch in the theater or on their video game console. It is remote; an abstraction.
So I think that makes them casual and free with threats and insults. They've never called a man a liar and gotten a punch in the nose in return, so they too easily call a man a liar. They cannot quite imagine that if they do say something vaguely threatening, that it will ever really come to anything, so they are liberal with threats, never supposing they'll have to cash the check they're writing. They are anonymous and distant and -- golly -- guys don't ever actually FIGHT anymore, do they?
Some of us, though, grew up differently from that. By choice or circumstance, we are not unaccustomed to bloodying our hands -- or being bloodied ourselves. We've been on both sides of it; we've survived it. It is real to us. So we tend to have lines we won't cross, unless we really mean to cross them in earnest. ("An armed society is a polite society," as RAH said. That's about temperament, not hardware.) But we also don't back down; we don't flinch.
Yeah. Over tobacco.
"I hurt somebody's feelings once."

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
From the movie Harvey (1950)
Elwood P. Dowd: Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
"Well, it's a mess ain't it?"
"If it ain't it'll do until the mess gets here."

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Read Telexs thread fast, thought he wanted who said that, my bad, the thing that has always stuck with me in my Naval training is If you're gonna be stupid you'd better be hard. Growing in the 50s there was no jive ass talk, you better think before you MFed somebody.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Whoa, man, sorry. I thought this was partly about screen writing. Even if you're not a brawler, sometimes at three o'clock in the morning in the Emergency Room, you can work it out and make it better with a little luck. Here's a Dylan Thomas quote, or near paraphrase: "Isn't life terrible ... thank God."

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"I am leaving soon, and you will forgive me if I speak bluntly. The universe grows smaller every day, and the threat of aggression by any group, anywhere, can no longer be tolerated. There must be security for all, or no one is secure. Now, this does not mean giving up any freedom, except the freedom to act irresponsibly. Your ancestors knew this when they made laws to govern themselves and hired policemen to enforce them. We, of the other planets, have long accepted this principle. We have an organization for the mutual protection of all planets and for the complete elimination of aggression. The test of any such higher authority is, of course, the police force that supports it. For our policemen, we created a race of robots. Their function is to patrol the planets in spaceships like this one and preserve the peace. In matters of aggression, we have given them absolute power over us. This power cannot be revoked. At the first sign of violence, they act automatically against the aggressor. The penalty for provoking their action is too terrible to risk. The result is, we live in peace, without arms or armies, secure in the knowledge that we are free from aggression and war. Free to pursue more... profitable enterprises. Now, we do not pretend to have achieved perfection, but we do have a system, and it works. I came here to give you these facts. It is no concern of ours how you run your own planet, but if you threaten to extend your violence, this Earth of yours will be reduced to a burned-out cinder. Your choice is simple: join us and live in peace, or pursue your present course and face obliteration. We shall be waiting for your answer. The decision rests with you."
Klaatu's speech to the scientists and others prior to leaving Earth to return to his home planet.

The Day The Earth Stood Still - 1951.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Rooster Cogburn: You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him. 8O

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Klaatu's speech to the scientists and others prior to leaving Earth to return to his home planet.

The Day The Earth Stood Still - 1951.
Ah yes, the old "robots will keep the peace" ploy. We're just about on the verge of having that one played on us.
Even worse than robots...the slaughterbots are coming soon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzEeJca_YaQ

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The simultaneous anonymity and public nature of forums invites acting out. The public platform assures that others will listen, and the virtual world provides cover. If you say you know something with assurance someone will say that you don't; I saw Greg Pease attacked on another board because he was an "expert," though that's what he is. As you know the higher level smokers don't come around.
George Carlin thought that we are headed for extinction, and that we in the US have squandered a verdant country for scabrous legions of malls, studded by half a dozen monstrous fast food joints. Even important institutions are being overwhelmed by the sea of greed, poverty, violence and corruption. The US is a decadent, corrupt and aging superpower, and our arrogance and greed is unparalleled, except of course by the Claudian emperors who would give any regime a run for the money. The American Century lasted 30 years.
But back to the board, cowboys are to be expected. Manners and compassion decline and self-obsession, the root of all addictions, is the norm. Dysfunctional families produce it. It takes time to learn that the same courtesy and tact needed IRL are needed online, and that posturing and ugliness won't wash.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
Wow tslex , that is messed up. I've been threatened over a stupid misunderstanding myself (elsewhere on the interwebs). Never really understood it

Status
Not open for further replies.